Scottish Wildcat

…and you survived the encounter to tell the story, Harry? :confused:

I don't know the said specie but it looks like a ordinary gutter cat to me! :D

…and you survived the encounter to tell the story, Harry? :confused:

Its not one that you would play with Daniel, these are wild in every sense and only in Scotland.
Lovely shot of an expression showing its Wild side.

Is this one of the kitts Harry, last time I saw them a couple of months back they were tiny.
Lovely capture, shows the character of these cats, I always referred to them as tabbies until I had the opportunity
to go in the run, a case of "if looks could kill"

Is this one of the kitts Harry, last time I saw them a couple of months back they were tiny.
Lovely capture, shows the character of these cats, I always referred to them as tabbies until I had the opportunity
to go in the run, a case of "if looks could kill"
I think so, did not take much to get it into attack mode.

They are becoming extinct as domesticated cats breed with them, and domestic cats are replaced by frigging human bred cats. Nevertheless, Harry Jack Barley is a very handsome dog :)

They are becoming extinct as domesticated cats breed with them, and domestic cats are replaced by frigging human bred cats. Nevertheless, Harry Jack Barley is a very handsome dog :)

The BWC wildcats have been DNA tested and are as pure as you will get.
The kittens go off into a breeding programme and will be released into the wilds in a protected area
as soon as it is ready.
All domestic and feral cats in the area are being neutured to help prevent further cross breeding

The photograph reminds me of Pixie, a feral kitten my wife adopted in Hong Kong donkey's years ago. She had much the same temperament! Absolutely devoted to my wife, willing to accept me as a second rate substitute in 'mums' absence, and deeply suspicious of other humans...

Scottish Wildcats are related to the European Wildcat and their range once covered the whole of Britain. It's difficult to prevent hybridisation in the wild, the animals are secretive, and we don't really know how many are left. I hope the efforts to save them are successful. They're magnificent.

I'd love to see lynx reintroduced too, and I really don't think that would create problems. Wolves? Tempting, but maybe a step too far...

Back