Self driving bus? Oh dear!

Cobra

In Memoriam. TPer Emeritus
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
Milton Keynes has been selected to trial a new self-driving bus as part of a Europe-wide research project that’s the longest and most geographically complex of its kind.
source

They tried this a couple or so years back with cars, and they kept hitting bollards...

its amazing how this kind of self driving tech is evolving i think its a game changer for the future

i think its a game changer for the future
Very much into the future with a bit of luck.
Many of us still like driving, and to be in control of that vehicle,
not have some machine doing it all for you.
*in the year 2525*

I think horses for courses - in cities with well defined main routes and bus lanes, fine, but not on the roads mixing it with all sorts of other road users. Can you imagine them coping with e-scooters? If we humans have trouble with them, how will a computer system? The bus would be a bundle of nerves poor thing.

Reactions: zx9
I think horses for courses - in cities with well defined main routes and bus lanes, fine, but not on the roads mixing it with all sorts of other road users. Can you imagine them coping with e-scooters? If we humans have trouble with them, how will a computer system? The bus would be a bundle of nerves poor thing.

but i don't think so , computing power is huge now adays , bundled with dozens of sensors and cameras and AI with complex GPS I think it would exceed the ability of a human driver

even our own gov studies say so

Can you imagine them coping with e-scooters?
I thunk they'd have to catch them first, I was going down a local road the other day, lots of speed ramps, 25mph was my top speed down the road,
There was a scooter on the path, pulling away from me all the time.
in cities with well defined main routes and bus lanes,
The MK bus service and routes are a total shambles, :(

Years ago my car was hit by a bus and it was me that ended up being questioned by the police. I'd been sat stationary ready to turn right when the bus attempted to squeeze though on my left but didn't quite make it and scraped all down the side of my car. When I looked at where he was in the road there was a good foot or so before the pavement and he could have made it.

I could never understand how I was to blame for this and how I ended up being questioned by a very snotty plod but at the time I was only 18 and took it on the chin.

I'm tempted to say that a self driving bus could be an improvement on some of the drivers.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdGzkQnbh2M

It'll be fun to see how they handle the speed of cars on some of the bigger roundabouts :runaway:
They'll just go straight across like some cars do, I hope the ground clearance on the busses is better than the cars that try it :D

Inverness has had an autonomous bus for over a year, as far as I know it's never run because they don't have a driver for it....

I wouldn't know Nod, I read about it in a Spanish paper - I guess I missed that somewhere in the translation if it was mentioned. :rolleyes:

I thought it was funny, so just found this clip about it on YT.

We have an autonomous bus route here, runs from Fife to Edinburgh and return, it has two staff on board, one for the passengers welfare and one to drive the bus over the Forth Rd Bridge, previously this route was a one man operation, why bother?

Back