Selling on gumtree

Name
Andrius
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

Just selling a laptop, and got some interest and after one day of exchanging emails (via gumtree mail server) and agreeing on price, i just found out that buyer is in London (I'm in Sheffield). My advert didn't say collection only tho. So he wants it delivered. Now we agreed that buyer will pay via bank transfer (no details been given yet) so thought will ask here how safe accepting bank transfers from people you don't know and how likely i can get chargebacks? what i need to look for etc.?

cheers
Andrius

If you really must sell stuff on Gumtree then always deal in person, if it is for large sums of cash then somewhere public as well with lots of people around.

If you really must sell stuff on Gumtree then always deal in person, if it is for large sums of cash then somewhere public as well with lots of people around.

i'm thinking same about selling in person. Just wanted to know if buyer can do a chargeback (on bank transfer) once he receives the item if I do decide to sell/send (in this case I said I won't proceed with a sale, just want to know what poeple think.)

cheers

Chargebacks are normally used for cards (where there is a card merchant) not to bank transfers as far as I am aware ... whilst it isn't impossible to get transferred money back I believe it is far more difficult.

They can't cancel transfer. Just don't take checque and watch out for any direct debits set...

You can't cancel a transfer but I believe you can still try to reverse it but claiming fraud or something along those lines. Someone on this forum did this (you might find it in disputed threads). So its not impossible.

Perhaps paypal gift is better?

I tried once when I did mistake - Barclays told me to wait for return transfer, but they couldn't do anything about it.

Don't be fooled by the old bank transfers cannot be reversed routine.

They most definitely can, the money may come from a compromised account if the person is a scammer then 3 days later the person whos account
it is realises then bam that money will disappear from your account with no ability to challenge it.

Someone can even walk into a western union with a stolen bank card and stolen ID and use it to wire money in the same way.

Even bankers drafts ain't secure. AFAIK the only 100% safe kinds of payment are building society cheques and cash - and that assuming neither is fake. Oh and maybe Bitcoin.

Back