Tutorial Sensor Cleaning - My Copperhill Style cleaning

:eek: Never seen that many marks on a sensor before MK!:help:

Well recovered though, judging by your before and after pics, good effort! (y)

:eek: That would give me a heartattack using something like that...lol (I fully understand about the impatience though :D)

I just got these brushes. Worked a charm on the 1D, I'd had a few stubborn bits which the blower couldn't shift.

Thanks for the link dod, i have now purchased some of those brushes as my sensor is in need of a clean:(.

I actually looked at the link too and nearly bought some but would like to hear a more in-depth review please.:)

Missed that BB, sorry :)

They seem to work pretty well. I'd actually ordered a set of pads, eclipse etc as well but these arrived first. Didin't have any compressed air to charge them so just gave them a blast with the rocket blower, not sure if it helped but couldn't do any harm. Like an idiot I've deleted the before/after shots but the 20D (did both) was in quite a state before hand. After, there were two spots still there and one of them got removed by the rocket blower.

Don't think they'd replace a wet clean but a cheap, arguably safe method (if anything is) for doing a quick clean up.

How bizarre dod, You answer this post and not 1 hour ago I bought from the same seller Buy It Now..:D

Will let you know what I think when they arrive..(y)

They make one specially designed for cleaning sensors. It even says on their website "LENSPEN SensorKlear is simple to use, convenient and proven safe and effective for digital camera sensors."

It has always worked for me, but have other people have had problems? If so I might start to use something else.

Thanks for the link dod, i have now purchased some of those brushes as my sensor is in need of a clean:(.

Mine arrived the other day so will have a go at cleaning the sensor this weekend hopefully. Dod how do you clean your brushes and store them after use?

Just gave them a blast with the rocket blower and stuffed them back into the bags.

Oh dear....time for my sensor to get a much needed spring clean I think! I hate this job! :shake:

I think this thread needs a fresh bump - I've just had a clean for the second time since getting my 40D two years ago, and it's worked wonders.

It's scary, but if you follow the instructions there's nothing to worry about.

Go all ye toggers and clean your sensors! :D

Holt thread revival :D

It is very easy, but do please bear in mind, it's also VERY EASY to scratch your sensor.......

I'd like to thank the OP for a useful guide. I have been meaning to do this for ages and finally got round to it earlier today. Took about half an hour. I pretty much followed your method exactly. I thought I would share the results.

All images have been auto leveled in Photoshop which drastically homes in on the sensor dust. So do not worry about odd colours/noise etc it picks up on. This is plainly to see the dust as easily as possible.

Original Dust on Sensor with no treatment:

web_original_dirt.jpg

After just one swab (two movements left to right, top half then bottom half)

1.jpg

2nd

2.jpg

3rd

3.jpg

4th

4.jpg

And finally the 5th Final Swab, even auto levels fails to pick anything up worth worrying about.

6th_final_swab.jpg

anyone know where to get all this kit from as the OP is 2 years old ?

Just checked ebay and the spatulas are quite easy to find-from the same seller too. I'm just a little concerned at the idea of cutting the spatulas as doing that left me with an unnoticed sharp edge which scratched a 10D sensor some years ago, other than that this seems the best method.

I'm intrigued as to how a polythene spatula can make a scratch. Could it have picked up grit from whatever you cut it on?

I used Adrian's kit to clean my sensors no problem. I was actually surprised by how easy it was.

I keep meaning to buy the required materials for my own use, but i keep forgetting.

Picked up an old D1 off eBay last week and it had a sensor you could grow potatoes on (looks even worse full size):

Sensor1_Before.jpg

Firstly gave it a blast with a rocket blower to get this (ignore the bit of roof bottom left):

Sensor2_Blower.jpg

Then I gave it a few sweeps with an Arctic Butterfly brush which got rid of a few specks:

Sensor3_Butterfly.jpg

I then dug out my last two sensor swabs and gave it a couple of sweeps with Eclipse cleaning solution:

Sensor4_Eclipse.jpg

Much improved, but a few stubborn spots that need more of a "scrub" when I get some more sensor swabs in.

Whilst sensor cleaning can seem daunting initially, the before and after shots show the results you can achieve easily at home with the right kit.

I have a D60 which needs a clean prior to sale to a freind. I was a bit concerned about which fluid to use after reading through the posts. Any advice?

I followed Robert's method. A bit unsure about the spatula bit I initially invested in some swabs the correct size for my sensor. Once used I kept the swabs but removed the cleaning cloths and replace with a fresh Pec Pad every time I use,

Having looked at the pec pads available on flee bay I'm even more confused as it says not suitable for sensors :shrug:

Fantastic advice. I got a D3s cleaned by Calumet at £55 but wish I had seen this sooner, seems so simple! Is it safe to use the bristle brush you usually get in lens pens to brush away light dust/dirt?

Fantastic advice. I got a D3s cleaned by Calumet at £55 but wish I had seen this sooner, seems so simple! Is it safe to use the bristle brush you usually get in lens pens to brush away light dust/dirt?

IMO don't use a lens pen lol. I bought one as mine needed a quick clean and now its ten times worse. I have gone from some small dust spots to massive flecks that were visible to the naked eye when looking at the sensor. I have managed to blow most of it out now but still need to wet clean it at some point.

Thanks for the advice guys I noticed some specs of dust/dirt on the viewfinder and the mirror. My sensor seems clean. What do you guys recommend for that? I tried to use the whiskers on the brush which has removed some particles from the mirror the viewfinder prinsm above it, but not sure what to do to remove the more stuck on stuff. I imagine a lens pen would be okay on the mirror?

Jus took some pics at f22 against my ceiling and when I enlarge the image I can notice some black specs still. On top of that there is some dust on my viewfinder/mirror :( Calumet didn't do the best of job, wish I had saved my £55 towards a 24-70 or 70-200 :(

Well I have tried and have had a much better sensor clear up, it's not perfect but I've removed 80% of the dust on the lens. I think I will admit defeat over the other 20% and get it cleaned "professionally" after my summerh olidays which are sadly happening too soon to get this cleaned and back before I go. Never mind!

Back