Screen calibration

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

In have been printing at home for around a year now and have just gone though a trial of a few new papers to see if there are any improvements and gain experience of which style of photos fit which types of paper best. I have personal printer profiles for all the papers however there is still a slight what looks to be white balance difference betweeen the screen and the print, the prints are warmer than the screen, I calibrate the screen with a Spyder 5. Just wondered if the warmer look is to be expected or do I need to move up to a more recent screen calibrator such as the Spyder X?
Appreciate anyones experience on this .

Last edited:
I use an iStudio and not a Spyder. I had a similar issue some years ago and when I raised it with a Canon rep at the Photography Show, he told me to use a white point of D65 when calibrating my screen for use with my printer (a Canon Pro 1) and not what was recommended - I cannot now remember if that was D55 or D50. You could perhaps experiment and see if that might make a difference for you?

Thanks for the reply, I have an iMac which is a little more restricted I think when making certain settings. I’ll have a look and see if this is possible to set this. Thanks again

I'm using a spyder 5 for calibration too and also use a base 6500K white point for the screens and it works well.

If the paper has a warm tone, it will show, regardless of calibration. How obvious this is will depend on the image.
This. If you rack up all your test papers next to each other you can see the variances. It's not always apparent looking at a single sheet on it's own. Of course if it's "massively" different, it could be down to the profile, but a calibrated screen is going to be pure white, whereas paper rarely is.

Last edited:
Hi all,

In have been printing at home for around a year now and have just gone though a trial of a few new papers to see if there are any improvements and gain experience of which style of photos fit which types of paper best. I have personal printer profiles for all the papers however there is still a slight what looks to be white balance difference betweeen the screen and the print, the prints are warmer than the screen, I calibrate the screen with a Spyder 5. Just wondered if the warmer look is to be expected or do I need to move up to a more recent screen calibrator such as the Spyder X?
Appreciate anyones experience on this .
FWIW and as I understand it.

1) you should calibrate at D65 and the gamma recommended (windows is 2.2 but I think Mac the advise I read said Gamma 1.8 please check that info as I don't use a Mac).

2) as a check of how screen looks compared to actual print, have you printed a known reference image (Northlight Images has such reference images available to download). Then printed on Canon or Epson papers, depending on your printer make.

3) on the surmise that the above have worked AOK. Have you obtained specific custom ICC profiles (for your printer & it's inks ~ i.e. not the generic ones supplied by the paper supplier) for the papers that you mention. If so, IMO and as @Harlequin565 says, your prints will be colour accurate but will be affected by any colour tone of the actual different papers used. You should not and cannot expect to affect that e.g. warmth difference to be compensated for by changing your monitor calibration to 'match' the paper(s)! NB none too sure but I think that some differences you might see can be influenced by your choice of printing "intent" of 'Relative' vs 'Perceptual'.

Note~ as in all matters printing I am still learning, so always stand to be corrected and/or confirmed as appropriate:)

Last edited:
FWIW and as I understand it.

1) you should calibrate at D65 and the gamma recommended (windows is 2.2 but I think Mac the advise I read said Gamma 1.8 please check that info as I don't use a Mac).

2) as a check of how screen looks compared to actual print, have you printed a known reference image (Northlight Images has such reference images available to download). Then printed on Canon or Epson papers, depending on your printer make.

3) on the surmise that the above have worked AOK. Have you obtained specific custom ICC profiles (for your printer & it's inks ~ i.e. not the generic ones supplied by the paper supplier) for the papers that you mention. If so, IMO and as @Harlequin565 says, your prints will be colour accurate but will be affected by any colour tone of the actual different papers used. You should not and cannot expect to affect that e.g. warmth difference to be compensated for by changing your monitor calibration to 'match' the paper(s)! NB none too sure but I think that some differences you might see can be influenced by your choice of printing "intent" of 'Relative' vs 'Perceptual'.

Note~ as in all matters printing I am still learning, so always stand to be corrected and/or confirmed as appropriate:)
Hi and thanks for the reply, I think the point harlequin makes re the tone of the paper may be the difference, I have personal printer profiles for the all the papers and in general they look good, just slight tone differences. Relative v perceptual i do view each before printing, some show a differences in darker shadow areas but in the main no difference on colour tone. I will do a test on a bright white paper v a warmer one and compare.
Thanks all for taking the time to reply

Back