Second attempt at portraits

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Using my own children this time, 400D, Pro-Line Apollo 180/180 flash kit and i think it was my Sigma 18-200 OS DC

_MG_3902edit.jpg

_MG_3949edit.jpg

these ended up being gifts for all of my family this Christmas.

C&C more than welcomed(y)

Nice shots, agree about the sharpening though. Looking quite soft to me.

hi mate do you recall where you focused on these as on the 1st the button on his shoulder looks sharper than the eyes...

always a good idea if possible to focus on the eyes ...

as said already a few tweaks would bring these out very nicely..

i like the pose in the 2nd.

md(y)

i have always tried to focus on the eyes when i shoot people, however the only people i shoot on a regular occation are my boy's (their too young to complain lol), and they NEVER stop moving lol.

Just checked the metadata, i did shoot these with my sigma 18-200, at f6.3 and 9 respectively, which admittedly is probably too wide. my autofocus is set to the centre point and i try to focus then re-compose.

back to the old school report card comments: must try harder lol

i have always tried to focus on the eyes when i shoot people, however the only people i shoot on a regular occation are my boy's (their too young to complain lol), and they NEVER stop moving lol.

Just checked the metadata, i did shoot these with my sigma 18-200, at f6.3 and 9 respectively, which admittedly is probably too wide. my autofocus is set to the centre point and i try to focus then re-compose.

back to the old school report card comments: must try harder lol

Out of interest, why do you think f9 is too wide? Should get all the Depth of Field you need at that aperture, I tend to use f8 for these portraits.

as the focal length on that shot was 63mm, i've always been told to aim for around f11 to ensure a deep enough DoF to get the 'model' in focus.

in saying that it probably just come down to my focus technique for fast moving toddlers lol

Hmm, I would think f8 or even f6.3 should give more than enough DoF, so it could well be a focus issue.

Back