Scotland for Landscapes ?

Name
Real
Edit My Images
Yes
Just wondered if anyone would recommend a good place in the UK for some great landscapes photos. I'm thinking Lake District, Peak, Highlands, Gowen Peninsular - please let me know if you have any thoughts.

Thank you,

I live in Perthshire and there are some great places around here but I personally prefer the wilder places such as the Western Isles, Sutherland, Wester Ross etc (y)

Last edited:
cool, any known walks or trails or just take it as it comes?

There have been a few threads relating specifically to Skye that went into more detailed locations.

Last edited:
Northumberland, especially the coast they have several good castles.

Queens view looks amazing (i was going to use the word sick but it doesn't seem right on here)

This is one I took of The Queen's View a number of years ago if that helps.

There are so many places in Scotland, Snowdonia or The Lakes to point a camera at you end up spoilt for choice..

There are loads of places around the Trossachs- Loch Voil, Loch Earn, Loch Lomond etc and some rather nice mountains :)
Here's Loch Voil,
Loch Voil, Helios 44-2 by kendo1111, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'm with Mark on this, Glencoe is my personal favourite, there are so many photo locations in such a relatively small area. I prefer winter shooting in this area (too many midges in the summer).

Skye is another classic location, but you seem to spend most of the time chasing the light as weather conditions can be changeable to say the least.

I'm with Chris; almost anywhere in Scotland is pretty much great but north and west of the Great Glen is superb - just Google for Torridon, Loch Alsh, Applecross, Loch Maree. Then try Skye, Lewis, Harris, Orkney and Shetland.

How long are you planning for your trip?

Dave

You are now entering Glencoe !

2ilbjud.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with the images that Steve has shown above. There is so much to choose from in Scotland. I live in Deeside and there is so much to pick up this side too.

My favourite place is the Isle of Skye, it is just packed full of landscape wherever you look. My website and Facebook page have images from around Skye and also the Northeast if you want to see what I have.

Whatever you decide on you won't be disappointed, but take some midge spray :)

Reactions: ST4
I'm with Chris; almost anywhere in Scotland is pretty much great but north and west of the Great Glen is superb - just Google for Torridon, Loch Alsh, Applecross, Loch Maree. Then try Skye, Lewis, Harris, Orkney and Shetland.

How long are you planning for your trip?

Dave

If you've only time for one area then the north west coast would be top of my list, especially the Assynt area.

Im from down in Surrey and super jealous of some of the scenery you guys get up there. I was looking at doing a little trip round the lake district? maybe 3/4 days. Looks beautiful although tempted to hold off till some autumn colours start appearing?

If you've only time for one area then the north west coast would be top of my list, especially the Assynt area.

Agreed - Assynt along with Western Isles, Sutherland, Wester Ross etc

It all depends on your preferred type of landscape I guess.

I'd vote for these as I live in Perthshire so they're 'different' landscapes to where I live.

If you get right up the top end of Scotland theres some pretty unique landscapes on offer. Really spectacular open land full of hills and lochans

Northumberland, especially the coast they have several good castles.

I would second this recently spent a few days between Holy island and Craster on the Northumberland coast its a awesome bit of Coastline Beautifully clean and plenty to point your camera at.

I can recommend Inverness as basecamp, hire a car and take the route up to Isle of Skye or Castle of May where the queen mother used to live. Peaks of Duncansbey is gorgeous where the puffins breeding place is.
Neem there only with my film camera and plan to visit them again next year with my D700 and other lenses.
Will be my best place to return every time.
You can also get on the Puffin Express tour coach if you don't wan to hire a car as they stop for photos around the route for nice photos.

Back