Sensor cleaning stuff

Edit My Images
No
Hello this is my first post.

I've had my Canon 10D for a year now. It is starting to show some dust on the sensor. I can source pec pads and eclipse fluid in the uk but can't find the "sensor swipe" stick. Can anyone suggest where to buy them? All together if possible to save on postage. I can buy a kit from the USA but the postage is nearly as much as the kit. This is the site I've been looking at http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning

Thanks GSVHammer

GSVHammer said:
Thanks for the reply. Could you remove the used digipad and place a new pec pad over the plastic bit?

I suppose you could but you'd need to be wearing sterile powder-free surgical gloves to ddo the fiddling about and there's still a possibility that you'd end up contaminating the pec pad. I have thought about doing exactly that myself but decided against as the digi pads are sealed until just before they're used.

Hi GSV, I made a spatula myself... from a, erm, 50p spatula from Ikea... took a Stanley knife to it & it works fine... did away with the handle bit as it got in the way & I couldn't see what I was doing.

... & the only bit of the pec pad you need to avoid touching is the middle bit that you're going to be wiping with.

Really wierd... one weekend I change lenses first in a smoky field, then on a building site... expect to be PS'ing out blobs for hrs & there's nothing :shock: ... another weekend I change lenses once in my living room & I've got blobs galore... guess I should hoover the house once in a while huh? :eyesup:

Adrian said:
I suppose you could but you'd need to be wearing sterile powder-free surgical gloves to ddo the fiddling about and there's still a possibility that you'd end up contaminating the pec pad. I have thought about doing exactly that myself but decided against as the digi pads are sealed until just before they're used.

At £20 for 10 digipads they are expensive. I may need more than one for my first attempt. I haven't cleaned my sensor before and my camera is over a year old. I can now see signs of dust when using my zoom.

Thank you both for the replies.

If it's only when using your zoom it might not be sensor dust... do the blobs turn up when you use another lens? The blobs would be in exactly the same place on all files (unless of course theyre being blown around when you change lenses) irrespective of how much you're zoomed in.

Yes dust is visible on all lenses, but more so when zoomed. I clean the lenses regulary. I've ordered the eclipse fluid and pec pads. I've found some plastic knives in the cupboard. I'll have a go at cutting one of these down. Thanks all for the replies.

Plastic knives might be a bit too stiff... beleive me I know you're goin to be careful but I'd hate for something to go wrong... I used the rubber section stripped off a spatula & cut to size.

GSVHammer said:
They have a bit of flex in them.

I'd seriously advise not doing that - the Digi Pad spatulas have a lot of flex and are fairly soft. Even if you don't want the expense of Digi Pads, I'd think about buying one lot then keeping the spatula bits and wrapping your own pecpads round them. What's a few quid every few weeks or months compared to the cost of a new sensor?

Well the knives are flexi and will be well wrapped in pec pads. I wont use to much pressure. I'll keep a knife for my wrists if it all goes wrong!

I just hope they post quickly as I'm heading over you way next week for the Sunderland Airshow. I'm looking forward to seeing Eurofighter/Typhoon fly as I've not seen this yet.
I'm going to visit Windermere Airshow this Sunday.

GSVHammer said:
I just hope they post quickly as I'm heading over you way next week for the Sunderland Airshow. I'm looking forward to seeing Eurofighter/Typhoon fly as I've not seen this yet.
I'm going to visit Windermere Airshow this Sunday.

I'll be at the Sunderland airshow - probably on the Saturday. If you see someone with a geet big white zoom lens, that'll probably be me.

Adrian said:
I'll be at the Sunderland airshow - probably on the Saturday. If you see someone with a geet big white zoom lens, that'll probably be me.

I suspect that you won't be the only one there with a "big white lens" ;)

GSVHammer said:
True he wont. A friend and myself are going on Sunday. 10D & a 20D with 2x 100-400 L "Big White Lenses"
Exactly the reason i won't be going, as i only have a small black one. :icon_redf

KenCo1964 said:
Exactly the reason i won't be going, as i only have a small black one. :icon_redf

Don't let that put you off. It's worth it just to watch the planes. You can get some good wide photos of the Red Arrows with that lens.

Sorry to take your post off topic. I have never been to the air show and would like to go but am planning any free time around the Tall Ships. Maybe next year and hopefully by then i will have a big white one.

KenCo1964 said:
Sorry to take your post off topic. I have never been to the air show and would like to go but am planning any free time around the Tall Ships. Maybe next year and hopefully by then i will have a big white one.

No problem. Any more info on "The Tall Ships". I need to get out more with my camera.

GSVHammer said:
Well I'm at Windermere this Sunday and working 2-10 next week. So that kinda rules it out for me :(. Thanks for the info.
Too bad, but i'm sure you will get some good shots of the lakes, i'd love to go back there armed with a camera. Hope you can get it cleaned for then.

Back