Sensor Cleaning

Name
Jamesev
Edit My Images
No
What does everyone do with respect to sensor cleaning. Do you wait until you notice sport on images or have them done as course of action on a regular basis (and how regularly)?

Do you do it yourself or send it off?

Clean it when it's dirty only and I've got a loupe and a wet cleaner and do it yourself! Just carefully

What does everyone do with respect to sensor cleaning. Do you wait until you notice sport on images or have them done as course of action on a regular basis (and how regularly)?

Do you do it yourself or send it off?

@KIPAX does his after every shot...

More seriously, when dust bunnies/hairs etc. get visible, they get hunted down and eradicated. By me.

Do it myself, just need to be fairly careful and take your time.
Start off with the rocket blower, might just be loose dust, then numerous methods to employ.

My first effort after the blower is with a Sensorklear pen, if that doesn't work its the swabs and solution.

Loads of other methods such as static inducing brushes, sticky pads and mini vacuum cleaners to name but a few. All have their fans, but if its stubborn the wet clean seems to be the only answer.

@KIPAX does his after every shot...

More seriously, when dust bunnies/hairs etc. get visible, they get hunted down and eradicated. By me.

Is it usual to only see sensor spots when F number is up at say 13+ rather than down at 2.8- and why would this be?

Is it usual to only see sensor spots when F number is up at say 13+ rather than down at 2.8- and why would this be?

That's because at the wider aperture (lower F number) the depth of field is thinner so the dust spots don't show up due to basically being more blurred. When you stop down the aperture they become better defined and more visible.

Yes it is, because (in my understanding) the light path through the smaller aperture makes them better defined in the same way that DoF is increased. The way I check to see if the job needs doing is to take a shot of a plain, light coloured wall with the focus set to infinity and the aperture set to as high a number as possible. The plain background shows the dark spots up, the deliberately unfocussed image disposes of any potentially misleading blobs on the wall and the narrow aperture brings the spots to my attention.

Loads of instructional videos on YouTube as well as articles elsewhere on the web. Lots of different tools to do the job as well. Easy to do yourself, if a little daunting the first few times you tackle the job!

Yes it is, because (in my understanding) the light path through the smaller aperture makes them better defined in the same way that DoF is increased. The way I check to see if the job needs doing is to take a shot of a plain, light coloured wall with the focus set to infinity and the aperture set to as high a number as possible. The plain background shows the dark spots up, the deliberately unfocussed image disposes of any potentially misleading blobs on the wall and the narrow aperture brings the spots to my attention.

Loads of instructional videos on YouTube as well as articles elsewhere on the web. Lots of different tools to do the job as well. Easy to do yourself, if a little daunting the first few times you tackle the job!

Thanks so much for all of your advice on this.

Yes it is especially daunting as I have heard of people trying to do it and ending up scratching sensors and the manufacturers say that the expensive part of the camera is the sensor and can be £1500+ for a replacement eekkkk

Yes it is, because (in my understanding) the light path through the smaller aperture makes them better defined in the same way that DoF is increased.
I can't quite get my head around whether or not it's the same mechanism that affects depth of field. The way i find easiest to visualise it is that you're effectively seeing the shadows of the dust spots which are cast onto the sensor. With a small aperture the light source is small and concentrated, so the shadows are dark and well-defined (like being out on a sunny day); with a large aperture the light source is large and diffuse, so the shadows are less obvious (like being out on a bright but hazy day).
The way I check to see if the job needs doing is to take a shot of a plain, light coloured wall with the focus set to infinity and the aperture set to as high a number as possible. The plain background shows the dark spots up, the deliberately unfocussed image disposes of any potentially misleading blobs on the wall and the narrow aperture brings the spots to my attention.
Absolutely, spot on. (See what I did there?)
:coat:

Absolutely, spot on. (See what I did there?)
:coat:
I think you need to take some time to reflect on what you just did. :D

Gotta love a pun thats soooo bad it actually goes all the way through bad and out the other side it becomes sooooo good. <--- the rules on punmanship

What ever you do do it carefully! Go at it gung-ho and yes you will

Last year I was really scared to even think about cleaning my 1100D and 70D sensor. It is the Fear factor that stops folk from doing it, as has been said watch the videos on how to do it and you will be fine. I only ever clean mine now if the dust shows up a lot, but I don`t shoot above F/8.

I use one of those eyelead gel sticks, used it about 3 times now, no problems, and it does a great job :) Just make sure the environment you're doing it in is clean and not dusty - a clean kitchen is ideal... and invest in an illuminated sensor loupe :)

I have being meaning to do this for a while as there were marks visible on my sensor. I have a Micro four thirds sensor. After looking at the price of some of these cleaning swabs and doubting the quality of the cheaper ones on amazon/ebay, I decided to try my own method based on some methods I read about online.

First I took an old credit card

Second I cut a 10mm strip off the length of the card, avoiding the curved corners of it to make sure I had contact right into the edge of the sensor.

Then I folded in half a clean, good quality spectacles cleaning cloth to double its thickness and then wrapped it round the end of the strip of credit card.

Finally I applied one drop of Rosco Lens Cleaning fluid to the Sensor and wiped it several times with the wrapped up credit card.

It didn't even need a separate drying wipe, the sensor appears completely clean to my eyes now. It took seconds, cost nothing and appears to have worked perfectly.

Obviously do this at your own risk if you do and be careful.

I'm sure a sports tog on here once said he cleaned his with a wet earbud....Wet from saliva no less.........

If you live anywhere near Southampton you can go here and get a free clean if its Canon or Nikon.

Back