Sensor Cleaning

I use visible dust kits as well as a visible dust sensor loupe and artic butterfly.

It's fairly easy once you get over the first time.

Eyelead!

…but beware of copies, must be made in Germany!

Wot Kodiak said. I've been using one for a couple of years now. Takes all the fear out of sensor cleaning.

I've just used the end of my t-shirt before now :)

however.. Eclipse (Photosol) sensor swabs.

People get far too anal about this. With gel pads and black light dust detection.. bloody hell...

Rocket blower... sensor pad... done. It's not a critical piece of electronics being installed in a military satellite... it's just a camera.

My only caveat is use the proper sensor cleaning setting on the camera.... not just holding the shutter open with "B".

Make sure your battery is fully charged (Many cameras will not let you clean until it is).

Last edited:
...the biggest risk is to your shutter... not your sensor. If the shutter blades close upon whatever device you're holding in teh way, there's a real possibility you'll take out your shutter. The sensor itself is quite robust. It's hidden behind plastic filters. You're not directly touching the sensor. Just make sure you have blown all lose particles away first.

Use common sense.

People get far too anal about this. With gel pads and black light dust detection.. bloody hell...

Rocket blower... sensor pad... done. It's not a critical piece of electronics being installed in a military satellite... it's just a camera.

My only caveat is use the proper sensor cleaning setting on the camera.... not just holding the shutter open with "B".

Make sure your battery is fully charged (Many cameras will not let you clean until it is).
Yep!! :agree:

Thanks, couple of more questions:

1. What exactly do you mean by "use the proper sensor cleaning kit"? The sensor cleaning function on these camera's works at is shut down, am I missing something else?

2. I deliberately did not mention this before so as not to complicate things but, the 550D has been modified by the removal of its IR filter for astrophotography - does this have any bearing on some of the recommendations above?

If you google for sensor cleaning kit you'll find loads. I have used these - http://www.cameraclean.co.uk/produc...leaning+Starter+Pack+with+Type+2+Sensor+Swabs I don't know if they are the best, but they work.

As mentioned above be sure the battery is fully charged.

Sorry can't help with cleaning a sensor that does not have the filter in front. I don't know if it would be any different other than being a bit more careful. I'm sure others will know.

Dave

What exactly do you mean by "use the proper sensor cleaning kit"?
Certainly not the end of a t-shirt and I recommend
no flint swabs, wet methods or alike.

New technologies (gels) are taking the stress out
of the equation and you are left with shutter control
and proper battery charge.

Thanks, couple of more questions:

1. What exactly do you mean by "use the proper sensor cleaning kit"? The sensor cleaning function on these camera's works at is shut down, am I missing something else?

2. I deliberately did not mention this before so as not to complicate things but, the 550D has been modified by the removal of its IR filter for astrophotography - does this have any bearing on some of the recommendations above?

The 'sensor clean' on start/shut-down vibrates the sensor which will remove lose dust, but stuff like pollen, or oil and soot from car exhaust, particulates from smoke machines in clubs and at gigs, will stick too hard to vibrate off. Anything hard - salt crystals, say, from the beach - could scratch if rubbed with a cloth. The reason I prefer a gel stick is that you simply push it against the senor, and when you remove it, anything on the sensor is stuck to the gel. These kits come with a sticky tape that has a higher adhesion factor than the gel, so pressing the gel on this removes the debris, leaving the gel clean for the next go at the sensor. No swabbing, no liquids, no rubbing. Best thing I've ever found for sensor cleaning.

It has a great bearing yes, and you should have said so as you may now be cleaning the bare sensor itself. In which case I would use NOTHING that WIPES the surface, and instead go with Kodiak's suggestion.

Yeah, avoid sand!
How-to-Clean-the-Sensor-on-a-Digital-SLR-Camera_0.jpg

Rocket blower followed by sensorklear pen followed by rocket blower.

Back