Set up for Video

Name
Omar
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
Bit of background: I have only had a DSLR about 2 months, familiar with relationship with iso/aperature/ss.

Messed about with the video recording function a little. Videos came out good quality. Im using a Canon EOS 550d.
Few questions ponder through my head, when it comes to using the video recording function when is it best to use the DSLR for this and when not?

Like fast moving objects would be hard to have on the screen and focus perfect on them as well. Thats what i find difficult, someone even walking to and from one side of a room and the focus just keeps dropping. This i take it has to do with the depth of field, so would i have to step the aperature up to something alot narrower like f20?

Any other tips/even things to know, what to do, what not to do etc? Any advice from this forum is always appreciated.

from my very limited knoweldge (purely from reading up on this subject) it seems that auto focus isn't great for video and most people focus manually. If you haven't already have a read of the other threads on the board.

Will do the reading up. Thats what i thought and did the first time round, manually focus. I take it its stupid having a very small depth of field, as this will mean the subject will need to be very still to stay in focus?

Any experienced members welcomed to advise.

Yeah manual focus is a must, pretty much. I use fairly big apertures, but i mainly shoot quite still things like interviews. If you're having trouble with focus do stop up the aperture but be sure that your shutter speed is at least twice your frame rate (fps) to avoid rolling shutter (blurring between frames).

Will do the reading up. Thats what i thought and did the first time round, manually focus. I take it its stupid having a very small depth of field, as this will mean the subject will need to be very still to stay in focus?

Any experienced members welcomed to advise.

bang on correct.

Lots of example videos are shot at f1.8, or wider, and the focussing is either done by an experienced focus puller with lots of money's worth of cogs and gears attached to the lens.... or almost without exception, it looks pants :p

Sit at f5.6 and you can get some dead nice video though without being a hollywood focus puller...

Back