Sensor Cleaning

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
I'm bewildered at the diversity of Sensor Cleaning Kits on the market. Having tried several 'professional' cleans at 40 quid a throw and found spots left, I've decided to have a go myself.

The thing is, I'm a little nervous of sticking pads, swabs and the like inside my cameras. Are there any particular devices that anybody would recommend? I'd hate to buy the wrong one and turn my spots into smudges!

Any advice would be appreciated!

today i just blow in mine gently, i only had a few specs of dust show up ***.

but im thinking im keeping my lens on all the time. untill i get new lens now.

I'm bewildered at the diversity of Sensor Cleaning Kits on the market. Having tried several 'professional' cleans at 40 quid a throw and found spots left, I've decided to have a go myself.

The thing is, I'm a little nervous of sticking pads, swabs and the like inside my cameras. Are there any particular devices that anybody would recommend? I'd hate to buy the wrong one and turn my spots into smudges!

Any advice would be appreciated!

I'm in the same boat.. mine desperately needs cleaning but am too scared to try it :shrug:

if you do a search on the forum there's loads about sensor cleaing and some good instructions to. I use a SensorKlear and Artic butterfly.

I was in the same boat up until recently...read up on pretty much all the options and decided to go for the arctic butterfly 724..I also ordered the sensor loupe at the same time..must say very very impressed with it and the sensor loupe is well worth the additional cost imo as you can clearly see where the dust is on the sensor..Well worth the money when you considor how much a pro clean is..and like you say even then it can come back with dust still in there..

I found sensorklear with a Giotto blower to be best for my old 350D. Dust-aid and Pecpads left crud on my filter.

7dayshop are selling them on offer at the mo along with lenspens.

Hope that helps.

another vote for sensorklear pen. does take a few goes but well worth it!

The problem you will find is not all dust is dust, some maybe graphite grease blown onto your sensor by over exuberant use of a rocket blower, some maybe condensation blobs from your last visit to the Botanical gardens and you let your camera mist up(y)

I know that sensor cleaning is easy, I do my own, however you'll be surprised at how much pressure you have to use, to clean away stubborn marks(y)

Rocket Blower is all you should need, I've done a few cleans, but nowadays I find keeping the rear lens caps dust free, and the rear elements dust free tackles 99% of dust problems at source.

Rocket Blower is all you should need, I've done a few cleans, but nowadays I find keeping the rear lens caps dust free, and the rear elements dust free tackles 99% of dust problems at source.

Dust blower wouldn't shift it from mine and tbh I find all they do is blow it to another area..:LOL:

I bought an Arctic Butterfly a few weeks ago for my Canon 5D. I'd resisted using it until today - some shots I did with the sky in the background showed telltale spots...

Having read some horror stories about people getting oil on the brush and smearing it over the sensor, I was very careful to keep away from the edges. In the event, the AB did a good job. You'll never get every dust spot off with it, but I got rid of the larger ones and a tiny hair :) Camera is now usable again!

One comment I have with cleaning the full-frame sensor on the 5D is that the edges are more-or-less flush with the sides of the mirror chamber. This makes using swaps and fluid difficult, in that it's hard to clean right to the edges. I gave the swabs a go, and whilst they got the centre area nice and clean, I ended up with some spots at one edge, where I had to lift the swab away from the surface. I had to use the AB brush to get rid of them!

I figure that the AB will keep the worst of the dust off the sensor. If there's anything that the AB can't handle, I'll put the camera in for a spring clean at a service centre.

A.

There are a lot of sensor cleaning options and only you can decide what is best for your camera and technical ability.

What I do is detailed here. If you work cleanly it is very safe and in my experience completely effective.

MM - I have read reports of Oly sensors needing cleaning even though they have a built in shake it clean system so don't feel too smug ;)

MM - I have read reports of Oly sensors needing cleaning even though they have a built in shake it clean system so don't feel too smug ;)
Have had my Oly kit for over a year Rob and it has never needed a clean. Also, I have never read any reports either about Oly sensors needing cleaning, so... after all the crit Oly regularly gets from several Canikon fanboys on here, I will feel smug, thanks... :)(y)

Back