Scotland Scotland Highland

Name
Victor
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I know this is quite last minute, but I am actually looking for a photography tour for Scotland Highland during October, and possibly some surrounding areas. I am an overseas student and will be going back soon so want to use this opportunity to explore the magnificent highland.

Is there any recommended photography tour that you guys know? Ideally a 2-3 days tour.

Thank you.

I am biased but would definitely include Skye which in a way distills much that Scotland has to offer into a relatively small area; mountains,, lochs, coast, historic buildings, whisky distilleries etc etc.
The drive to Skye is pretty awesome, too, assuming you are coming from the south; can include Loch Lomond, Glencoe and Glen Etive and Ranoch Moor before arriving at Fort William and the nearby Ben Nevis which is the UK's highest mountain.

Not sure of your budget but suspect the above courses are more than you might want to pay! You can easily arrange a trip yourself using budget accommodation such as hostels, bunkhouses or camping (although some sites may well have closed for the winter).

On Skye check out Elgol for it's coastal views across to the Cuillin mountains. Sligachan for old bridge and Cuillin views, also campsite and accommodation and the pub has a wide range of single malt whiskies. Neist Point for the lighthouse and sunsets. Old Man of Storr and the Quiraing.

Let me know if you want any more details. I may well be on Skye etc for some of October so may be able to help point out things.
Enjoy your trip. The one big down ide of Scotland, midges, should be long gone and with a bit of luck you may get some good weather but don't bank on it.

I'll second Adrians suggested route. I've done it myself many times. The scenery is fantastic. Lots of places you'll want to pull over to take some shots.

Thanks all!

I managed to get two more friends with me so now I can arrange my own itinerary. Thanks very much Adrian for the suggestions and they all look awesome to me! And now I have to try to arrange them into my 3d2n trips.

May I know where are good places for me to overnight? I am currently thinking to have a night at Glencoe Village, and yet to decide another.

Take a look at the North Coast 500 route.

I did this route 2 weeks ago over 7 days and added in an extra part to the route to cover Skye.

The route is stunning (particularly the west coast) with many photographic opportunities.

3 days isn't enough to cover the whole route, but certainly to cover Skye and some of what the west coast has to offer.

For info on the route and maps etc check out www.northcoast500.com

Hi Victor,
sorry about the delay in replying.

Glencoe would be a good stop. Apart from camping, the only places I have stayed are

www.glencoehostel.co.uk/

which is cheap, clean and ideally located

www.clachaig.com/

which is more expensive but much more luxurious and in an even better position and has an excellent bar

On Skye there are various hostels like

http://skyebackpackers.com/?gclid=C...6rp7h3ebSjCQ5odywY2G0I5_GjeY1vUTU0aAv0l8P8HAQ

or
www.sligachan.co.uk

The Sligachan Inn is brilliantly located with views of the Cuillin Ridge etc and also has a cheap bunkhouse and camping.
I'm guessing that this late in the year accommodation won't be fully booked (except perhaps during the week of school half term) and you could just travel around and turn up.

See the link below for some examples of Skye photo and if you like them please go to the link and vote

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/cuillin-ridge.602044/

Don't hesitate to let me know if you need any more information.

I would recommend Scotland to anyone. It is a wonderful place with scenery to rival anywhere.

Your profile Victor says you are based in Newcastle, even from that far north, the 3 day 2 night trip you mentioned is going to be punishing if you include Skye. A round trip from Newcastle to say central Skye is over 650 miles, and that does not include visiting places on the way. More than 200 miles a day is pretty decent on good roads and I'm not suggesting Scottish roads are bad but you'll need time for eating, photos and just being bowled over by how wonderful it looks.

I would not want to put anyone off from visiting Skye - it excellent, but when driving Scotland is a deceptively large country and it is very easy, as I know from past experience, to spend too much time in the car.

Dave

Thanks all for the input! They are helping a lot in my planning. I have just came out with a provisional itinerary and hope this will work.

1st day
Newcastle > (6 hrs drive) > Rannoch Moor (1 hour) > (3 hrs drive) > Glencoe (Overnight)

2nd day
Glencoe > (1 hr drive) > Glen Etive (1.30 hr) > (4.30hrs drive) > Neist Point (1.30 hr) > (45 minutes drive) > Sligachan (Overnight)

3rd day

Sligachan > (1.15 hr drive) > Fairie Glen (1.15 hr) > (1 hr drive) > Old Man of Storr (2 hrs) > Fairy Pool (2 hours) > (30 minutes drive) > Sligachan (Overnight)

4th day

Back Newcastle

Before going back to Newcastle, is there any place that I could visit while on the way back?

I have allow more time on the road as the driver is a careful lady driver so I allow more time for that

Please advice.

Thanks very much for all the great help!

Last edited:
I'm not sure that the timings are accurate there e.g. 3 hours to drive from Rannoch moor to Glencoe. It's not that far.
Also I'd swap Neist point for Elgol and Fairy Glen for Quiraing.
You could leave Glen Etive to visit on the way back to Newcastle, maybe stopping at Eilean Donan castle on the way also.

Agree with Marie that the timings are wrong also with swapping Elgol for Neist Point (although probably only worth driving to Elgol along miles of single track road if the weather is good and you will be able to see the Cuillin mountains across the water).

Thanks for the suggestion. Was too busy with moving house the past week and did not have time to continue with the plan.

The time is based on from Moor of Rannoch Hotel to Glencoe and it shows that I will need to go all the way back and make a big circle and it confused me. Will 1 hour be enough for that?

For the swap, I would try to figure it out how should I put them into the itinerary. But the photos in the internet for Neist Point and Fairy Glen seem like catching my interest more.

I am biased but would definitely include Skye which in a way distills much that Scotland has to offer into a relatively small area

I completely agree. Skye was brilliant and the drive up from Glasgow covers some of the other highlights and some landscapes that you would otherwise not see on Skye. I've been there in late Spring and am planning on returning to the island next winter. I'm glad to see that your itinerary includes it.

Hi

I'm going up there in Jan and wondered how your trip panned out, timings and locations?

John

Back