Seascape locations South Devon/Sidmouth area

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Any recommendations on seascape locations within reasonable driving distance of Sidmouth?

I have recently been to Lyme Regis so have got a decent shot there but interested in others. Probably setting off tomorrow morning so won’t have time to get a fotovue book.

Anything from you obscure looking piers, bits sticking out in the water, rock formations etc. I am planning a trip up to Hartland (North Devon) at some point but tides aren’t tying in well with sunrise and set.

Thanks,

Tom

I take it you've fully explored Sidmouth's coastline? I find that there's plenty of material on that piece of coast alone...

Fujifilm SL300 8GB 05 DSCF3519.jpg

Fujifilm SL300 8GB 05 DSCF3529.jpg

Panasonic TZ70 8GB H05 P1030210.JPG

Beer just up from Sidmouth is good, plenty of small fishing boats. the village has some old houses and a couple of nice pubs. Then Seaton around the corner from Beer has a small harbour. These two beaches are heading back towards Lyme Regis but only a 15 min drive from Sidmouth and probably 25 min drive from Lyme.

Ladram Bay west of Sidmouth is interesting to look at but if you manage a decent photo there you'll be doing a lot better than I ever have.
Budleigh Salterton - east end of the town is the mouth of the river Otter. There's a shingle spit with tidal wetland behind and rocks you can get to at low tide but are covered at high tide. You can walk up onto the coast path past the geoneedle (an obelisk marking the end of the jurassic coast). You want good morning/evening light there.
The whole coast along there is a static caravan ghetto (you probably know that) so it's going to be mobbed. None of the south coast there is what I would call dramatic but in the right conditions it is pretty.

Thanks all! Some great suggestions that I will look into. I am prepared to drive out about a hour so that should throw up some more locations as well.

I was going to go to Hartland but it’ll add 3 hours onto the journey and I’d only be there for a sunset and rise so I’m going to do that as a separate trip for a few days and do that coastline.

Back