Settings for sports photography

Name
Ciaran
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, going back a fair while, I recall someone posting great and detailed advice for the best settings for sports photraphy, ie football etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

there was an article.. the person who wrote it had a hissy fit and deleted it...

If it contains the phrase (500 shutter speed) then you can pretty much ignore it anyways :) as the above mentioned one did

PS there isn't a setting for sports as all sports are different ..

There's no 'best' settings, it depends on the sport, the lighting, the level of the game etc etc. For football, its not just about the settings, its also about the viewpoint and the 'decisive moment' which is a skill you learn as you do more. Post some of your efforts.

There's no 'best' settings, it depends on the sport, the lighting, the level of the game etc etc. For football, its not just about the settings, its also about the viewpoint and the 'decisive moment' which is a skill you learn as you do more. Post some of your efforts.
Indeed, Something like Darts and boxing would be very different to motorsport.

Well it's 11 days since you nudged this looking for an answer so this is probably falling on deaf ears but..

There might not be a settings but there is a concept for most sports (not panning) and thats to achieve the fastest shutter speed you can.... Fast lens and high iso would be needed in low light.. never be afraid to up the iso and have noise... noise can be fixed.. blurred pics not so much :)

It really depends on what sort of image your trying to achieve. I purely do motorsports photography, so my settings might differ from yours required for football. My shutter speeds range from 1/5th second to 1600th second. There is no perfect setting,it depends are you after a panning shot or a static shot? If your after a panning shot do you want a parralel pan? 3/4 pan ? 1/4 pan? Do you want the whole car in focus for the pan or just part of it? If your doing a static shot, you need to decide if the wheels are visible then you want to use a shutter speed around 125th to 300th to get some wheel blur. If you can't see the wheels then a higher shutter speed you can use. All these settings also depends upon the lighting conditions too. There's so many variables there isn't a one size fits all answer to your question.

I expect this post will be of no or very little help to you but I will post anyway.
I shoot football, rugby and cricket.
Shutter speed can be anything from 1/800 - 1/3200
Aperture from 2.8, 3.2, 3.5 or 4.0 rarely any different.
ISO from 100 - 10,000 or auto when dealing with sun behind moving clouds or when you have a tall stand creating a shadow over some of the pitch.

In a nutshell, there is no starting set up, I'm afraid. It depends on the conditions when you start. One thing I can guarantee is you will be changing settings during the match 99% of the time.

Good luck. :)

Back