Script Writer (EBS Scripts version 2.14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowasaki

TPer Emeritus
Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
NEW THREAD NOW OPEN.

Also includes new version of Script Writer (2.15)

Introduction

Welcome to the thread for Script Writer (previously Exif Border Script) and now the name of the collection of programs including Exif Border script (EBS).

Script Writer is a collection of Photoshop/Elements scripts (or programs) specifically aimed at Photographers. They are written in JAVASCRIPT which makes them platform independent working on both MACS and WINDOWS.

Tested on: CS2-4 and Elements 6-7 (almost all features are available in Elements)

With operating systems: MacOS Tiger onwards & Windows 5-7 (XP,Vista,7) in both 32 and 64 bit

The main features are:

• add a wide variety of different borders with or without text including EXIF data, copyright information, date & time plus filename.
  • resize images
  • change the colour profile
  • convert to black & white
  • adds incidental text
  • graphical logos
  • and more.....

The collection further adds a batch processor which will run through a directory tree of pictures and apply ANY script to these pictures plus a contact sheet generator, a panel generator and a web gallery generator.

A number of examples can be seen here although there will be lots of examples with the variables to produce them in the thread as time progresses.

Logo added

chloelogo.jpg

Copyright text added

chloeSample.jpg

All EXIF information

Border - All Exif.jpg

Drop Shadow

DSdemo.jpg

User examples:

test_9344.jpg

Batch Processor

Batch211.png

Panel generator

http://www.upgradeyourmac.co.uk/prerelease/PanelDB.jpg

Contact Sheet

http://www.upgradeyourmac.co.uk/prerelease/CSdemo.jpg

Web Gallery generator

http://www.upgradeyourmac.co.uk/prerelease/PStease.PNG

Prior to version 2 all the information was on the web site and spread across the forum. With effect from this version I have decided to include a manual so that people have a point of reference for all of the information that is necessary to get the most from the script.

I first came across a border script whilst using Talk Photography and at that time the script basically just resized your current picture, added a border and added some EXIF data. I virtually re-wrote the script splitting it up into a library and separate “EBS Script Files” which contained variables to control the relevant events which took place later. This made it far simpler for users to edit the scripts for their use and you no longer needed to be a programmer to get the most from them. During this time I also added numerous extra features .

I then added numerous extra features with further re-writing. Users have requested lots of extra features and now even with the variable setup it was getting too complicated and so I decided to completely change the direction of the script and create this new version which is a virtual re-write again.

The new version differs from the original in many respects but the most obvious one is that the setup of the scripts is now using a full graphical user interface. This allows users with absolutely no programming experience to change the scripts to do whatever they want them to do whilst avoiding ‘breaking’ the script by typing details that are outside of acceptable.

Also I have added a separate program which allows the user to edit their “USER DATA” file in a similar manner plus a number of extra features which have been requested. The main additions to version 2 are the addition of the following programs:

Graphical EBS script editor.
Graphical USER DATA editor.
BATCH processor.
PANEL program.
WEB GALLERY generator. [currently CS only]
CONTACT SHEET generator. [currently CS only] - Elements users can use the Panel program though.

Plus the addition of the following major features:

Graphical borders.
Drop Shadows.
User input for the text around the borders.
Multiple user accounts

There are a number of minor features that have also been added.

RELEASE DATE 21st January 2009.......

See Links for manual :)

Script Writer - The costs !

People have said numerous times that there should be a charge and with effect from this version the scripts are now shareware.

I have spent around 500 hours creating version 2.00 (and now another 150+ hours EACH to get to version 2.1 and 2.11) and although I am not looking for any profit whatsoever I don’t think it should cost me money either. I have therefore asked that those people that find Script Writer useful and use it regularly should donate £10 towards the funds by paypal and those using it commercially should donate £20 (This is for a life-time registration). I have spoken to Marcel and the TP fund is quite healthy but I will donate 20% of the amount after Paypal fees (see below) to Talk Photography and the rest of the money will be saved towards my hosting fees for (www.cowasaki.co.uk - which is currently sat on my other web site but which is to get its own site shortly), books and buying new versions of relevant software.

People are allowed to try the software out first and to make sure that they actually want to use it. One registration fee covers a family, multiple operating systems and version upgrades.

All those registering will be listed together with a link to their web site if they have one (so nearly free advertising), they will all be added to a mailing list and be sent all updates, bug fixes etc automatically and I will give them priority for new features but once again there will be no obligation to register or pay.

- I will also be happy to accept relevant books, software etc as full payment for registration.
- As people have asked the email address for registration and paypal is - "ebay@cowasaki.co.uk" Thanks, and if you select payment as gift they do not charge me 54p

Free Users

Preacher { first person to bring original script to TP }
Talk Photography staff { Thank you }
Keltic Ice Man { Beta Tester }
cosmix3 { Beta Tester }
ScotlandTheScare { Beta Tester }
Paul R { javascript guru }
Haggis { donation of Elements 5 for PC / Elements 4 for Mac :)}

Registered Users

1 - IanH (standard)
2 - Euan (standard)
3 - GarynLea (standard)
4 - RedDeathDrinker (commercial)
5 - Dlh (standard)

January's contribution to Talk Photography sent £12.

February - no registrations.

6 - MMCP42 (commercial)
7 - Fordpop (standard)
8 - Snoop69 (standard)
9 - Goslayer (standard)

Thank you all.

Known Issues

Using version 2.10

Camera shutter count may be wrong - not had enough RAW files sent to me yet to check with different cameras!

To do list

SPLIT (like panel but using a single picture and splitting that up)
DVD cover generator
Complete EXIF Xmf viewer (everything that the camera tells you:))!
Implement work arounds for Elements re - RIGHT justify; 16bit image layers; Contact sheet (to use panel functionality)

Differences between Photoshop and Elements

Web gallery generator functionality not present in Elements
Contact sheet functionality not present in Elements
RIGHT justify not available in Elements
You cannot use layers with 16bit image files (i.e. 16bit tiffs or 16bit raw files) in Elements

Borders for you to try

These files are for version 2.10 onwards

"Border inside picture with EXIF data"

Border - Inside Border.jpg

To create this border make the following changes to the default border:

Code:
Inner Stroke Size = 0
Outer Stroke Size = 0
Main Border Colour = None

DOWNLOAD SCRIPT

==========

"All EXIF data"

Border - All Exif.jpg

To create this border make the following changes to the default border:

Code:
CLICK TICK NEXT TO ALL EXIF ENTRIES
Border Width Top = 25
Border Width Bottom = 80
Show Extension = true
Text Before = Filename = '
Text After = '  (EXIF data test)
Display Right = false;

DOWNLOAD SCRIPT

==========

Version Information

With anything this complicated there will always be quite a number of modifications, bug fixes, feature requests etc in the beginning. I will continue to modify the scripts on a virtually daily basis for the first few weeks until it is working across the board. Once we get to the point where it does just work for everyone straight away I will make this version 2.1.0 from this point onwards the installer will always provide an UPGRADE option as well as an install option. Until then each upgrade may add/remove features and data files may be incompatible!

From feedback it does appear that the script pretty much works on most computers. So far, of the two that have caused problems, one has been a driver issue and the other has not been worked out. If you get it working or not it is handy for me to know your setup!

New for version 2.00

INSTALLER !!
Multi user now implemented
EDITOR - EBS Script
EDITOR - USER DATA
Panel generator
Web Gallery generator
Contact Sheet generator
Batch processor
Drop shadow border
Graphical border
Ability to override text to any of the borders
Ability to require user input to edit/replace text to any border
Date border now with "Today" option
You can now have text borders just inside of the picture.
You can now revert the picture view to 100% following script processing.
You can now change to full screen mode etc at the end
Copyright message can now be inc person or company
Addition of several extra named colours
New colour "NONE" for main border which treats the border as existing for text sizing, drop shadows, graphical borders etc but doesn't add it!
Option to save complete EXIF data of last picture to disc as a text file

New for version 2.01 02:00 23rd January 2009

All file references are now absolute which should reduce install and use problems.
Added X offset for EXIF data to go with Y offset which was already there.
Added option to move buttons to top of screen in EDITOR
Install now completely stand alone and it creates installation.txt file

New for version 2.10 31st January 2009

In "Batch processor"
>now outputs JPG,TIFF,GIF,BMP,PNG file types
>Correction where file selection does not start in correct folder eg Pictures folder for pictures etc [thanks for pointing this out, Paul R]
>Correction of error reporting - now exits without second errors.
>Fixed display of filenames on options screen.

In "EBS scripts"
>TOTAL rewrite of entire picture resizing and border drawing routines
>TOTAL rewrite of text routines
>Addition of justification fields for all border text (left, right or center)
>Addition of extra EXIF options inc ABSOLUTE PICTURE COUNT, flash fired & white balance temperature (for auto).
>Addition of EXIF/XML data dump option
>Addition of complete install information dump.
>Run without image - asks for an image and processes that.
>New scripts "EBS - All EXIF", "EBS - White Lucida"
>Font bug fixed (with version c)

In "EDITOR - EBS data":
>Buttons moved to top of window for all
>Now you can click CANCEL when asked for filename and it brings up default info.
>Addition of 'Default data' button.
>Addition of edit boxs for size in pixels now have corresponding inches boxes which auto update in either direction ie INCHES<>PIXELS.
>Removal of X & Y offset variables as these are no longer required (even though Y offset only just added!)
>Correction of error reporting - now exits without second errors

In "EDITOR - USER DATA":
>Removed question re buttons at the top - this will now be normal
>Now copies default EBS script to user's directory

In "PHOTO GALLERY", "CONTACT SHEET", "PANEL"

In "Installer"
>Creates more detailed installation.txt file

New for version 2.11 23:40 8th February 2009

In "EDITOR - EBS data":
> Added Flip variable
> Added Black and White conversion process type
> SPLIT into THREE screens now to give space for B&W conversion and other new features
> Reduced height of windows by removing 2 frames from screen 1 and putting colour space and sharpening filter on same line.
> Added ability to automatically load and then upgrade ANY existing EBS file from version 2.10 onwards to current version.
> Fixed - Breaks the script if you include a quote in any text strings, you now can.

In "EBS scripts"
> A number of new real frames!
> Option to "Flip" graphical frames automatically for portrait / landscape pictures.
> New script "EBS - Graphical Border"
> Black and white conversion processes (grayscale, luminance,de-saturate,red channel,blue channel and green channel)

In "Batch processor"
> Added output to PSD file type
> Option screen for JPG,TIFF,GIF,BMP,PNG,PSD file types
> Recursive get files routine - now you can process all the folders inside a folder.

In "Installer/Updater"
> Inclusion of Update program
> Option to add extra files to EBS directory eg. Extra Borders etc
> "Script" folder in install directory now split into "Script" and "EBS_Scripts" so that you now have the option to install without overwriting existing scripts.

In "Panel"
> Fixed - Looks for USER DATA.lib in old location, cannot find it and assumes not running as part of app so variables are default.

In "Photo Gallery"
> Fixed - Looks for USER DATA.lib in old location, cannot find it and assumes not running as part of app so variables are default.

Version 2.12........ March 2009

Elements & some camera specific fixes.

For example RIGHT justify is now replaced by LEFT justify
CONTACT SHEET will no longer run etc...

Version 2.13........ Beta testers only

In "EDITOR - EBS data":
> Added "Swap Top/Bottom" variable
> Added "Swap Left/Right" variable

In "EBS scripts"
> Added feature from above to swap text sides

Version 2.14........ 20:00 17th June 2009 Current Version

The GPS & Split Version!

Added new script "SPLIT" which is similar to PANEL but works on one picture.
Added support for an external GPS device. You can include the specific GPS information as part of the GPS data at the bottom of the screen but you also get a new option on screen 1 of the EBS editor "Display GPS if active". This option, if ticked, replaces the normal time and date information with the time, date and location information from the GPS device along the left (or right if they are swapped) border.

In "EDITOR - EBS data":
> Added "Replace left with GPS" variable
> Added "GPS Location" variable
> Added "GPS Altitude" variable
> Added "GPS Date" variable
> Added "GPS Time" variable
> Added "EBS Version" variable

In "EBS scripts"
> Added features above
> New date formatting function (eg. 29th April 2009)

Note GPS information only tested so far with limited number of setups D200 with one GPS device.

Version 2.15........

Next planned version.............

Planned Additions.......

list of features planned(-) or done(>) plus bugs fixed(>)...

In "EBS scripts"
- Graphical plates for text for go in on frames
- Work around for RIGHT JUSTIFY in ELEMENTS
- Option to "Flip" copyright string text.

Vista specific instructions

Complete this to remove the folder security from your scripts folder before installing.

1. Goto drive C: and navigate to c:\program files (x86)\adobe\adobe photoshop CS3\presets
  2. Select the folder "Scripts" and right click it then select properties
  3. Select the tab "Security" and click [EDIT]
  4. Find "Users (????\Users)" in the top box and click on it
  5. Click on the box under "Allow" next to FULL CONTROL
  6. Click APPLY

VistaSec.jpg

This REMOVES file security from the script directory making it work just like it does on XP !

Editor - EBS Scripts

Examples are version 2.14

Screen 1

EBS1.png

Screen 2

EBS2.png

Screen 3

EBS3.png

So where do I register?:)

Cowasaki - I replied yesterday to your PM with a different email address if you want me to test on Elements 7.

Cheers,
Stewart.

Cowasaki - I replied yesterday to your PM with a different email address if you want me to test on Elements 7.

Cheers,
Stewart.

I sent a replacement!

I will upload the zip file to my server and send you a link instead !

So where do I register?:)

No need to register yet. The package will be released tomorrow and you will be able to download it then. Only when you have have time to evaluate it and make sure that it is all that you wanted it to be should you register.

Even then there will be no obligation to do so but I was hoping that people will support it so that I can carry on further and make sure that we all get a package that will help us.

There are a number of further additions in the pipeline including DVD cover generators (to give customers/friends) which will be generated from a directory of pictures.

I've used your earlier projects and have no problems with registering this for commercial use. I always believe in supporting the little guy:)

I've used your earlier projects and have no problems with registering this for commercial use. I always believe in supporting the little guy:)

Thanks, I was hoping that that attitude would prevail. I had 2/3 of my annual holidays off over christmas and spent most of it programming whilst watching TV etc. Don't get me wrong I really enjoy it or I wouldn't do it but I have just had my bill for hosting and the downloads are putting the cost up. Like I said I am not looking to make a profit but not making a loss is just as important!

Hmmm - no replacement ever arrived. Checked my spam folders and everything. Will just wait for link and download. Should be able to test rapidly and provide feedback.

New beta test version uploaded

- fixed bug where edited EBS files cannot be saved when you are on page 2 of the editor and did not change anything on page 1 !

- added option to save full EXIF data to a named file following completion of the script.

As long as my non PC brain can get it to work on my PC. I'll register now and pay now if need be. I've seen the examples and thats good enough for me. Is there any chance of a complete idiots guide to installing and changing settings to suit.:help::help:
Cheers
Ian..

As long as my non PC brain can get it to work on my PC. I'll register now and pay now if need be. I've seen the examples and thats good enough for me. Is there any chance of a complete idiots guide to installing and changing settings to suit.:help::help:
Cheers
Ian..

Thank you that is really good to know... If you scroll upwards to the links section there is a pre-release user manual. All the editing is now done using a full graphical front end and the scripts all install with an installer so hopefully anyone should be able to install and use it.

At the moment the beta testers are battling with it and giving me a few errors which I will work on tonight but the good news is that it is going to be ELEMENTS 6 & 7 compatible now !!!!

Elements users will not even loose many of the functions - so far only the auto resize of the user's view at the end !

As for paying now that is entirely your choice, you can wait and install it first if you like but the registration paypal account is cowasaki_ebay at tiscali.co.uk If you do register you will be paying user number 1 :)

Hi, definitely interested in this. OP helped me out when I was struggling to install the earlier version. Should the earlier version's files be completely removed before installing the new?

Is that cowasaki_ebay being in the region of tiscali.co.uk

Yes but please edit your message and remove the email address. Web bots will pick it up and I will end up with lots of spam :)

and Thanks.

Hi, definitely interested in this. OP helped me out when I was struggling to install the earlier version. Should the earlier version's files be completely removed before installing the new?

Yes they should but if you print out any scripts you have written they will all be easily re-createable in the new version.

Right, one open to everyone here !

Please can people download this file : HERE

Once downloaded unpack the zip file and copy it to your script directory then once there can you restart your photoshop/elements and run the script called VERSION.JS

Two messages should appear on the screen saying

"This is running in the other script - runner"

and

"This is running in the other script - runner *2*"

the script should have also created a file in your script directory called "Return Me.txt"

What I would like is for people to post a response on here saying:

Got message 1
Got message 2
followed by the contents of the "return me.txt" file

This will help me absolutely no end !!!!

I'll start:

Got message 1
Got message 2

FL_ScriptsFolder = /Applications/Adobe%20Photoshop%20CS3/Presets/Scripts
FL_UsersDocumentsDirectory = ~/Documents
FL_UsersPicturesDirectory = ~/Pictures
BridgeTalk.appName = photoshop
$.os = Macintosh OS 10.5.6

Hi,

Got message 1
Got message 2

FL_ScriptsFolder = /c/Program%20Files/Adobe/Photoshop%20Elements%206.0/Presets/Scripts
$.os = Windows Vista 6.0 Service Pack 1

OK,

Got message 1
Got message 2

FL_ScriptsFolder = /c/Program%20Files/Adobe/Photoshop%20Elements%207.0/Presets/Scripts
BridgeTalk.appName = pseeditorsp
$.os = Windows Vista 6.0 Service Pack 1

Once downloaded unpack the zip file and copy it to your script directory then once there can you restart your photoshop/elements and run the script called VERSION.JS

As I said earlier. Pc dumb*ss here.
Ive found C/adobe/ PSE/presets/scripts then i get a choice of stack scripts only or photomerge.jsx
Told you I was pc thick. sorry

As I said earlier. Pc dumb*ss here.
Ive found C/adobe/ PSE/presets/scripts then i get a choice of stack scripts only or photomerge.jsx
Told you I was pc thick. sorry

Just place the three files from the zip folder into the folder that you found ie into - C/adobe/ PSE/presets/scripts

Then run the script VERSION.JS from within Elements and note the two messages. Then open the text file and add it to the reply.

Thanks

Got message 1

Message 2 error -
Error 24: $.evalFile is not a function.
Line:26
-> $.evalFile(FL_ScriptsFolder+'/runner2.js');

FL_ScriptsFolder = /d/Adobe/Adobe%20Photoshop%20CS2/Presets/Scripts
$.os = Windows 6.0 Service Pack 1

Got message 1

Message 2 error -
Error 24: $.evalFile is not a function.
Line:26
-> $.evlFil(FL_ScriptsFolder+'/runner2.js');

FL_ScriptsFolder = /d/Adobe/Adobe%20Photoshop%20CS2/Presets/Scripts
$.os = Windows 6.0 Service Pack 1

Thanks, the message 1 and message 2 bits are to check out two versions of the same call and it appears we have a winner :)

Which version of windows are you running?

Vista SP1 32bit. Not sure why everyone else's says so and mine doesn't though.

Got message 1
Got message 2

FL_ScriptsFolder = /Applications/Adobe%20Photoshop%20CS4/Presets/Scripts
$.os = Macintosh OS 10.5.6

As a long time follower, I'll be registering as soon as I have the time to try it out :bang:

You've done a great job on this and deserve the support for all the time you put into it :clap:

As a long time follower, I'll be registering as soon as I have the time to try it out :bang:

You've done a great job on this and deserve the support for all the time you put into it :clap:

Thanks, the support from everyone is very much appreciated and it is getting closer and closer to being seemless!

Has anyone downloaded the manual for a sneaky look ? :)

New beta test version now uploaded.

This is now tested and working on CS3 & 4 and Elements 6 & 7 - Hoping to get CS2 sorted tomorrow - I actually have CS2 on my old XP box so tomorrow I can use that.

All bugs reported are fixed so it is looking good for a release tomorrow - I will not release it though until it is right. I feel working properly is more important than a deadline but if it is not released tomorrow then I am working 11am-9pm from thursday to sunday so it will be on to Monday before I can do much more with it.

Replacement beta uploaded having replaced $.evals with eval.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back