Sensor clean with lens pen?

Be careful rtjdesign, "Lenspen" is a trade name. Lenspens designed to clean lenses CANNOT be used on DSLR sensors. But they DO make a product designed just for that, have a look here: -

http://www.lenspen.com/?cPath=&products_id=LP-1&tpid=146

Pete

Ahh I see, good job I did not just go and do it there is quite alot of sticky dust on my sensor and I do not have a blower or any of them brush things to get it off. Help?

Ryan

DSC_2174.jpg

Dirtiest sensor ever? had it over a year and never cleaned it.

Have you tried 'improvising' with a household vacuum cleaner? I bet that question has made a few hairs stand on end.
When I was skint..still am....I was desperate :help:to clean my sensors but didn't want to touch them physically, not even with a soft brush.
In the end I got a small bore plastic tube about a foot long and taped to the end of my vacuum cleaner pipe using gaffer tape:bonk:, and very gingerly hoovered the inside of my camera without touching anything, incredibly, it worked pretty damned fine and got 99% of the crap out, the couple of bits it left behind I cloned out the images.
I don't really say 'do this yourself' just saying what i did when I had no other way of cleaning the sensor and got away with it(y), I now have a Delkin sensor cleaning kit which is pretty mustard but expensive

Have you tried 'improvising' with a household vacuum cleaner? I bet that question has made a few hairs stand on end.
When I was skint..still am....I was desperate :help:to clean my sensors but didn't want to touch them physically, not even with a soft brush.
In the end I got a small bore plastic tube about a foot long and taped to the end of my vacuum cleaner pipe using gaffer tape:bonk:, and very gingerly hoovered the inside of my camera without touching anything, incredibly, it worked pretty damned fine and got 99% of the crap out, the couple of bits it left behind I cloned out the images.
I don't really say 'do this yourself' just saying what i did when I had no other way of cleaning the sensor and got away with it(y), I now have a Delkin sensor cleaning kit which is pretty mustard but expensive

I have tried brushing it with a soft brush, turning it upside down and blowing inside, I ordered a very cheap blower but I believe the dust is sticky!

Question I should of asked, are you absolutely certain it is the sensor and not dust on, or even in the lens? I don't want to teach you to suck eggs, it was just a thought. A hope even, I'd much rather clean a lens, inside as well as out, than a cmos.
Maybe I should just say try the vacuum trick, if the dust is sticky I don't know that a blower will move it and then if it did, where will it go and stick next?
f you did try the vacuum please please don't touch the cmos, sensor, they are actually pretty robust beasties but they are easily scratched with anything that is abrasive, even a soft brush can hurt them if it drags a bit of hard dust across it.
I do know how your feeling, been there often, am worried about you touching the sensor though, its an expensive disaster if a scratch happens, but there is always a way through.

A lens pen is absolutely the wrong thing to clean a sensor with.

I have some official Nikon training videos that show the right way to do it (can't share them due to Copyright) but I maybe OK to post some stills...

Do not poke at your sensor with one of those whatever you do!

Dont use a hoover, a lenspen, a cloth, a squirter, or an anteater.

Either get the proper equipment (sensor cleaning swabs or pecpads etc), or pay someone to do it.

Trust me, you *will* make matters worse :)

Dont use a hoover, a lenspen, a cloth, a squirter, or an anteater.

Either get the proper equipment (sensor cleaning swabs or pecpads etc), or pay someone to do it.

Trust me, you *will* make matters worse :)

I gathered that much my dad was trying to get me to use a car tyre electric pump!

I have ordered a blower off dealextreme for like 2 quid I had, and sorting out some swabs and liquid!

So no more chance of me stabbing it up by "scraping the dirt off with a knife"

Sensor swabs; sensor cleaning fluid and cleaning guide despatched this morning. (y)
Allow a few days for delivery, not only because I live in remote part of valley but as much as I love 'em, the French do things in their own sweet time, no such thing as next day delivery here I'm afraid.

Ryan, it is important you read the guide and follow the guide fully, the crap has been on your sensor a long time and the potential for damage huge and as mentioned in other correspondence, if you have any metallic based dust stuck on there, the damage is probably already done.
The cleaning fluid and swabs are made specifically for sensor cleaning but even so, you have to be ultra careful.
The cost of repair is crippling and would probably be cheaper to buy a new camera and as you are clearly in the same boat, H.M.S. Skint, I sailed in a couple of years back, that is not an option. Goodluck. ;)

Sensor swabs; sensor cleaning fluid and cleaning guide despatched this morning. (y)
Allow a few days for delivery, not only because I live in remote part of valley but as much as I love 'em, the French do things in their own sweet time, no such thing as next day delivery here I'm afraid.

Ryan, it is important you read the guide and follow the guide fully, the crap has been on your sensor a long time and the potential for damage huge and as mentioned in other correspondence, if you have any metallic based dust stuck on there, the damage is probably already done.
The cleaning fluid and swabs are made specifically for sensor cleaning but even so, you have to be ultra careful.
The cost of repair is crippling and would probably be cheaper to buy a new camera and as you are clearly in the same boat, H.M.S. Skint, I sailed in a couple of years back, that is not an option. Goodluck. ;)

Cheers Terry, I will follow the instructions very carefully. God know's what type of dust it is It won't blow off could just be sticky!

Back