Screw you Canon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit My Images
No
So I bought a 5D3 a couple of weeks ago and, rather than going the cheaper grey market import route, decided to do it the "right" way and support UK retail and so on and purchase it via a UK retailer, even though it cost me more.

Now I find that Canon are offering a double-cashback offer for the last week of the cashback promotion. So if I'd waited literally two weeks I could have saved myself £150!

I know this will sound like sour grapes but I'm very annoyed about this. It's the principle more than the money involved. Canon want us to support their UK retail channels and not import grey market products yet they pull stunts like this. I'm sure it's great for anyone who's in a position to take advantage of the double-cashback offer this week but what about everyone who's already made their purchase in the last two months - basically a big slap in the face from Canon.

Frankly I don't think I'll bother with UK retail any more. Canon UK can shove it - I'll buy imports and save myself money.

I had a similar experience with Calumet just before Easter. Bought some gear on the Sat then two days later got an email with easter discounts if you bought spent x amount. I called and spoke to the manager who advised that they only get to know about these discounts on the day or night before and while she couldn't offered the full amount she need meet me half way (£25) as a gesture of good will.

£150 is a be bitter pill.

I think you're being very silly. Canon are entitled to introduce special offers whenever they want. Who know's they may half the RRP in 6 months. Will you be moaning about that too if they do?

If you were happy to pay the price you paid on the day you bought the camera then get out there and start shooting rather than worry about what the market is doing.

Oh there's no way I'm going to try to return it or expect them to give me any money or anything. As I said, it's not so much the actual money as the principle of it.

It's just a low marketing tactic - in exchange for pleasing a few people who can take advantage of the double offer this week, they risk annoying or alienating everyone who's purchased something under the scheme during the last two months.

Maybe it is just sour grapes and I am being "silly" but it's just annoying is all. Canon's prices are steep enough in this country as it is, yet they expect us to pay up and not recourse to grey market imports. Pulling tactics like this just risks annoying those of us who've invested a lot of money in their equipment and gives us little incentive to purchase via their UK retail channel.

I know that market forces and exchange rates and so on will always cause prices to fluctuate and it's always possible that things will drop in price just after you've purchased but it doesn't help when Canon exacerbate the problem with stunts like this.

One might argue they could sell more cameras still by setting the retain price at the same level as their double cash-back price. :rolleyes: It's just another marketing tool, to try to push sales at a slow time/make figures look better for the first month of the new financial year.

You do realise they are a) a business and b) want to sell as many cameras as possible? It's not a stunt, or tactic, it's a marketing move.

Naivety like this always puzzles me.

I know it's a marketing move but one that baffles me completely. They'll basically please a few people, those who take advantage of the offer this week, but in exchange risk seriously annoying all of those who've already purchased during the previous two months of the standard offer. Of course it'll help their sales as they'll sell more kit this week but if they end up upsetting more customers then overall it's a stupid move. Typical of marketing departments in my experience - can't see further than the end of their nose or their monthly/quarterly figures.

It's not the end of the world and even £150 isn't much in the overall scheme of what the camera cost. I expected to get lambasted here for my opinion to be honest but there it is.

It's annoying and I would be peeved if it had happened to me but in reality there will never be a good time to cut prices for things like cameras as someone will always have paid the price before the cut :)

I know it's a marketing move but one that baffles me completely. They'll basically please a few people, those who take advantage of the offer this week, but in exchange risk seriously annoying all of those who've already purchased during the previous two months of the standard offer. Of course it'll help their sales as they'll sell more kit this week but if they end up upsetting more customers then overall it's a stupid move. Typical of marketing departments in my experience - can't see further than the end of their nose or their monthly/quarterly figures.

It's not the end of the world and even £150 isn't much in the overall scheme of what the camera cost. I expected to get lambasted here for my opinion to be honest but there it is.

I can quite understand why you are upset but that's the way it goes with time-based offers.

You win some you lose some but it doesn't take away the feeling you've been shafted!

Since you're obviously an expert in their business model, how many people do you think will ditch Canon as a brand, sell off all their lenses and brand specific accessories and move to a competitor, all because they missed out on an offer and feel butthurt about it? I am willing to stake large amounts that the number is minimal compared to the extra units they shift with the promotion.

Please let me know when you sell your 5D3 having got the hump with Canon as a brand, I could fancy another as a spare to replace my current 1Ds2 backup camera, I presume that will be within the next few days, your vexation being as it is?

It's annoying and I would be peeved if it had happened to me but in reality there will never be a good time to cut prices for things like cameras as someone will always have paid the price before the cut :)

That's it really - just annoying. I understand prices fluctuate and sales & marketing departments will have various promotions, just that the timing of this was a bit unfortunate for me personally plus I can't see the logic from a customer relations perspective.

Unless I'm much mistaken it's also unprecedented - have they done this before? Even though their cashback offers generally aren't announced in advance, at least we all know they'll come once or twice a year so we can choose whether to hang on and save a few quid. When customers do decide to wait for an offer, then take advantage of it, only for the offer to be improved without warning shortly after, doesn't that risk seriously alienating customers? Not how you build a happy customer base in my book but what do I know?

Last edited:
Since you're obviously an expert in their business model, how many people do you think will ditch Canon as a brand, sell off all their lenses and brand specific accessories and move to a competitor, all because they missed out on an offer and feel butthurt about it? I am willing to stake large amounts that the number is minimal compared to the extra units they shift with the promotion.

I never said that would happen. What I did suggest is that perhaps more people would be more inclined to buy grey market imports as a result - I know that I personally will be far more inclined to import future purchases and save myself a few quid.

I see the 16-35 is on there. I want that lens but currently do not have the funds :(

I predict a thread in nine months time where the OP complains that Canon UK won't entertain a warranty claim on his grey import.

Completely sympathise with you on this, it must be really annoying but it happens with all bossinesses, everyone including me has been bitten by this tactic and know doubt will in the future, learn from it and move on, don't beat yourself up about it.

I see as always you're empathising well with the OP - @Vertigo1 that really does suck - sods law... I'm all too familiar with it!

But the price of your camera didn't halve in a week, did it?

As I said previously, the amount isn't the issue, it's the principle.

Think I'll probably leave it there before I spend the rest of my week posting here lol.

Thanks to those who've expressed sympathy - I know I'm just peeved and having a bit of a rant, I'll chill out in a bit :)

Oh I've bought many things that were then reduced in price. I didn't then come onto a forum to complain and suggest I would never buy from them again because their promotion didn't fit my timings!

It's a pain in the a... When this happens, it is nobody's fault, not yours or canon, such is life...

I can't believe you are all so nasty to the OP. Yes it's a marketing thing and Canon are not to blame as such but can't you shed a bit of sympathy for him?

I have bought something just past a cashback offer but I needed it and didn't have the spare cash until after the offer so it's just sods law. Due changing the cashback during it's allotted period is a bit of a slap in the face for some people.

Bought a TV from john lewis a few weeks back, they dropped the price 1 week later, I was in store when I saw what they had done. Mentioned it and they refunded me immediately, they also mentioned if it dropped again in the next 28 days I could claim that back too.
Matt

John Lewis are awesome and I use them whenever I can. Actually I bought the BG-E11 grip from there :)

I feel the OP's pain, Sky had £100 cashback through Quidco, ending last night so I rushed in and switched my broadband to them with minutes to spare.... Hurrah, made it!

This morning, new deal is £110 cashback!

Some you win, some you lose, but hey ho, saved meself £100! Carpe Diem! :)

Furthermore, I have a policy of never looking back when I buy something. If you were happy with the price at the time then that's all that matters.

Same here though I need to having been one of those nutters that brought a mk3 about a week after launch :eek:

So I bought a 5D3 a couple of weeks ago and, rather than going the cheaper grey market import route, decided to do it the "right" way and support UK retail and so on and purchase it via a UK retailer, even though it cost me more.

Now I find that Canon are offering a double-cashback offer for the last week of the cashback promotion. So if I'd waited literally two weeks I could have saved myself £150!

I know this will sound like sour grapes but I'm very annoyed about this. It's the principle more than the money involved. Canon want us to support their UK retail channels and not import grey market products yet they pull stunts like this. I'm sure it's great for anyone who's in a position to take advantage of the double-cashback offer this week but what about everyone who's already made their purchase in the last two months - basically a big slap in the face from Canon.

Frankly I don't think I'll bother with UK retail any more. Canon UK can shove it - I'll buy imports and save myself money.

If Canon had increased prices 2 weeks after you'd bought would you have offered to pay Canon the extra? I doubt it. Assuming you're a rational mature person, you thought that the price you paid was a fair price. It's total sour grapes on your part. Grow up and go out and take some pictures.

You just brought into electronics technology. In 18 months it will be worth half of what you just paid or less if they bring out a new model. 150 is nothing compared to the thousands you just laid out.
Just get out and use and enjoy a great camera

Sorry I don't understand the anger. You were happy to purchase the camera at that price (and it's not a cheap bit of kit) so I don't see an issue. DO you also rant over other minor prices that go up and down like petrol?
It's really not worth it. You've made the decision to buy a superb camera. Just get on and enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back