Second Challenge for the days ahead - WINNER announced

Thanks for your comments, really appreciate them (y)

:agree: superb. Here's a couple of offerings, I don't have suitable lighting, so these are shot with any available light.

Nothing wrong with available light (y)

Variety is the Spice of Life

Very nice, good take on the theme, I like the soft available light.

The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Nice idea, I pondered about doing this one as one of my extras but could not come up with something that would fill the frame and give a lot of impact.

Wow, impressed so far!

Heres mine, Flogging a dead horse

20090115_2976a.jpg

LOL :LOL:

The horse is good and funny, Oil and water is very well done indeed.

I have to say, I'm amazed at how few entries we have had so far, and how few comments have been posted too. :woot:

I will hopefully add another couple of images tomorrow (weather permitting) as they really need to be taken outside to work well, but by the time I have got home from work each day it has been dark. :thumbsdown:

Come on people, post some images, post some comments and lets give this great theme the attention it deserves. (y)

Agreed Ed, I thought there would be more then this when i got home this evening. I cannot believe I can have flummoxed the creative juices of the TP membership so easily, I though they enjoyed a challenge :naughty: :shake:

I am sure they do and I am sure they can come up with more entries and more comments on the few fabulous entries we have had so far. (y)

I've got another three I did for fun, but I've already entered my serious ones... but only four entrants seems very light... Maybe no one has had the time to capture the creative ideas as yet and there'll be a flood of them over the weekend :shrug:

Agreed Ed, I thought there would be more then this when i got home this evening. I cannot believe I can have flummoxed the creative juices of the TP membership so easily, I though they enjoyed a challenge :naughty: :shake:

I am sure they do and I am sure they can come up with more entries and more comments on the few fabulous entries we have had so far. (y)

I actually thought it was a great theme, and in reality many themes wrapped up within as each proverb could really be thought of as a theme in itself. I have had many ideas for loads of images, but either due to lack of materials or time to get to an appropriate location many are out, but there are dozens of others that can be used and I with a relatively easy setup.

Bloodwater-2.jpg

My first is just a glass of bottled water with some pigment ink (from my continuos ink system) dropped into it (13 drops of red with one drop of black), a small piece of perspex from a picture frame draped across the backs of two chairs for a base, a sheet of white card as the background lit by my Metz 45 CT5 flagged and triggered by a photocell with my 580 EXII bounced off the ceiling to give the main/fill light.
It took many shots to get something I was happy with and I used over a litre of bottled water as I had to clean the glass, refill and start again after each couple of shots.

Okay i realise it is not perfect (little rarely is), and if it had been for a commercial shoot I would have taken more images, actually sourced some blood (from an abattoir), had someone else to do the glass cleaning and filling and taken hundreds of images until we got as near to perfect as possible, but from reading the thread to its conception and completion only took a couple of hours or so with materials from around the house.

Exactly....it can be very simple with a little thought. In fact here's another thought, challenge lover E-Gary might want to puzzle the answer to this - I am sitting here in my own living room, laptop on knee, looking across at a very well known proverb on the sofa!! :naughty:

Thanks Yv, the monkehs took no time to setup and shoot really, I think I did all 3 in about 5 minutes and only a few minutes planning on each. I agree with Ed, so I'll go into a bit more detail on mine too.. If I can think of another serious one, then I may add a new one, or maybe on of the monkehs just for fun.

Variety is the spice of life. I spent about 10 minutes planning how I wanted this to look, raided the spice cupboard, poured a little of each out onto a plate, pushed them around a bit till I got what I thought was a pleasing pattern, dropped the Star Anise on, and took about 5 shots using the 55-250 with the Raynox on the nose, turning the plate a little until I was happy with the results. I only have the on board flash as a usable light source, so didn't bother with one and used only the available light at my kitchen table (most diffuse and somewhat dull). Only processed in Aperture to give it a bit of Pop.

The Pen is Mightier than the Sword. Ok, this one I thought about quite a bit, to figure out how to hold everything, what sort of shapes would present the idea what DOF effects I wanted to use, so when it came to the shot, I knew precisely what I wanted to get. I have to say that's quite refreshing :). Anyway, the pen was stuck into a piece of bluetack on a chair. The sword is resting on a low chair someways behind the pen, got the angles just how I wanted and took the shot. I actually took 5 trying to adjust for the uneven lighting in the room (big patio doors to the right of shot) but ended up using the first one anyway. I used Aperture to mainly process this and did some dodging on a selection of the background to even it up in PS.

I had the materials for both of these lying around, and the pen and sword could've been shot much sooner after reading the thread than it was, I didn't need to plan for that long as I'd sorted it out in my head within an hour or two, just didn't have the opportunity prior to when I took it so had some further thinking time.

So come on TP... You don't need expensive gear, lighting rigs or anything else, just a bit of imagination and a few household props.

Just been to take my shot, our local shop keeper has kindly said I can take a photo in his shop, later today when his stock comes in, I did want to include a model but cant find anyone to help so I'll have to have it with out, not saying what my idea is yet, I took a test shot looks OK, but have to go back this afternoon

:wave: welcome jenny. The idea of the challenge is to get you thinking about your shots and hence improve your photography planning and shooting a new image or 3, but don't worry, we are not cracking the whip, if you have somethng you think it suitable, please do post it.

Dave, I am intrigued and looking forward to seeing this one....I am sitting here expecting to see Arkwright and Granville :LOL:

How did I miss this thread :) Great idea and great interpretations so far! I'm having trouble thinking of a proverb let alone taking an image of one :)

Great stuff :)

No 2

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link!

Chainlink.jpg

yes I did mean my granddaughter to have her back to the cigs then she couldnt see them, but the shop was busy, and I didnt want to put the shop keeper out and my idea is that they will be out of sight

Okay, I get it now :bonk:

pity really, because it would have been brilliant if the shelves had been empty. Perhaps you could try a shelf at Woolworths :LOL:

Wow diffuclt one, been mulling this over while working the Night Shift this week, trying to find an idea was hard, tryed a couple but decided on:

Love thy neighbour as thy self.

My first go at a challage like this, but have enjoyed myself doing it.

Love%20thy%20neighbour%20as%20thy%20self.jpg

Nice one Dave and Cosmix (y) Good second one Ed.

I got my third... Less sure on this one... but

Every Journey Starts with a Single Step
IMG_0889.jpg

Nice one Dave and Cosmix (y) Good second one Ed.

I got my third... Less sure on this one... but

Every Journey Starts with a Single Step
IMG_0889.jpg

Like it good idea, wandering if it would have been better actualy taking a step, although could have caused ballance issues for you. :D

:D, it was somewhat slippy, and with the odd angle (looking straight down) on a narrow bridge over the stream looking through the viewfinder with one eye shut.... I don't think so :D You're probably right though, but at this point, it wasn't going to happen. I also can't think how you'd actually be able to take that, it's not clear here, but I had one foot forward, perhaps more of the left might shot it better :thinking:

:D, it was somewhat slippy, and with the odd angle (looking straight down) on a narrow bridge over the stream looking through the viewfinder with one eye shut.... I don't think so :D You're probably right though, but at this point, it wasn't going to happen. I also can't think how you'd actually be able to take that, it's not clear here, but I had one foot forward, perhaps more of the left might shot it better :thinking:

Yea, you dont want to go in, wouldnt do the camera alot of good :D.

A spy with flatulence will always blow his cover (this was on the proverbs site listed earlier - honest!)

Posted elsewhere as well and just a bit of fun.....

bond2.jpg

:)

Argh! SLIPPY :bang: I so hate that word!

Hacker, LOL!

Nice effort and bang on topic.

The lighting is a little flat and with little texture showing, and I suspect you have used on camera flash. It would have added more texture and contrast if the light had not been so directional from the front with perhaps it being either side lit or maybe 3/4. This may also have added some highlights and perhaps a little more 'glitter effect'. Worth a try in the future perhaps!

A spy with flatulence will always blow his cover (this was on the proverbs site listed earlier - honest!)

Posted elsewhere as well and just a bit of fun.....

bond2.jpg

:)

**splutter**

Thats it Colin, you owe me a laptop AND more importantly, a large gulp of some decent malt! :LOL::LOL:

Nice effort and bang on topic.

The lighting is a little flat and with little texture showing, and I suspect you have used on camera flash. It would have added more texture and contrast if the light had not been so directional from the front with perhaps it being either side lit or maybe 3/4. This may also have added some highlights and perhaps a little more 'glitter effect'. Worth a try in the future perhaps!

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, you are right about the flash. Unfortunately, I don't have a separate one but I agree that side lighting would have been much better.

Jenny

Back