School photographer appalling

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the BBC article:

"It is understand some class photographs were taken before the pupils with additional support needs were brought in.

Despite pictures then being taken which included all the pupils, parents were still given the option of both."

I wonder if we are being presented with things as they really were?

Might well Facepalm, however my wife has given 40 years to help these children with life skills. She wouldn't give you the time of day. :wave: However thinks overly highlighting these issues doesn't benefit the children if they see it.

From the BBC article:

"It is understand some class photographs were taken before the pupils with additional support needs were brought in.

Despite pictures then being taken which included all the pupils, parents were still given the option of both."

Yes, that question needs to be asked about many "news" stories these days, the BBC ans $ky versions differed slightly, but enough to make one wonder what the true story is.
It did seem that it happened with more than one group though, which if it did, would suggest it was intentional, and not a mistake while waiting.

Might well Facepalm, however my wife has given 40 years to help these children with life skills. She wouldn't give you the time of day. :wave: However thinks overly highlighting these issues doesn't benefit the children if they see it.
That is why I think the system here is flawed, it seems they have to be given a diagnosis then pigeon holed, which to my mind goes the wrong direction.

From the BBC article:

That sounds more like a school thing than a photographer issue to me.

That is why I think the system here is flawed, it seems they have to be given a diagnosis then pigeon holed, which to my mind goes the wrong direction.
But how else could you target support without a diagnosis?

When I was a kid most of these children would have had no additional support, and would have left school uneducated. Through a mix of alienation, bullying and self elimination.

It is understand some class photographs were taken before the pupils with additional support needs were brought in.
When I was a kid, the school organised when we had to go in for our photos, not the photographer. He just photographed whoever he was presented with.
Why did the school segregate the kids for two different photos, or was it just bad organising?

But how else could you target support without a diagnosis?

When I was a kid most of these children would have had no additional support, and would have left school uneducated. Through a mix of alienation, bullying and self elimination.
I didn't put that the way I meant it.
Too much effort is spent finding a box to put them in, hence the diagnosis, but I agree a diagnosis may help to give them the needed support.
I have seen cases of wrong diagnosis, and of guidance following a diagnosis being too extreme and hindering rather than helping.
A skilled and experienced teacher can do far more good than a technical diagnosis.

The system is too busy putting ticks in boxes and covering their backs, rather than actually helping the kids in the way a teacher and other staff can.

The
alienation, bullying and self elimination.

Are other factors that are quite well dealt with now overall

"Tempest Photography has apologised for what it described as "not standard procedure" and said it was "taking this matter very seriously".

I work in social care, mostly with people who have learning difficulties or what is oft referred to as intellectual disability - we don't use the term 'special needs' anymore, I don't think anyone in the field does, at least not over here.

Part of my job is to advocate for service users, and to assist them as they work toward integration in the community. When I started, just 5 years ago, I was shocked at how some members of the public [albeit a small minority] would almost recoil in horror if one of our guys approached them to say hello or God forbid, offer a hand-shake greeting. That has changed significantly, just within the past 2-3 years alone, because people are seeing these guys out and about in the community more, they've gotten to know them by name [and their individual character] through asking questions instead of speed walking away or completely ignoring them. They're not hidden away like something to be ashamed of anymore, they're just as much a part of any community as everyone else.

If a person with a learning difficulty is in a 'main stream' school, they have been assessed and past fit to attend that school, they are not merely there to make up the numbers. There are indeed specific schools that cater for people with more severe learning disabilities. So this is puzzling to me, they've been accepted into the school, and no doubt accepted by their class mates, so why then seperate them for group photos? The photographer in this case really needs to brush up on their own learning difficulties.

After previous years where schools photographers have been beautifying kids without being asked.

Some utter moron appears to have taken it upon themselves to offer group photos without ‘children with special educational needs’.

What goes through peoples minds that makes them think this is ok?

I agree. It is not as if someone made a mistake. What sort of person could think something like that?

Dave

Right - now i've had time to read through all the posts, and the RTM's and inwardly digest them - I've re-opened the thread for this one last post.

We're not having the best of time at the moment staff wise - and we're NOT going to put up with ANY s*** from anyone.

measures have been taken

That is all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back