Selling Scam? Cheap Lenses?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

not sure if this is the best place to post or not but I've recently seen a camera and lens for sale... its a D3100 and an 85mm 1.8G nikon lens.. (which I am wanting!) The full kit is for sale for £300, and I have enquired about selling the lens only... I have been told he wants £150 for the lens *now alarm bells ring*

The guy is only 40 minutes away from me, I've asked if the lens is good, any problems etc.. hes said no problem, I can come see it to see if it's okay...
Does this price seem too good to be true? or do you think it's just a guy after a quick sale?
Many Thanks
Andy

Doesnt the lens go for around £300 second hand.? If he wants half then it sounds dodgy to me. Does the lens come with any accessories? If there is no rear/front caps then potentially it could be stolen. No battery charger with the camera is another good sign.

Another point to look for regarding sellers is if they have some kind of online presence ie Flickr Instagram etc. If they are into photography 99% of the time they have somewhere they show images. Ask for some images taken with the lens-they should have some in the archives.

Last edited:
Doesnt the lens go for around £300 second hand.? If he wants half then it sounds dodgy to me. Does the lens come with any accessories? If there is no rear/front caps then potentially it could be stolen. No battery charger with the camera is another good sign.

Another point to look for regarding sellers is if they have some kind of online presence ie Flickr Instagram etc. If they are into photography 99% of the time they have somewhere they show images. Ask for some images taken with the lens-they should have some in the archives.

Also, if going to a meet up .........make it a public place with folk around. Personal safety is key!

Having said that, and bearing in mind the possible clues to be aware above in regard to dodgy dealings.......he could be genuine i.e. quick sale and/or knows not what it's true worth could be???

I'm going to try and meet him this weekend hopefully, looking through his facebook he doesn't seem to be into his photography, however he does seem to be into his gadgets, flash cars, big TV's etc... i'm assuming he just likes his electronic toys, possibly bought them before but never had much intention of using them and got rid of it...
I have seen the picture of the camera and it does have a charger which is a plus side! so fingers crossed it's legit.

Maybe he doesn't have a clue what he's selling.

If he has a cheap D850 let me know

It could be dodgy or not. I went to see a tripod the other week, the guy selling it obviously didn't have a clue about it (alarm bells) nor about it's value, I ended up leaving it. I don't need another tripod that badly... :)

It could be dodgy or not. I went to see a tripod the other week, the guy selling it obviously didn't have a clue about it (alarm bells) nor about it's value, I ended up leaving it. I don't need another tripod that badly... :)
not always it could have belonged to a deceased relative . . you have to say to yourself would I buy from someone that lives in a house like that if its a nice place its usually legit . we recently bought a rather expensive t.v stand for a fiver , sounded to good to be true but when we picked it up the brand new Audi and Porsche outside the door dispelled any doubts . and a really nice guy to

I've spoke to the guy and hoping to meet him on Saturday! Hopefully I'll post back Saturday night with my new 85mm! (heart breaking as it is getting out away by Santa for me!)

Got to Newcastle, no contact from the guy, unreachable on Facebook, no luck at all. Got home the next day he leaves his number.

Found another guy local to me selling the same lens in great condition for £200 with a hiya uv filter and a carry bag!
No concerns about this guy, seems as genuine as they get, picking the lens up on Wednesday!

Well done, I hope that it all works out well in the end. My advice is 'trust your instincts' - they have been honed over many years and you are almost always going to be right.

not always it could have belonged to a deceased relative . . you have to say to yourself would I buy from someone that lives in a house like that if its a nice place its usually legit . we recently bought a rather expensive t.v stand for a fiver , sounded to good to be true but when we picked it up the brand new Audi and Porsche outside the door dispelled any doubts . and a really nice guy to

When I bought our current house 10 years ago, I checked out the neighbours Merc in his driveway and felt happy.

Turns out he was a drug dealer :(. Things went really bad when he got arrested and his junkie wife went on the game to make ends meet!! Teenage kids were alone at home most of the time and in party mode all night.

When I bought our current house 10 years ago, I checked out the neighbours Merc in his driveway and felt happy.

Turns out he was a drug dealer :(. Things went really bad when he got arrested and his junkie wife went on the game to make ends meet!! Teenage kids were alone at home most of the time and in party mode all night.

This thread escalated! :LOL:

My faith in humanity is reinstated!
Met a lovely chap last night, former pro now hobbyist, picked up a great 1.8 85mm with a 67mm UV filter and a lens bag...

He also has a 55-200 for sale which i'm tempted by!

Back