Serious Jem

Firstly, it's a great example of split lighting.
But I'm confused by the phrase 'best I could do with what I had'.

There's hundreds of different shots you could have got with a single light, that phrase smacks of 'I'm happy with it and my gear limits me' :rolleyes:

If you were aiming for split lighting, good work, if you were aiming for attractive, you could have done much more with a single light IMHO.

To give a true crit I'd want to know:
What modifiers do you own and what were you aiming for?

This portrait convinces me that you can use your
limited gear quite well and that your model is an

attractive subject.

Your next steps…
  • explore reflective surfaces and diffusers
  • direct your model to optimize your common
    quest for beauty, for the better image through
    proper lighting supporting your aim.

Firstly, it's a great example of split lighting.
But I'm confused by the phrase 'best I could do with what I had'.

There's hundreds of different shots you could have got with a single light, that phrase smacks of 'I'm happy with it and my gear limits me' :rolleyes:

If you were aiming for split lighting, good work, if you were aiming for attractive, you could have done much more with a single light IMHO.

To give a true crit I'd want to know:
What modifiers do you own and what were you aiming for?

To be honest I'm not sure what a modifier is?
I guess I was aiming for split lighting.... just didn't know it was called that. And no...I know the equipment will never be what's limiting me... it is my knowledge... but I was happy with it as it was my first attempt with off camera flash.
Since it was taken I have viewed a few U tube videos and bought an umbrella, a reflector and another flash but have not found a mode/opportunity l to shoot....

Thanks for the feedback... any further tips would be useful.

It's really not at all bad for a first attempt.

When I started I made the mistake of going for drama and demanding lighting setups too. I'd encourage you to start simple - and try to recreate flattering, natural looking light first. Unnatural light is easy; natural looking flattering light isn't too hard but unnatural flattering light is tricky.

The easiest way to do the former is to bounce the flash off a white wall to the side of and slightly above and in front of your subject - possibly flagging the flash so no light hits your subject direct from it.

Last edited:
Useful tip....many thanks. Yes I think I will try to keep it simpler in future and understand the dynamics of the lighting.....thanks. very helpful.....

To be honest I'm not sure what a modifier is?
I guess I was aiming for split lighting.... just didn't know it was called that. And no...I know the equipment will never be what's limiting me... it is my knowledge... but I was happy with it as it was my first attempt with off camera flash.
Since it was taken I have viewed a few U tube videos and bought an umbrella, a reflector and another flash but have not found a mode/opportunity l to shoot....

Thanks for the feedback... any further tips would be useful.
Sorry
A 'modifier' is something you'd use with a light source to change its shape intensity, shadow fall off etc. Usually starts with umbrellas and soft boxes, moving to beauty dishes, snoots, grids, strip boxes etc.
I can see you're now on your way with that and look forward to seeing more.

As Simon said, it's a common 'mistake' to start with the difficult stuff. At least you avoided the 'white background' debate.

Oh ok....what is the white background mistake.....?

Might have done it already....☹

80% of folk who want to get into lit portraiture start off by wanting to create a white background. To do it well takes more lights and more precision than you might imagine - and even then the results often don't look as good as they would have using a different background, e.g. grey.

You did ;)
As Simon said, it's often what people want to start with and it's the most challenging thing to do well, particularly in a small space.

One of the difficulties is getting a clean white background that doesnt then reflect light back on the subject eating into edges, or into the lens causing flare and reducing contrast ;)

I'm sure you can imagine what the results would look like ;)

Back