Setting up a home studio

Mine have no fans, could somebody take a pic for me to see?

bummer mate. ill take a pic the best i can.

I've sent an email to the peeps I got them from, awaiting a reply :shrug:

Heres some pics of the D-Lites - (again i did all this already this AM...)

D-Lite%204's.jpg

D-Lite%204's_1.jpg

The Circular Vent Underneath is were the fan is.
D-Lite%204's_4.jpg

D-Lite%204's_11.jpg

And for DigitalFailure some shots of the setup

D-Lite%204's_5.jpg

D-Lite%204's_7.jpg

D-Lite%204's_6.jpg

D-Lite%204's_9.jpg

D-Lite%204's_8.jpg

Well the flash centre responded to my query regards the D-Lites and the fans..........

"Yes the new DLites are being launched at focus and do have fan cooling.
Although these are not as robust as the FX/BX & RX range and still have a therma cut out for when they overheat.

The FX , BX & RX are more robust and durable.

Thanks

TFC LOndon"

Whatever you buy make sure servicing will not be an issue. I bought Bowens primarily because servicing is easy (made in UK) Other makes may be more attractive but harder to have serviced. Unlike cameras studio lights do blow bulbs and tubes etc and generally tend to need more servicing, and if this can be done locally so much the better.

Do you really need to "send out for [blimming expensive] service" to replace a blown bulb or tube?

did well with my d lites then :)thumbs: to talisman) lucky rather than in the know!! the bulbs in the d lites are user changeable as well.

glad we got the d lites fancooled sorted out now though!! was starting to think it about to blow up!!

For some units yes as they are internal connections in a sealed unit.

It is something to be very wary of.

Yup! It's called 'lock-in'. A favorite corporate pastime. Micro$haft leads the pack.

One reason I got the Elinchrom BX400s was that the tube and modelling lights are user replaceable. I'm sure the D-Lites are the same.

yup the D-Lites are user changeable. In fact you have to put the modeling bulb in when you receive them.
Id recomend getting a spare bulbs, flash tube and some spare fuses on standby. (just in case)

.....boy scout in me im afraid....

Yes I need to buy some spares as to date I've not bothered. I have 3 lights but rarely use them all - space constraints.

yup the D-Lites are user changeable. In fact you have to put the modeling bulb in when you receive them.
Id recomend getting a spare bulbs, flash tube and some spare fuses on standby. (just in case)

.....boy scout in me im afraid....

Flash tube is a little overkill, as they tend to last many years, and replacement tubes can cost over £100 each for some makes (did not check what they cost for the D-lites). I tend to blow fuses quite often (Bowens) but then that is the power in my house as I have burnt out 3 PSUs in my Desktop in the last two years.

Modeling lamps are generally quite durable too, and for some makes (my Bowens experience again) you can put in a standard house bulb as a modeling lamp in an emergency.

I have heard from a dealer that Elinchrom have modified the D-Lite 4 with a cooling fan. They are apparently selling off the ones without the fan on special offers ie aroung £430 including vat. Some dealers are waiting for the modified versions and I think they will be about £50 dearer. Unless you are pro and have the modelling lights on for many hours at a time I dont think it will be a problem without the fan especially if you are using reduced power.

I've sent an email to the peeps I got them from, awaiting a reply :shrug:

Well I got some news, I spoke to the people I got my lights from asking if they did the new versions with the fans. He said he would be expecting them end of Feb, and they are about 5% more money. Got an email on Friday, saying that I can swop my old lights for the new version and they will only charge me the carriage £10. Firstly what a result and also a big hats off to the place where I got them from as what they have done is above and beyond the call. First class service. (y)

Back