Screen to print match........

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
I have noticed recently that my printer is not printing what I see on the screen. Monitors are calibrated and any image looks the same on two different Pc's so methinks it's the printer or settings, any idea's?

How are they not matching? Colour? Brightness? or ??

Are you using the right profiles for your printer and paper?

What app are you printing from and with what settings?

Have you proofed the image to check the printer can handle the colours?

Sorry, I've answered your question with several more ;)

The colour on the print is not as 'vivid' as on the screen.

The screen is calibrated and I am using that profile.

It is a Canon printer, genuine inks and Canon paper.

Doesn't matter a toss if printed from CS3 or windows.

Not sure about proofing the image?

What monitor are you using? What working colour space for the image?

Are you using the screen profile for printing?

Proof the image in CS3 by going to View > Proof > Custom and selecting the profile for your printer, also tick to simulate paper colour. Now you can toggle the proof with ctrl-y to see the difference.

If I get back to basics here,

I have a Dell 2209WA monitor, this is calibrated and I use the Photocal profile in the colour management settings for the monitor.

The colour management in the printer properties is also set to photocal properties.

If I take a jpg shot straight from the camera and print it via windows the colours are flat. I don't think it's the settings in CS3, or am I wrong?

The camera is set to sRGB

Photocal? Is this the profile you created for your monitor?

The monitor and printer should NOT be using the same profile, that will lead to poor results.

Printing straight from Windows only confuses things as it depends on which version as to how (if at all) it will colour manage printing. Let's stick to CS3.

CS3 will read the system profile for your monitor automatically (assuming the calibration assigned it correctly).
Open a file in CS3 and go to print and set:
Let Photoshop manage colours and make sure in the list of profiles you've selected one for the printer, not your monitor. If you can't find one for the printer you need to install it from the CD or download it first from Canon's website. Finally make sure that in the print settings window you've disabled colour management - this is because CS3 is handling it, not the OS or printer driver.

Now assuming you've got good calibration/profiles the print should match the screen pretty well.

The profile tells CS3 how your printer/screen renders colours so it can then adjust them to look right. If you give it the wrong profile it the adjustments will be wrong too.

Back