Self portrait with 645 camera

MindofMel

Suspended / Banned
Name
Mel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I want to take some self portraits with my bronica ETRS... I'm just wondering how i can focus?

Say I have my light+softbox + bronica on a tripod. I have a cable release and a light-meter.

I can meter the exposure settings I would need but any ways of working out whether I'm focused or not?

I could do the whole tape measure from my nose to lens glass - convert to metres/feet and then dial it in on the lens - but does that work?

If I do this, is it better just to whack it on f8 - but I kind of want f2.8 shallow DOF on my eyes etc...

:help:

Do you know any one of approximate height and build you could focus on? F2.8 still has some dof so you've got some margin, not sure I'd try it at f1.4.

Don't forget, most focus distances are done from film plane to subject, rather than lens glass to subject.

You could try using the hyper focal ranges on the lens barrel, stand within the range and you should be ok, but f2.8 you will not have much DOF.

Place something where you are going to stand like maybe another tripod and focus on it and then move it and take its place. Still going to be a bit hit and miss though.

A lot of people use string, hang it from the ceiling using blue tack, focus, get in position (eyes in line with string) and then pull it down...

A lot of people use string, hang it from the ceiling using blue tack, focus, get in position (eyes in line with string) and then pull it down...

Genius, simple and effective. I was thinking webcam pointing into wlf connected to computer screen with stick connected to lens for focussing :LOL:

Back