Scam?

Name
Jak
Edit My Images
No
I very recently changed providers for my mobile phone, and a few days later this arrived:
Scam.jpg

I'm not with O2 so I must presume it's some kind of scam?

Very likely!

Who is your provider? Many use O2 as their carrier. There are only a handful of mobile providers so GiffGaff et al use the main ones and rebrand.

I would ignore and see if you get any more. If you do, you can always contact your provider through their website to confirm.

Thanks Adrian, plus I didn't request a 'one time code'?

They're not asking for anything, the thing that looks suspicious to me is that someone requested a one-time code.

Were you with O2, did you ever have an account with them? might be time to deactivate it

Last edited:
Seems a bit of a strange scam, as they are basically warning you about a scam :)

At a guess, you're with a second tier service provider and O2 is the real provider - or it could be a simple SNAFU with their database.

Every so often I find out where someone who shares my name is flying off to, because their travel agent has my email address rather than my namesake's. I keep trying to warn the airline but nothing seems to work and now the messages are coming from an unmonitored account.

I hope the other Andrew hasn't missed his flight! :wideyed:

I'd rather not say who I'm with, but not with O2. The O2 website says they will never text a customer with a one time code?
"Remember, we will never email, text, or call you and ask for a one-time code, password, or other security information you've set up on your O2 account. "

They'll send a code to a tel number that has an account set up I think.
'202' is a call to their customers services, from an O2 phone. It'll be a different number to dial from another provider.

The code sent appears to also be a link. Can you see what the address is without clicking on it?

The code sent appears to also be a link. Can you see what the address is without clicking on it?
My phone turns every number in a text into a link but not a link to anywhere, just the colour and underline.

No, as John says, a telephone number is underlined blue regardless of an existing link or not. I suspect that someone requested a one time code, and miskeyed the number, instead they input mine.

There are some inattentive and not very bright people around. So one miss-typed a digit of their phone number when trying to login causing this to be sent to you instead. Not a big deal. There is no way you are getting shafted as long as you don't somehow give that code back to the same entity. Think clever social engineering or NSA-GCHQ stingray devices.

I very recently changed providers for my mobile phone, and a few days later this arrived:
View attachment 341372

Looks a bit dodgy to me.

Things might be different with mobiles but whenever I get a one time pass code from the bank or credit card company it is usually them who have initiated it. Even if I have asked for one, it simply arrives. I don't get a message asking me to click a link so I can get the code.

I realise you are not going to click on the link as you did not request the pass code but clicking on it could take you anywhere.

Dave

I sent the text to 02 for their info, then deleted it. We exchanged some emails and arrived at the same conclusion, requested in error by a.n.other.

It's not always in error, depending on how some O2 business accounts are set up when changing user information it might send out the one time code to the number originally set up on the account. We had this issue when trying to remove a user who wanted to PAC their number but the account wouldn't let us, they kept sending one time codes to the phone we were trying to cancel from the admin account. If the number assigned before transferring a PAC was used it might have been linked to someone still trying to get access to something they shouldn't be.

Back