Shallow dof on crop

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I've been trying to expand my photography recently, and have been playing with shallow dof.

I have a 60d with the 17-55 2.8 lens. At the long end shooting at 2.8 I can get reasonably shallow dof but at the slightly wider end I have to get really close to the subject.

I was thinking of buying the sigma 35 1.4 art. Is the extra 2 stops enough to help achieve that nice background separation I see on people's photos, or does this need full frame?

Thanks

If looking at FF pictures just apply the crop factor when trying to decide if you can get close with APS-C.

A 35mm f1.4 on your 60D would be pretty similar to a 55mm lens at f2.2 on FF but you could certainly get a shallow DoF look by using a longer lens like a 50 or 85mm f1.4 on your 60D and/or reducing your camera to subject distance.

Also keep in mind that shallow DoF can maybe be done to death.

Here's a nice read...

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2012/06/in-defense-of-depth.html

I know that thin v more DoF is a different discussion from how to get shallow DoF but I thought I'd mention it anyway :D

Try this blur simulator https://dofsimulator.net/en/

The DoF difference between crop format and APS-C is a bit more than one stop. If the crop factor was 1.4x, it would be exactly one stop. For shallow DoF, apart from larger formats and low f/numbers, longer focal length increases blur substantially, along with getting close to the main subject to really fill the frame while maximising distance to the background.

Thanks Woof. Indeed the article is a good read.

I think it's just something I wanted to have a play with and add to the repertoire. Just didn't want to splash out on a fast lens if its not going to help with achieving the effect I want.

Felt 50mm is a bit long on the crop so I wondered if anyone had experience of the fast 35mm on a crop

I think it's just something I wanted to have a play with and add to the repertoire. Just didn't want to splash out on a fast lens if its not going to help with achieving the effect I want.

Felt 50mm is a bit long on the crop so I wondered if anyone had experience of the fast 35mm on a crop

Years ago I had a Sigma 30mm f1.4 which I used on my APS-C Canon 20D. I was very happy with that lens and it gave shallow enough DoF for me.

This should give you enough of an idea, its the ART on crop sensor. Check the exif details in the images.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?group_id=2064616@N24&view_all=1&text=apsc

Try 85mm or 100mm primes. Longer lenses have far greater defocusing effects.

35mm gets a little bit interesting but really it is just a very low light fast medium-wideangle lifestyle / street lens.

Back