Sex on a stick...I mean Tornado GR4...ehem

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Has to be my most favourite aircraft to photograph. Unfortunately these will soom be a rare sight as most of them will be replaced with the Typhoon in only two years.

Mark

TonkaGR4.jpg

"Sex on a stick...I mean Tornado GR4...ehem"

Tissues anyone? ;).

Great picture Mark
The Tornado F3 is the one being fazed out... the GR4 is hopefully going to be around for a long time yet

Chris

Hi Chris,

No mate unfortunately the GR4 will be going a lot sooner than first thought. There's a few GR4 crew's that are a little worried at the mo. It was first thought that it would be between 5 and 10 years but unfortunately this isn't the case :crying:

Cheers for the comments.

Mark

Superb Mark :clap:
Rumours around Warton that the GR4's were going to get an upgrade. Maybe more Military cutbacks have binned that Idea?

Hi Neil,

Don't know mate, only going on what I've been told. I'm sure there will be a few squadrons around but a lot will be gone. I'd heard the Harrier would go before the GR4 but I think it'll be the other way around. Imagine a loop with no Tornado's, only a matter of time.

Mark

.... Unfortunately these will soom be a rare sight as most of them will be replaced with the Typhoon in only two years....

The very same sentiment I had when the UK F4 fleet was being replaced with the F3s.

Lovely pic btw (y) My only thought when looking at it is that it 'might' balance better if it was rotated a few degrees ACW to have the pitot-probe meeting the very corner of the frame...

wow that is pin sharp! amazed that you can get so close up on these fast moving planes.

phillip, are they lancaster bombers? great image also, especially if its an original

Great image Mark....will be sad indeed if the GR4's do retire early, not seen to many round the loop but they are my favourites.

wow that is pin sharp! amazed that you can get so close up on these fast moving planes.

phillip, are they lancaster bombers? great image also, especially if its an original
Lancasters yes but plastic models shot in the studio with a painted sky on 10x8 film with a 121mm lens (ultra wide for a 10x8);)

When the JSF replaces the majority of the worlds fighting force, a very boring airshow is to be had....long live the Tornado.......

Truly amazing shot - you must be very proud of that one.

very envious of this shot, great detail, very sharp. but i'd like to see the end of the pointy bit in the shot.

great picture.

as for the Tornados being no more - I think they will be around for a little while yet. We contract to the MoD for military avionic applications. We are fitting new Digital Video Records to the entire German and Italian Tonrado fleet. This will be followed by Saudi and then the UK. I doubt the would be considering spending loads of money on this upgrade if they were getting rid...

great picture.

as for the Tornados being no more - I think they will be around for a little while yet. We contract to the MoD for military avionic applications. We are fitting new Digital Video Records to the entire German and Italian Tonrado fleet. This will be followed by Saudi and then the UK. I doubt the would be considering spending loads of money on this upgrade if they were getting rid...

Whilst their in service they will always be upgraded and used as a test bed for other countries that have them. Time will tell ;)

Don't want this thread to be turned into a debate regarding the future of the GR4 though so lets not go off topic.

Cheers for the comments (y)

Mark

Top notch (y)

Awesome shot of the aircraft that it still up there as my favourite ever.

i think every thing has been said about this picture so all i can say is bloody fantastic and i am sat here going green:D

Pin sharp! GR4 is a stonking aircraft

Colin

Back