Beginner Settings

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone have a Canon EOS 2000D ? What are the best settings for portraits can you suggest?

It doesn't matter what camera you have, it's the lens, the lighting and the person taking the photo that matters

Does anyone have a Canon EOS 2000D ? What are the best settings for portraits can you suggest?

Ive just read your intro and you say you're making a name for yourself in Photography (

My name is Matt, and I'm just starting to make a name for myself as a photographer.)

( and you ask such a basic question, I don't get that

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sky
Photography isn't about 'settings'. You can't just take someone else's settings and use them to get the same results in any more than just a fraction of cases as it will depend on so many different factors.

Once you know how to take a picture manually (by learning the basics like the exposure triangle), you can then use the semi-automatic functions to make life easier for yourself. If you try by just using the auto functions, you'll never really understand what you're doing and it will be the camera that is taking the picture and not you.

To answer your question; you can take a portrait by using any settings you want providing the exposure is correct, you'll have a portrait. Whether it looks the way you want it to or not depends on how much you've learned from your study and what result you're trying to achieve.

Getting to grips with photography is dependent on a) visual skill (seeing composition and light), b) learning how to manipulate the camera to capture that (as fundamental and simple as learning to hold a paintbrush).

The next important thing c) is your understanding of your subject. You can be the best wildlife photographer in the world and be unable to capture a decent landscape image. So to become a great portrait photographer, you need to learn about people, to like people, to engage (or not, if that's your style).

'Settings' are just a tool to deal with the amount of light you have, and how you want to record your subject, just part of holding the paintbrush. And the longer photographers spend thinking settings are important, the more they're holding themselves back from the other more important things.

Outdoors or indoors?

Outdoors try not to have direct sunlight in your settings.
Indoors, pay close attention to the lighting and what is behind the subject of the portrait.

whatever setting complements the subject best...

Back