Scottish landscape photographers help required

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

I've just begun a module named Environment in which i've to produce 8 images consisting of 2 of the following

Landscapes
Urban
Rural
Natural History

and i was wondering if you guys had any ideas of where i could head to that may allow me to shoot these images and preferably combine more than one category. I was thinking that in places like Barons Haugh, Motherwell there's a bird watching area and i could probably get a landscape there too and maybe even the same at places like Palacerigg or Balloch but since i've never done any landscape stuff at all i was wondering if there are places that stick out to folk who know more about this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The time frame for this module is reasonable and the images have to be presented by the 1st June so it gives me plenty of time to recce these places.

I am in Coatbridge but i drive so i'm willing to travel maybe 50 miles or so or further if necessary.

Regards

Scott

You are in the best country for landscape! Isle of Skye ..... Edinburgh you could cover all bases there!

I agree with Mark, Edinburgh and anything on the perimeter should cover all your categories.

City centre for your Urban stuff,
north of Edinburgh (coastline) for your landscape stuff,
Pentland Hills regional park for your rural stuff
Botanic gardens for your natural history stuff????

Landscapes: West Coast. Glencoe, Skye, Glen Affric, Assynt, Torridon
Urban: Glasgow Riverside, Edinburgh old and new town, Aberdeen harbour
Rural: Perthshire, Autumn colours, farm scenes. Try the borders too.
Natural history - try Torridon - geologically the area is fascinating.

Pretty much any town or city in Scotland I can think of could cover all of those topics within a 30 minute bus ride.

id say the same west coast urban you could do the city center hi street that would get the big wall painting in

Cheers guys. I was thinking about barons haugh because someone told me about the Japanese garden and bird sanctuary. I might give it a miss then. I'd probably get closer to squirrels than birds anyway.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Looks like I'll be heading up Edinburgh way. I was in Glasgow the other day but being new to this environmental stuff I wasn't getting what I wanted. Actually I don't know really what I'm aiming for. Time for more research I think.

Scott, the Haugh isnt great for wildlife unless you own a large lens. I used to visit weekly and it can be difficult unless you get there very early before any dog walkers.
Not all wildlife runs, flies, slithers or swims away when you approach..

+1 for Edinburgh. Walk up past Torduff reservoir (by Torphin Hill Golf Course) will give you landscape, wildlife and views over Edinburgh. Also Arthurs Seat and Braid Hills.

Good luck and expect to see some results posted!

Thanks mate. Results can't be posted till they're marked but will be up some time.

Don't forget the south west, Eskrigg nature reserve at Lockerbie will get you easy Red Squirrels for a start.

Not all wildlife runs, flies, slithers or swims away when you approach..
Who mentioned wildlife? The person who set the assignment didn't.

Not all natural history is wildlife.

Last edited:
Who mentioned wildlife? The person who set the assignment didn't.

Not all natural history is wildlife.
Thanks for making my point better than I did ;)

To a photographer with a long lens, all natural history is a bird or fast running mammal..

(to paraphrase the saying, "To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail")

I don't have a long lens so I might be better concentrating on things that don't move.

Back