Scans from eBay Negatives

Name
Mark Gameson
Edit My Images
Yes
So before Christmas I brought a job lot of negatives off eBay mainly because they had images of the Canals in particular the one that runs past Mom and Dad's house I am slowly scanning them and have set up a Flickr account to share the more interesting images I will upload more as I get chance and also use the account to share further images found on old rolls of film that come in to my possession

My parents house and old boat 'Time' on the inside.

img694 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

One of Kidderminster's old carpet factories now a a department store and hotel

img692 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

Lake Como

img605 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

img620 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

Create 1984

img513 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

img514 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

img539 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/161389943@N02/

It looks like some of these have been scanned the wrong way round (signs back to front and watches on people's right wrists, etc.). I find scanning negs the right way round will usually give better results if using a fatbed scanner. On my Epson flatbed it's 'shiny side' of the negative or slide facing down. Maybe pick one with some shop signs on it and see if it's the same on yours?

It looks like some of these have been scanned the wrong way round (signs back to front and watches on people's right wrists, etc.). I find scanning negs the right way round will usually give better results if using a fatbed scanner. On my Epson flatbed it's 'shiny side' of the negative or slide facing down. Maybe pick one with some shop signs on it and see if it's the same on yours?

Thanks Mr Badger I've been looking at them thinking some of them didn't look right I've been scanning them shiny side up:eggface::facepalm:.

Will have ago with them shiny side down. Other than scanning with medium dust remove, medium colour correction and Digital ICE I've not touched them

Last edited by a moderator:
The 3 from Crete are definitely backwards. The harbour looks like Heraklion (Well, noilkareH!!!)

LOL signs back to front - minor details. It was the people walking backwards that gave it away wasn't it :D

Interesting project

Well Ive spent a little time rescanning some of the negatives including those that I posted earlier.

STRATTFORD AND GRAND UNION CANALAS 1988016 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

STRATTFORD AND GRAND UNION CANALAS 1988009 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

RIVER NENE 1985019 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

I've had to stop scanning now though as it keeps telling me to remove the cover (it isn't fitted) I've restarted the scanner and computer and now it won't let me select film as the media to scan its an Epson V500 if anyone has any ideas I would be grateful.

Well Ive spent a little time rescanning some of the negatives including those that I posted earlier.

STRATTFORD AND GRAND UNION CANALAS 1988016 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

STRATTFORD AND GRAND UNION CANALAS 1988009 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

RIVER NENE 1985019 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

I've had to stop scanning now though as it keeps telling me to remove the cover (it isn't fitted) I've restarted the scanner and computer and now it won't let me select film as the media to scan its an Epson V500 if anyone has any ideas I would be grateful.
That last one looks like the lock at Cogenhoe just outside Northampton, a popular place to go in the summer where the foolhardy would climb the metal lock gate and jump into the lock.

What a great idea - buying negatives and looking to see what interesting stories they hold!! I find these pictures fascinating. I just find pictures like this make me lose my self imagining the details of that brief moment they capture. Really enjoyed these!!

What a great idea - buying negatives and looking to see what interesting stories they hold!! I find these pictures fascinating. I just find pictures like this make me lose my self imagining the details of that brief moment they capture. Really enjoyed these!!

Thanks Gil I've got loads more to scan form this batch.

Your right about memories as I was scanning images that were label Mylton Keynes Rally 1985 mom and dad said we where there ( I was 5/6) you can image my surprise and delight when I found an image of our old narrow boat (I've still got to upload that batch!)

I suppose in the future people will be also finding old digi memory cards and viewing them.

I have scanned lots of slides that I have bought from a well known source and, from time to time, published a result but I have never put my name to the resulting image because I thought this was illegal. Am I correct in my supposition?

I have scanned lots of slides that I have bought from a well known source and, from time to time, published a result but I have never put my name to the resulting image because I thought this was illegal. Am I correct in my supposition?

The ones I've scanned here came with copyright included according to the add

The only reason it has my name in the link is because it one of my Flickr accounts

Last edited by a moderator:
The ones I've scanned here came with copyright included according to the add

The only reason it has my name in the link is because it one of my Flickr accounts
Copyright gives you the right to copy. It does not, and cannot, give you the moral rights (that is, the right to be known as the author) so you should not be adding your name if it can give the impression that you are the creator.

Not sure it's possible for Flickr hosted, embedded pics to NOT show the poster's name as part of the link. Mark's made it perfectly clear in the OP that the slides aren't his work so I can't see any problems but IANAL.

Copyright gives you the right to copy. It does not, and cannot, give you the moral rights (that is, the right to be known as the author) so you should not be adding your name if it can give the impression that you are the creator.

I have not tried to claim I am the creator! Nor would I ever dream of doing so.

Not sure it's possible for Flickr hosted, embedded pics to NOT show the poster's name as part of the link. Mark's made it perfectly clear in the OP that the slides aren't his work so I can't see any problems but IANAL.

Thanks Nod I have just updated the album descriptions on Flickr and in the about tab on the Flickr account I have set up to share these images to avoid any doubt.

I have not tried to claim I am the creator! Nor would I ever dream of doing so.
Except your first post says "image xxx by Mark Gameson" . I understand that the system has done that for you but it is still contravening the moral rights of the actual creator.

Except your first post says "image xxx by Mark Gameson" . I understand that the system has done that for you but it is still contravening the moral rights of the actual creator.

How much clearer can I make it I am not claiming to be the photographer/creator I have said that in my OP I have put it in the album description I can not change how Flickr works I have to enter MY name to have an account

Right I've taken my name off the account (lets see how long before it's deleted)

Absolute shambles that you've done that. Good grief. Anyway, when you copy the link from Flickr, you can delete that bit from appearing in your post. I always do and none of my images on the forum have that little bit attached to them.....I shall demonstrate thus...

After you paste the BBCode, just delete the bit up until the second [/url] :)

Absolute shambles that you've done that. Good grief. Anyway, when you copy the link from Flickr, you can delete that bit from appearing in your post. I always do and none of my images on the forum have that little bit attached to them.....I shall demonstrate thus...

Thanks for the tip, I never knew you could delete mos of the link I only took my name off the account becuase I couldn't see a way of stopping myself from being wrongly accused of claim I was the creator.

Cheers for that tip, Gareth. Like Mark, I didn't realise you can do that!

. I'm always a sucker for seeing old photo's, so it's fun to see 1980s era Renault's and Fiats on a ferry. :)

Dunno about Renaults and Fiats but mine is the golden Corsair on the transporter bridge in Newport:-
1eEeBXs.jpg
img312-crop.jpg

Last edited:
Got some to scan or Forumla 3000 back in 1999 and just waiting for the 2 or 3 films I've sent of to Filmdev to come back and will share any interesting images form them

Back