SD cards?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I have a Canon 600D and I am looking into buying a memory card for it. I'm not sure which one I should buy. I was thinking about getting a 32gb card, which should be large enough. I have narrowed it down to two options (both are class 10 and Sandisk-branded): 32GB speeds of 30mb/s and 32GB speeds of 45mb/s. There is a price difference of about £6 between the two (which isn't that much) but is there a noticeable difference between the two? Which would you recommend getting?

Thanks! :D

I would question the need for such a large memory card. Get some 8GB or even a couple of 16GB that way you are not keeping all your photos on one card

I would question the need for such a large memory card. Get some 8GB or even a couple of 16GB that way you are not keeping all your photos on one card

What if I used the card for some filming? They will be short clips e.g. a few minutes long, but I thought video would take up loads of space?

The first question must be: what do you feel is pushing you toward a faster card?

I think if you record hd video your camera is optimised for consistent recording without lagg. Faster memory cards you need for the case if you are machine gun shooter and you fill up the buffer of the camera too quickly.

Depending on what website you go to you would get between 280 to 340 minute on a 32GB card, but think how you would feel if you lost all of that in one go. An 8gb would give you about an hour of video or about 2200 photos.

Just so it wouldn't restrict my options for the future, e.g. if I wanted to take short HD clips.

I suspect you won't find card speed to be an issue there. Might you know what bitrate(s) your camera records video at? I suspect it'll never peak above 10MB/s.

1920x1080 video isn't really all that demanding of a card.

Where you might want to consider its speed, however, is if you're liable to be shooting continuous bursts of shots, such as capturing a frantic wildlife moment, or a rapid sports moment, where being able to dump the contents of the camera's internal buffer off to the card as quickly as possible can make the difference between capturing just the right moment, and missing it.

(Of course, then you start getting into the camera's own capability, both in framerate, and how quickly it can write to a card. A D90, for example, hits its ceiling at 20MB/s; a D7100 isn't slowed by a 95MB/s card)

Most card manufacturers say that aclass 6 card or above will record video with no problems but if you take 'machine gun' shots then a class 10 will be preferrable. I got some 16GB Duracell class 10 cards and they have never let me down for anything. As others have said, if you get 1 card and it goes bad you lose the lot, if you get two 16Gb or even four 8Gb you wont lose it all. It only takes a few seconds to change a card.

Back