Second hand nikon FX: D3 vs D600 or a DX?

They've sent me "the requested image shot stopped down at the sky."
is there anything i need to look for on this image, and is there a way for me to show it here (i'm not sure how the rules of sharing photos like that)

Assume it's a nef file and the aperture is reasonably narrow, say f/11 or smaller. Just look carefully for any odd blobs or smears, usually round. From memory, the top left corner used to be most prevalent with oil spatter issues on my D600.

it is a nef file, and when i mouse over the image it says - camera d600, iso 200, f/0 - I'm assuming it hasn't recorded the fstop?
I see a couple of tiny little circles when i zoom in, I have taken some screen captures using the snipping tool just to show them, and, ive included the little zoom icon to attempt to give some sort of reference to scale

the first is almost the whole image
image.png

2nd zoomed in a bit
image.png

3rd zoomed in more on a different spot

image.png

are these similar to the kinds of blobs you're talking about

it is a nef file, and when i mouse over the image it says - camera d600, iso 200, f/0 - I'm assuming it hasn't recorded the fstop?
I see a couple of tiny little circles when i zoom in, I have taken some screen captures using the snipping tool just to show them, and, ive included the little zoom icon to attempt to give some sort of reference to scale

the first is almost the whole image
image.png

2nd zoomed in a bit
image.png

3rd zoomed in more on a different spot

image.png

are these similar to the kinds of blobs you're talking about

Yes. Although it doesn't look that bad compared to my old d600. It's a shame you can't know what aperture was used but it's a fairly safe bet that it needs a good clean. Not the end of the world but it may be worth factoring in on the price.

TBH if you took 100 DSLR's randomly off the street and examined the sensors you would probably see at least if not far worse than that.

So, in light of this, (I'm aware it is just a single raw file) does it seem a fair enough purchase

D3 or D700 for me, both genuine pro bodies whereas the D600 is a fx sensor in a prosumer body imo. My first FX body was a D3 and I still use it now and its AF is brilliant it never fails me.

Back