Sent someone else’s insurance paperwork!

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I’ve just made some changes to my car insurance policy, and received the new documents accordingly in the post.
However, stapled to my own documents are those of another person, in this case a local business having made some changes of their own.

Key info includes their business name and address, vehicles covered (inc registration numbers) and named drivers.

I obviously shouldn’t have been sent this, as I’ve never heard of the company let alone been involved in any way! Is this something that, in this new era of GDPR, ought to be reported to ICO as a data breach? Or kept relatively low-key by phoning the insurer to notify them directly, allowing them to rectify the issue?

I’ve just made some changes to my car insurance policy, and received the new documents accordingly in the post.
However, stapled to my own documents are those of another person, in this case a local business having made some changes of their own.

Key info includes their business name and address, vehicles covered (inc registration numbers) and named drivers.

I obviously shouldn’t have been sent this, as I’ve never heard of the company let alone been involved in any way! Is this something that, in this new era of GDPR, ought to be reported to ICO as a data breach? Or kept relatively low-key by phoning the insurer to notify them directly, allowing them to rectify the issue?

Just shred them or post them on :rolleyes:

Surely the business name and address are in the public domain anyway and who gives a s*** who insures their vehicles.

Do you really feel the need to report something like this?

Last edited:
Just shred them or post them on :rolleyes:

Surely the business name and address are in the public domain anyway and who gives a s*** who insures their vehicles.

Do you really feel the need to report something like this?
This
Don't make of it more than it needs to be

Do the insurance company for everything they own as ransom for not telling the GDPR police!!!

Ooorrrr just forward it on as above.

Not trying to come across snitchy at all - just asking for thoughts on it given the new guidelines and so on! My initial feeling was to keep it low-key, glad people agree ;)

A data breach is large scale harvesting of people's personal data for illicit purposes. This is just a lowly, probably poorly paid minion making a human error. Report it and the best you can expect is for that same person to get a major ear bending, and possibly worse.

I had a similar scenario yesterday, only in my case, the person concerned has actually insured and registered the vehicle at my address, presumably because it means a cheaper premium.

A data breach is large scale harvesting of people's personal data for illicit purposes. This is just a lowly, probably poorly paid minion making a human error. Report it and the best you can expect is for that same person to get a major ear bending, and possibly worse.

I had a similar scenario yesterday, only in my case, the person concerned has actually insured and registered the vehicle at my address, presumably because it means a cheaper premium.
Not really similar at all.
Forget GDPR and data breaches.
That's actual insurance fraud.

IMO no different to the sig disclaimer that business emails typically(?) have.

'If you have received this communication in error please delete it and tell us that you have received it' Or words along those lines.....................as for whether the incorrect recipient should/would need to notify any third party under GDPR rules I doubt.

But one thing I think I recall from my online GDPR learning course was that "organisations" as part of GDPR must have reporting structures in place that once they know of a breech in their processes they record it and depending on the level of breech must report it themselves to the higher level officer (both internally & externally where required)

Yeah, it's been reported as such to both the insurance company and the police. Not that I expect a great deal to happen, as it seems to be a pretty common practice these days.

Back