Serif Photoplus X4

Name
Charlie
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey Guys,

Looking into getting some new image editing software. At the moment I just use GIMP, basically because its free. So for me photoshop is too expensive, Serif's Photoplus X4 seems to be well reviewed and is reasonably priced. Anyone used it? Or have any experience of it?

Thanks, Charlie.

Hi chaz,

Not used it a great deal, my farther has it and on the odd occasion I have used it. It would appear to be a PhotoShop wanna be, I found the UI to be good and with time I'm sure I could use it to gain almost everything I can do in cs4, in a short summing up it's a "poor man's photoshop". It did not cost him much, I would say go for it if PhotoShop is not in your budget or if you would like to start off with a less complicated program.

Photoplus seems to be in the same price bracket at Photoshop Elements, which is an excellent program. I've not used Photoplus so I'm not able to comment, however do have a look a Elements. You can download a trial version from the Adobe web site

Having said that looking at the spec of Photoplus it does look an excellent program as it supports RAW, 16 bit editing and lets you do HDR ( should you want to) . Pity they don't seem to do a trial version

Thanks for the replies, it seems to be at a really reasonable price seeing as I already use some of their stuff and can get it for £40. Will it be a big improvement over GIMP?

its not bad, but it is a bit slow compared to elements and photoshop, though for the price, I dont think you can complain. I did do a little review of X3 it, its here

Thats a good review of X3, thanks. Im very tempted for the price of £40, but will I see a great difference from GIMP?

ive never used Gimp, so its hard to say!

Back