Server software, what y'all using?

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm currently using WHS 2011 but it's not been updated in years so might be time to move on?

My dedicated server in France is running windows server 2019, but I need a windows server for my application And I happened to have a licence for it. I’d have been happy with WS 2012 R2.
Depends entirely what you need and are using it for.
Mine runs several MySQL databases, and several instances of Dayz Standalone and Dayz Mod.
Hoping to put my email sever on there too when I get time, to consolidate, as I’m spending £5.99 on web and email hosting too, which I don’t really need to be doing.

I just use it for image and document back up, I can also access it from anywhere online if I need an image when I'm not at home.

I just use it for image and document back up, I can also access it from anywhere online if I need an image when I'm not at home.
With no security updates in several years, I would get it off the public internet sooner rather than later.

Is it internet facing, or on a closed LAN?

Most of the time it's just on for backups, non internet but if I'm away for a few days I leave it on so it is live to the internet. It was fine 10 years ago when backup software was limited and cloud backup was a fortune, but I'm at the stage I could get by with a WD My Cloud type option and sell the server.
I just wondered if there was any other simple software available?

I just use a 4 Bay NAS for exactly what you are using the server for, can access it any time any where as long as it is on. A NAS will use a lot less power than a dedicated server as well.

Have a look at XigmaNAS dedicated NAS software. It should run well enough on anything that can handle WHS. But it will overwrite the disks so you will need a backup of your data.
If you do go for a ready-built NAS then the only makes you should consider are Asustor, QNAP & Synology.

Do people even use servers anymore? AWS makes life a whole lot easier.

Back