Series of Portraits

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No

Close and tight cool renditions, Dan!
My pick is #5… maybe the hat? :cool:

Last edited:
have you tried with the person not looking direct at the camera when the head is slightly turned? just a thought

Last edited:
As I said just a thought, looking into the distance over your shoulder, maybe would add more character/expression .
At least you have not chopped off the top of the head/hair which seems to be the trend nowadays. Something I don't like I have to say

Last edited:
I guess with experience I'll figure out when to take a photo looking at the camera and when not, through practice of each

and when presenting a series of similar photos how to make them the same but different :D

As I said just a thought, looking into the distance over your shoulder, maybe would add more character/expression .
At least you have not chopped off the top of the head/hair which seems to be the trend nowadays. Something I don't like I have to say

and thanks, I will try it :)

it's not like I've not taken many photos like that before with my wife and wedding shots, it's just I will concentrate more on doing so. I suppose the difference being I want to work towards more emotionally powerful single portraits.

Last edited:
I suppose the difference being I want to work towards more emotionally powerful single portraits.

Most important, the emotion, their character, their face, their eyes. There does not always need to be a story in a flik, just a striking insight into his/her faculties.

Just like the cool fella with the hat. He's not unlike a model ... the only one not smiling ..... perfect.

You are still young, but your will to learn is quite amazing.

Those are quality

Those have a very distinctive look for sure but does distinctive = quality?

Not in this portfolio IMO. They are distinctive in showing in a given way,
with a chosen light aiming at a certain approach that render, all together,
flat, harsh, highly specular and unflattering portraits. In terms of artistic
intent, it is an other way to do it with some famous people but in no way
close to quality portraits… as I understand it.

I much prefer Dan's work and approach in this case. :cool:

I'd guessed that was where you were coming from.

The quality - of yours - is undeniable - but I wonder why you've chosen such a shallow DoF & unflattering focal length?

Because I'm still a newb and like shallow dof portraits, oh and I wanted to get close and personal - I'll definitely try stopping down and perhaps it shall change my mind!

It's a 71mm equivalent lens and I have no other lens for this camera - but as it's 50MP I could take it from further away and crop if necessary, may not even need to stop down as DOF will be less shallow

When released I Shall consider the 135mm 2.8 which equates to 107mm FF

Last edited:
Because I'm still a newb and like shallow dof portraits, oh and I wanted to get close and personal - I'll definitely try stopping down and perhaps it shall change my mind!

It's a 71mm equivalent lens and I have no other lens for this camera - but as it's 50MP I could take it from further away and crop if necessary, may not even need to stop down as DOF will be less shallow

When released I Shall consider the 135mm 2.8 which equates to 107mm FF

Fair enough! What's the camera?

Good work (y) though the DOF is a bit shallow in some.

and thanks, I will try it :)

it's not like I've not taken many photos like that before with my wife and wedding shots, it's just I will concentrate more on doing so. I suppose the difference being I want to work towards more emotionally powerful single portraits.

for more male emotional facial expressions, kick him in the n*ts first.

Last edited:
Nice work Dan, although shame about the weirdo in #1 ;) :p

Back