selling to wycameras

Name
nik
Edit My Images
No
hi guys thinking of selling a few of my 35mm cameras and lenses. anyone got prices from wyc? ive asked for one but heard nothing back yet, are they normally quick and ok price wise? ive bought from them a few times and always found that side of their service great.

hi guys thinking of selling a few of my 35mm cameras and lenses. anyone got prices from wyc? ive asked for one but heard nothing back yet, are they normally quick and ok price wise? ive bought from them a few times and always found that side of their service great.

they are probably closed maybe furloughed.

i did wander if the message on the web site was an old one.

I sent stuff to them pre-pandemic, and the prices were a little low for my liking. Ended up taking them back and going eBay on a £1-max-fee day for a much better return. Comms were pretty good (I've had more responsive) for what is a very small team I think.

Fairly certain the web side of the business is still running, but likely to be slower when the shop is shut - especially receiving/valuing etc.

I think that because their sale prices are extremely competitive, their cash-buy or px values are going to be lower. If I were selling anything that's less than £100-£150 I'd go eBay or the film classifieds here. It also depends on whether you're px'ing and have seen something you like. Anything super expensive would probably be px'd with a company that has what I'm looking to buy just for the peace of mind.

I've sold to them at least twice, once for cash and once part exchange in the last year. The prices were lower than I would like, but on the other side of the coin they aren't expensive (in my opinion) to buy from, they do carefully check equipment before giving a price (which adds to their costs), I've always found them helpful, and I've occasionally got a freebie when I've been to the shop. You didn't ask for a comparision, but from my observations and experience with two other companies, the offers are actually fair given their selling prices and service.

Bottom line - I would use them again.

thanks guys, much appreciated.
no real rush, i will see what price they offer.
its for 4 or 5 35mm cameras and a few lenses so its much easier if i could sell in one go. ive just sent the model and how i rate condition to them via the contact form, so nothing lost its its low ball.

They've been posting a lot of videos on their Instagram story lately of them ripping all their counters out and having a big refurb. It sounds like they've been very busy so I guess they could be running a bit slow because of it.

Would some one selling your gear for you and taking a cut be better?

Would some one selling your gear for you and taking a cut be better?
Ffordes generally offer 3 different prices for kit, namely straight buying by them for stock, px for another purchase from them, and commission sale. Commission will be the highest, but you'll have to wait until your kit sells before you get any money, so that can be difficult if you want your new items in a hurry. ;) I don't know whether WYC offer a similar choice?

Last edited:
Mr Cad is perhaps another option..... I can’t remember the gentleman’s name off hand ( the owner) and although only ever spoken on the phone with him, he is a very approachable, fair and open to discussion when considering deals.

Ffordes generally offer 3 different prices for kit, namely straight buying by them for stock, px for another purchase from them, and commission sale. Commission will be the highest, but you'll have to wait until your kit sells before you get any money, so that can be difficult if you want your new items in a hurry. ;) I don't know whether WYC offer a similar choice?

If you don't like the idea of selling to international buyers it seems the safest way although you might lose a few £££s this way........

Perhaps list them here in the sales section first and see if anyone is interested. If you don't get any joy within a couple of weeks then consider selling to a dealer or taking a chance on eBay?

What are they? I might be in the market for a compact SLR and I don't have access to the sales section yet!

What are they? I might be in the market for a compact SLR and I don't have access to the sales section yet!

ive used ffordes before and bought from mr. cad just thought i would try wyc for a price. i might just bung them up on here, but as i said i was hoping to just sell in one go rather than one by one. no reply yet from wyc so they might end up on here in the end. as well as the 35mm stuff might also be an etrsi i might sell as well, ive got two but dont really need two bodies.
ill give them a bit longer, before having anouther think.

Mr Cad is perhaps another option..... I can’t remember the gentleman’s name off hand ( the owner) and although only ever spoken on the phone with him, he is a very approachable, fair and open to discussion when considering deals.

The owners name is Alex Falk.

You have to be wary of buying off Mr Cad, I have recent experience of buying a 90mm macro Tamron for a Minolta MD and to be honest it looked as if it had been in someones loft for years and sold to them who sold it straight on and not even cleaning it. They exchanged it without quibble but it should never have been sent out like that. Conversely I have also bought a Minolta Autometer 3 with all the attachments and it works and looks perfect. You just have to be very careful.

Last edited by a moderator:
We visited Mr Cad a couple of years ago and it's an Aladdin's cave, stuff everywhere with very little organisation. There's some wonderful things in stunning condition but also a fair share of cruddy stuff that looks like it was straight from the loft onto the shelf. Pot luck what you get I suppose.

We visited Mr Cad a couple of years ago and it's an Aladdin's cave, stuff everywhere with very little organisation. There's some wonderful things in stunning condition but also a fair share of cruddy stuff that looks like it was straight from the loft onto the shelf. Pot luck what you get I suppose.
On a par with fleabay then ;)

To be fair , the few times I’ve bought from them, the gear has been good, fully functional and customer service faultless.

My experience mirrors Asha's.

well wycameras got back to me and are picking the 35mm kit up on wed,
haven't made my mind up yet on what to do with my etrsi.
will update on here after the deals done just to let people know what to expect and how it went. very friendly so far

Update as promised.
Wyc picked up cameras and paid very quickly and great comms. The 1st bit waiting for a price was slow but after that, really good service. Only slight downside was as others have said price on the low side, but i was happy to go with the offer.

Lost my photo mojo 5 years ago and shown no sign of returning so time to sell everything including Ebony 810, Ebony sv45u2, 6x17 adapter, Hasselblad 203fe, Contax645, Contax RX2, personal Leica MP, many quality lenses incl Cooke ps945, 35mm summilux and all of the usual accessories. Most kit minty. Probably eBay (access to global market) for rare stuff but what about commission sale for rest?

Lost my photo mojo 5 years ago and shown no sign of returning so time to sell everything including Ebony 810, Ebony sv45u2, 6x17 adapter, Hasselblad 203fe, Contax645, Contax RX2, personal Leica MP, many quality lenses incl Cooke ps945, 35mm summilux and all of the usual accessories. Most kit minty. Probably eBay (access to global market) for rare stuff but what about commission sale for rest?
I would list all the gear out in Notepad or similar, then compose an email to a few of the resellers and paste it in. Ffordes, WYCameras, Harrisons etc.. You can then decide which one you want to go with based on fees, expected returns etc.

And when you do, let us know on here where you went :) ... I'm looking for a black paint MP at the moment and the dealers are showing no signs of getting any from Germany...

Sorry to hear that John, and I guess the current lockdown situation doesn't help to get your mojo working again. I can't help with WYCameras for commission sales, but I've sold on commission through Ffordes several times over the years and they do both LF and MF. Their page on commission sales is at the link below, and is worth reading as a standard to be expected should you choose to sell elsewhere. Best of luck and I hope it works out for you.

Pre-Covid I took quite a bit of stuff to them and was pleasantly surprised at how much they gave me. Incidentally there’s a nice tea shop opposite, and WY have an arrangement with them for a free brew for their customers.

I didn't know about the tea shop offer. Although the time I went to the tea rooms was just before WYC opened, and when I was last at WYC was the day the tea rooms were closed...

Last edited:

Ebony 810, you say.... Have you sold all of this stuff yet? :)

I have used WY Cameras, Ffordes, etc. and they’re all fine, but I almost always first post in the film classifieds here to see if there is any interest. Have you considered this? I usually give it a few days and if items don’t sell then contact WY and so on.

As for eBay, I’ve also used this too extensively, but the world feels considerably smaller since the turn of the year. Be prepared for more headaches buying and selling outside UK.

Back