Scanner focussing - amazing what just a tiny difference makes

The film holders have little stand-offs on the underside to raise the overall holder above the glass. The height of the neg above the glass is the combination of the thickness of the shelf that the neg sits on, and how much the stand-off protrudes beyond that. On the two-strip 120 holder for my V700, that's 2mm for the shelf and about 1.5mm for the stand-offs, placing the neg a total of 3.5mm from the glass.

The stand-offs can be inserted in one of two ways, which results in a slight difference in the amount of protrusion, which is intended to allow for a bit of tweaking of focus. I tried that ages ago and couldn't see any notable difference.

I'm hard pressed to see the difference

Me too

The third one seems a bit sharper.

If it is then it is very slight ( not unlike the very subtle differences in the two scans that I posted)

For me, both of those "tests" show that the V550 and V700 will scan negs adequatley well, be they installed in holders or placed directly on the glass.

Now then, I have an older Epson 4890 or possibly 4980, mainly because it was the cheapest way of getting something that will scan LF, so I shall try a similar thing tomorrow just for lols and quite possibly giggles.

I had that before the V700, and many of my scans were done on it. Possibly because I don't use 35mm, and don't print larger than A3 with 120 and A2 with 5x4, I can't honestly say that there's a lot of difference in the end results. I still think it's a good scanner.

I've been happy with it, in fact I actually think it's better than the v500 I had previously.

I scan LF on the V550, I just scan the neg in two parts and then use panorama stitch to join them together.

People seem to be hostile to Vuescan
Not really hostile, just a bit of banter, some people prefer one application, some another and there is really no right or wrong, just whatever works for you.

I've had problems with curved 120 negs on a V700 and now routinely scan the negs back to front (compared to the holder graphics) and then flip them round. I enquired about a 120 holder with glass listed on ebay by a German website, but they couldn't tell me if it was Anti-Newton glass. I've since sent a request to a British company making A-N glass to get a price for a piece that would fit 1 strip of a V700 120 holder, but never got the courtesy of a reply, far less a price.

I've had problems with curved 120 negs on a V700 and now routinely scan the negs back to front (compared to the holder graphics) and then flip them round. I enquired about a 120 holder with glass listed on ebay by a German website, but they couldn't tell me if it was Anti-Newton glass. I've since sent a request to a British company making A-N glass to get a price for a piece that would fit 1 strip of a V700 120 holder, but never got the courtesy of a reply, far less a price.
Both very poor customer service!

Both very poor customer service!
Unfortunately the case Chris, but I was more disappointed in the German site as I thought they could have contacted their supplier to find out. I would have thought that A-N glass would have been about the only reason for buying the holder, so it would have been a smart move for them to find out. It was to have been about £35 delivered, whereas there is a UK one listed at £49.50 delivered, which is way too much for what it is, and it might not even be any better. The listing also says they are waiting for stock into the new year, so why would anyone trust this to appear. :thinking:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Epson-Ho...577725?hash=item23b9f32f7d:g:hckAAOSwmOJZ-jc~

Back