Self Conscious Photography

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening Ladies and Gentleman
Am I the only one who gets self consious when Photographing in busy places ?
I know I shouldnt be this way but mainly its when Im at places like a bird of prey centre and Im there with my £130 sigma 70-300mm lens and Im around people with £5,000 lenses that look like rocket launchers.Where I have been taking photos properly for only about a year and half and they all look really professional with there 500mm's and monopods I sometimes feel like some people might be thinking "look at that little lens" and "why is he taking pics from that position when the light is coming from there" etc etc.
For example last time I was at the bird place alot of the photographers were set up in one place that I knew would be good for pics but I didnt have the guts to go over there also because they were so professional looking.
And even when I get my big lens Im going to be thinking "cant go over there because what if one of them recognises that I might be using it wrong "
I know this probably rediculous and its all in my silly head but does anyone ever get like this or did you when you firts started ?

I have had your feeling before, however I found that sometimes when you head over they are more than welcoming if you show an interest in their kit aswell. You have nothing to lose :)

I know exactly how you feel Joe..I still feel like that at times, although now generally I don't really care what others think. Everyone has to start somewhere and equally, how are they to know whether you might have chosen your position for a particular artistic reason. I have been to events where there have been several press toggers who had assumed their positions and I was just on the side of the road. In the end most of them actually came to stand in my position. As for the lens envy, that will never go away..but, just because someone has all the gear does not mean they know what they are doing! If won the lottery I would be shooting with the top of the range gear but probably produce images no better than a normal P&S.

I just had a look at your Flickr page and you have nothing to worry about, Owl2 and Kestrel are damn good images.
It not the cost of the equipment but how you put it to good use.

I started out feeling that way until a very helpful photographer took his time to explain the best way to take photos of the cars doing laps at Castle Combe. Most 'togs I've run into have been very helpful and made loads of suggestions to help, rather than laughed at my 1000D with the Sigma 70-200 I was using!

And even when I get my big lens Im going to be thinking "cant go over there because what if one of them recognises that I might be using it wrong "I know this probably rediculous and its all in my silly head but does anyone ever get like this or did you when you firts started ?

To be honest, unless you start shouting from the rooftops 'which of these auto-settings should I be using now, is it the one with the little person/little mountain/little whatever' I don't see how anyone else would even know what you are doing and whether it is right or wrong (assuming you know how to hold a camera ;) )

At a bird of prey centre, open to the public etc, I could not care less what others think of my (pretty basic) kit. I am there to experience the day an to take some photographs I might like or learn from. Honestly, you are nuts if you enjoy what you do but worry about what others think of you.

Those other togs more than likely no better than you and many may have gone there on the same assumption as you - just because I or anyone else stand in one position does not make that the best position, so you could well have been (inadvertently, maybe) in the best place anyway! :D

In some cases it's "all the gear and no idea"

The lens alone does not make you a good photographer
Its the same with sportscars and golf clubs

You have nothing to worry about

Don't worry about it, chances are you'd get better images than some of those with the better spec equipment. Just because they've got the money to buy it, doesn't mean they know how to use it. At the end of the day, we're all togs and we all share a passion, camera/lens snobbery should never come into it.

Put it another way, do you look down your nose at people using compacts or camera phones? I don't think so!

Put it another way, do you look down your nose at people using compacts or camera phones? I don't think so!

I don't, although it was quite amusing at the Ingleton Waterfalls meet the other week. We got to one great looking fall (well, about as great as it got given the weather), and there's a line of about a dozen of us all with nice looking bodies and chunky lenses attached, many on big heavy tripods.

And then there's this couple stood there, not part of our lot but fairly close to us, the lady sees all of us with our gear, then slowly sneaks the point n' shoot out of her purse, slyly passes it to (presumably) her husband for him to shoot, then uses herself as a human shield to block the view so we can't see him while he takes his shot and then hastily puts the camera in his pocket. :D

I don't, although it was quite amusing at the Ingleton Waterfalls meet the other week. We got to one great looking fall (well, about as great as it got given the weather), and there's a line of about a dozen of us all with nice looking bodies and chunky lenses attached, many on big heavy tripods.

And then there's this couple stood there, not part of our lot but fairly close to us, the lady sees all of us with our gear, then slowly sneaks the point n' shoot out of her purse, slyly passes it to (presumably) her husband for him to shoot, then uses herself as a human shield to block the view so we can't see him while he takes his shot and then hastily puts the camera in his pocket. :D

:D LOL
I wouldnt of even done that I would of ran away crying :LOL:

I'd have passed it to one of you lot and said "ere you look like you know what you're doin, get us a couple decent picies will ya?" :LOL::LOL:

"

Wouldn't worry about it mate, went to a workshop recently with my kit lens. Looked around and everyone has a 5d and red ringed L lenses. When the workshop started most of them didn't really have a clue about a lot of things. Turned out I knew more than most of them there.
So carry on mate and everything you do, do it with confidence - then everyone else starts to worry that they're doing it wrong.

I get the same feelings as you when I pick up the camera. Once I start shooting it diminishes quickly as the world shrinks to the viewfinder and that is all i think about. Can come back between shots sometimes. Getting less with time.

Plug away and forget about those with the massive glass, they are mainly canon users anyway :D

Tony

Plug away and forget about those with the massive glass, they are mainly canon users anyway :D

Tony strikes :)

To add more than just this however ... I can share a feeling or two like this myself, and I appreciate the advice given here on it as well.

Sincerely,

- Peet

I had similar feelings when I first started going out with the camera, but it wasn't to do with the size of the lens, it was more of "do I look like a prat with this camera?" :D

It was the same when I went out in a dress for the first time :LOL:, in the end I thought "F it who cares" and just got on with the day, came back more confident than before :)

Now I go out with the camera gear and tripods ect, not caring about what anyone thinks, just get on with the task in hand, taking photographs (y)

Im definately not the only one then.
My other big thing which I havnt done yet is carrying my tripod around London or somewhere similar for some night shots of the city, and also im going to new york in december and will be taking my tripod again for night shot of the city, has anyone done this ?

Im definately not the only one then.
My other big thing which I havnt done yet is carrying my tripod around London or somewhere similar for some night shots of the city, and also im going to new york in december and will be taking my tripod again for night shot of the city, has anyone done this ?

As a central London creature I'm out here every day, and night, with my camera. I think you'll find that there's so many people here that none will pay much attention to you, no matter what gear you use. And besides, it's so common with people rigging up massive tripods and lenses that people just don't care and notice.

I think it's only when you start looking around to see if people are watching you that you body language change and people notice that, and that's when you draw attention.

So, just go out there and use the thing you need to get the picture you want. A trick that worked for me in the beginning and helped me relax was to put on some headphones and listed to some good music.

Back