Scanning old 35mm slides...

Name
Reg
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi. Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but here goes....

I have found a box full of old 35mm slides that date back to the 1970's and there are quite a few of the photos I would like to keep. I know it is possible to scan the slides and convert them into jpg files on the computer, but was wondering if anyone can offer advice as to what is a reasonably good scanner at a sensible price?

Thanks is advance for any advice :)

Reg

While this is probably better moved to the film section, which I shall request a mod to do for you, as you'll probably get a better response there, I shall offer my advice here and now :)

in my opinion, it boils down to how many you have, what you want to do with them, and can you see yourself using a scanner after this job is done?

To the former, if you have hundreds to do, then it is up to you as to whether you can be bothered to sit there and scan them all in manually after having bought a scanner (starting at about £50-£80 iirc). so it's a toss up between potentially paying over the odds and getting a shop such as jessops or other company to do it, or buying a scanner and spending potentially a lot of your time on it. If you only have 30-40 or so, take them to jessops. Will have them done next day.

Last edited:
Moved to F&C...

And my two-pennorth...

Scanning slides (or negatives for that matter) in bulk is a pain in the backside. It's just about acceptable, for a single roll of film at a time, if you've nothing better to do for an evening. But, if you've a pile of them, get them to a scanning service !

If you stated a firm budget, it would be a lot easier to give you an exact recommendation - 'sensible price' is a subjective thing :)

And are you looking to print them, enlarge them, just have them to look at on your computer and maybe print at 6x4 size?

If you stated a firm budget, it would be a lot easier to give you an exact recommendation - 'sensible price' is a subjective thing :)

And are you looking to print them, enlarge them, just have them to look at on your computer and maybe print at 6x4 size?

Thanks for the reply. My main aim, at least initially, is to get the photos onto my PC. I can then decide which ones (if any) I want to get printed.

I'm not going looking now, but I have in the past seen people on ebay offering scanning services that may suit your needs. Save yourself a lot of hours and grief and get somebody else to do it.

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I've been into Jessops this morning and their service is both quick and well priced so will probably go there. :)

Back