SD cards - Where to buy cheap?!

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
Yes
I know eBay and Amazon are large places to buy from, but I read many accounts about fake cards being sold there.

Is there a good site to buy fast SD cards that are non fake and you can buy with confidence?

Are 7DayShop good to buy from?

Thanks

I always buy SanDisk cards from MyMemory and I've never had a problem.

as said above 7day shop or my memory

I'd be happy to use MyMemory, 7dayshop or Amazon itself (but not a trader selling through Amazon unless it's MyMemory or 7dayshop). Argos seems to be the cheapest on the High St, sometimes close to or as good as the online dealers for something like a Sandisk Ultra.

Reactions: Nod
Amazon is my go to place. Ive not yet had an issues with cards I've purchased directly from amazon uk. I make sure it's definitely amazon and not a marketplace seller. It would be interesting to know if the fake cards you mention were sold by amazon UK or a marketplace seller (fulfilled by amazon isn't Amazon UK, rather a marketplace seller that keep their stock in amazons warehouses). Amazon are an authorised SanDisk retailer so they shouldn't be selling fakes.

If you buy SanDisk it's best to only buy from their authorised sellers list:

https://www.sandisk.co.uk/about/where-to-buy

Last edited:
I have just had a look at MyMemory and the reviews are very mixed and most recently the reviews that give high scores are all a first post by that reviewer. Thoughts?

I have just had a look at MyMemory and the reviews are very mixed and most recently the reviews that give high scores are all a first post by that reviewer. Thoughts?
All I can say is that I've used them in the past without problems, directly and via their Amazon marketplace listings, and would use them again.

Amazon is my go to place. Ive not yet had an issues with cards I've purchased directly from amazon uk. I make sure it's definitely amazon and not a marketplace seller. It would be interesting to know if the fake cards you mention were sold by amazon UK or a marketplace seller (fulfilled by amazon isn't Amazon UK, rather a marketplace seller that keep their stock in amazons warehouses). Amazon are an authorised SanDisk retailer so they shouldn't be selling fakes.

If you buy SanDisk it's best to only buy from their authorised sellers list:

https://www.sandisk.co.uk/about/where-to-buy

:agree:

Picstop has competitive prices and is cheapest at the moment for what I'm after (Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB). They are a Sandisk authorised seller too. I've bought these cards before and happy with both cards and service. PS I have no affiliation with them other than as an infrequent purchaser!

I've used 7day shop and my memory and have had good service from both.

7dayshop, mymemory or Amazon - whoever's cheapest when I need a card or 2.

7Day Shop, My Memory or Picstop - depending on who is the cheapest for the card you want. All are good in my experience.

Hi,
Just a quickie. They arrived today from Switzerland no less but on the customs declaration the goods price is a lot less than what I paid for them. The packaging to the SD cards look genuine and as they should be, but I wanted to make sure they were actually genuine so I thought I would download and run them through SpeedOut which is freeware to test SD card read write speeds, and they're nowhere near what's stated. I've attached the read outs of the read/write tests.

Do I take it these are genuine and the built in SD reader on the laptop isn't that great and that's what is slowing everything down?

Attachments

• SpeedTest.JPG
    SpeedTest.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 17
  • SpeedTest2.JPG
    SpeedTest2.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 17
How old's the laptop/card reader?

Stick them in the camera and see how they work compared to other cards (but be aware that lots of cameras don't have particularly fast write speeds)

Last edited:
It's an Acer Aspire V3-571G if that helps! Probably a good few years old now.

Will put them in camera and test against my Lexar Professional cards

A quick google shows it's from 2012 which means its very likely the problem lies with the laptop. Apparently it does have one USB3 slot so you could try a decent memory card reader in that slot but it has to be said that the card reader can have a very significant impact on speeds.

.. on the customs declaration the goods price is a lot less than what I paid for them. The packaging to the SD cards look genuine ..
A small alarm bell is ringing. Under-declaring value for customs can be a trick to avoid duty (as used by certain grey importers). Packaging can be easily faked, surely. I'd ONLY buy from known reputable sellers. I wonder if these are Chinese copies?

A small alarm bell is ringing. Under-declaring value for customs can be a trick to avoid duty (as used by certain grey importers). Packaging can be easily faked, surely. I'd ONLY buy from known reputable sellers. I wonder if these are Chinese copies?

I very much doubt it, I've had loads of cards from MyMemory and all work as they should. In this instance I would look at the laptop as the reason for the slow speeds.

Ok, fair enough. I missed Gareth's post where he named the vendor.

Do I take it these are genuine and the built in SD reader on the laptop isn't that great and that's what is slowing everything down?
It might be worth trying the (free) software that I mentioned in post #15 above. As well as testing the capacity of the cards, it also reports on the speed. Would be interested to know whether it agrees with SpeedOut.

Card reader is USB2 i presume hence the slower than advertised speeds for the cards

As a comparison I purchased a Sandisk128GB Ultra version which benches at 95/52 on a USB 3 reader

Last edited:
Super! Sorry late reply, I nipped out quickly on foot to grab a quick shot of the local beach to see how fast they wrote images, but then the police chopper was out loud hailing the residents and it all was rather bizarre! All good now though and the wrote pretty quickly

So looks like cards are fine and the slow link is the laptops built in SD card reader :)

Will try the other speed tester and report back ;)

I very much doubt it, I've had loads of cards from MyMemory and all work as they should. In this instance I would look at the laptop as the reason for the slow speeds.
If you look at the Sandisk website you will find MyMemory are an authorized reseller.

I buy them from Tesco. Cheap enough from there.
Yes, I've picked up the occasional bargain Sandisk card from Tesco but I've sometimes thought they've mis-priced them! (and you get clubcard points.)

Agree with MyMemory and 7dayshop. I have also used MemoryBits.

I only buy from these three now and check prices before ordering just in case there is a deal on.

. . . . . .

Hi Gareth, looking at the speed test screen grabs instantly notice the read and Write speed are almost identical. This shouldn't be so and it suggests something is acting as a bottleneck, as you seem to have concluded it is probably the laptop interface.
I was after some UHS II cards for my Olympus and this site is good for comparisons http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/ , some surprising results there too.

Back