SD Card supplier recommendation

Name
Allen
Edit My Images
Yes
After the purchase of my new X100V I now need a SD card , Currently no intention to do video
Also I am not in the spray and pray camp , Any advice where I can buy a decent say 128GB card
from a genuine supplier at a fair price ? Thanks.

Wex, or if you want the best prices you can't go wrong with Amazon. Given SanDisk's appalling handling of a recent issue with their portable SSDs I'd be reluctant to buy their cards again so Lexar or ProGrade would get my vote

I would not buy from Amazon - due to the way their warehouses work, counterfeit products can be mixed with genuine ones. I recommend your usual camera shop, be that online or bricks and mortar.

Fuji sometimes have lists of recommended cards per camera model, but don't seem to have that for the X100V.

Wex or any good camera shop. I wouldnt risk Amazon on Ebay as they both sell lots of fake stuff, buy a 128gb and you might get a 128gb, or in might be 16gb and says it's 128gb, trouble is they are set up to overwrite so you wont know till you loose pictures.

Wex or any good camera shop. I wouldnt risk Amazon on Ebay as they both sell lots of fake stuff, buy a 128gb and you might get a 128gb, or in might be 16gb and says it's 128gb, trouble is they are set up to overwrite so you wont know till you loose pictures.
I do a full test on all cards before I use them, regardless of the name printed on them

I buy direct through the Kingston website (their provider is Insight) as I trust I'll get the real thing. Also, never had an issue with one of their SD cards in a couple of years of using two.

Kingston

I would not buy from Amazon - due to the way their warehouses work, counterfeit products can be mixed with genuine ones. I recommend your usual camera shop, be that online or bricks and mortar.

Fuji sometimes have lists of recommended cards per camera model, but don't seem to have that for the X100V.

I know that can be an issue on Amazon, although it's never happened to me personally. I always make sure I'm buying from Amazon rather than a third party seller but yes it is more of risk there than buying from a dedicated camera shop.

The problem is that Amazon will have a location in their warehouse for a particular product line, sold by Amazon. However, in their warehouse they will also have stock from third party sellers, if the product line is the same Amazon won't care which one they pick from the warehouse. Including if the warehouse they have deemed optimum to ship your order from (nearest/allows whole order in one box etc) doesn't have any of "Amazon's" stock, only the third party stock.

OK Thanks , Looks like I will go back to London Camera ex Chester where the camera came from.
Probably the best bet ,they have always looked after me there ..good luck parking this close to xmas though .. there’s always Cambrian cameras at colwyn bay as well

While on the subject of memory cards can anyone explain the gibberish that all the numbers and letters mean on the cards ?

Probably the best bet ,they have always looked after me there ..good luck parking this close to xmas though .. there’s always Cambrian cameras at colwyn bay as well
It would be by mail order .

While on the subject of memory cards can anyone explain the gibberish that all the numbers and letters mean on the cards ?
Hundreds of web pages that will explain this.

For example:

SD Cards explained

FWIW I am using a SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s SDHC card in my X100V, but it looks like you will need an SDXC card if you want 128GB.

For reference, my 32GB card holds 990 raw files.

FWIW I am using a SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s SDHC card in my X100V, but it looks like you will need an SDXC card if you want 128GB.

For reference, my 32GB card holds 990 raw files.
OK Thanks , Looks like 32 will be enough , Just incase I will go for a 64GB.

I have had two sandisk cards crack, They don't like heavy use. I use Delkin now which appear to be stronger so far.

The problem is that Amazon will have a location in their warehouse for a particular product line, sold by Amazon. However, in their warehouse they will also have stock from third party sellers, if the product line is the same Amazon won't care which one they pick from the warehouse. Including if the warehouse they have deemed optimum to ship your order from (nearest/allows whole order in one box etc) doesn't have any of "Amazon's" stock, only the third party stock.
I agree about the difficulties re counterfeit goods, but that’s not the way Amazon warehouses work. The location of items is dynamic. You cannot get batches from different suppliers of the same label mixed up. Make sure you’re not buying from a 3rd party through Amazon (eg, as suggested visit the actual store within Amazon) and you should be safe.

There are plenty of mixed reports on whether Amazon's inventory is "commingled" with third-party "fulfilled by Amazon" inventory. Personally, I would rather not take the risk, for the sake of navigating to a different website to buy it.

Never had a problem with Amazon supplied memory cards. Not that I had any, but dubious ones could be returned. Fakes could enter any supply chain.

Back