Scanner Recommendations

So @wibbly did you get everything up and running? How is it working for you?

I'm very close to picking up either the 8100 or the Reflecta 10T which is a lot more expensive but much better (apparently). I can't believe that the V550 is the main thing keeping me from shooting 35mm.

Yes, all set up relatively easy for me to, thanks. Perfect for what I want for 35mm.

Just to add a bit of info to this thread, my two year old rarely used Epson V550 has just bitten the dust. Powered it up this morning, or rather I didn’t because it’s as dead as a dodo : no lights, nada. Not very impressed.

I’ve ordered a replacement power supply as I think that’s the issue. I put a meter across the input and got 240v AC but there’s nothing on the DC side. If that doesn’t solve it I’ll be looking for a used Plustek from the sound of the recommendations.

I guess I'll update my bit. The 8100 is a much more capable machine than the V550. I use the Epson to make low res (but quick) contact sheets then re-scan individual frames for larger printing. It's a very nice workflow.

The only downside is specific to having Silverfast, and the Plusteks in addition to an Epson. When you get the code (free) with your Plustek there's no way I could find to add the code to your existing software. I needed to download another copy of Silverfast to another location and register the key I got with the 8100.

After that initial faff though, everything is now ticking over.

Back