Shameless self promotion - a few pictures published in a mag

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
I'm not sure if anyone is a member of the SWPP or other organisations under their umbrella, but I've had a few of my industrial landscape / urbex pictures published in the current edition. Well, 12 pages worth actually. While I'm not a member of the SWPP, and I'm not going to engage in any discussion about them, their magazine seems well put together and printed very nicely, so it was nice to be approached to appear in it.

There's a pdf on my website here http://www.theviewfromthenorth.org/files/4565/professionalimagemakerarticle.pdf , but here's a few snaps of the mag:

DSCF2364.jpgDSCF2365.jpgDSCF2366.jpg

I saw viewfromthenorth.org got a mention in this month's free monthly 'Local Life' magazine. I didn't realise you were a group!

Mind you, the article stated that the mill in my village is still standing. Houses started being built on the site in 2014. :LOL:

I saw viewfromthenorth.org got a mention in this month's free monthly 'Local Life' magazine. I didn't realise you were a group!

Mind you, the article stated that the mill in my village is still standing. Houses started being built on the site in 2014. :LOL:

Yes, the .org thing is a long, boring story.....

Which Local Life mag was the website mentioned in? I got the Chorley edition through last night and although there's a feature on local mills, I didn't see any mention.

Which Local Life mag was the website mentioned in? I got the Chorley edition through last night and although there's a feature on local mills, I didn't see any mention.
Mine's the West Lancs edition, but I guess the article is the same one. Page 29, near the end of the first column.

Mine's the West Lancs edition, but I guess the article is the same one. Page 29, near the end of the first column.

Ours must be slightly different then, it's on pages 25-28 and I can't see anything. Mainly focuses on Botany Bay, which I didn't realise had shut, despite it only being 10 minutes away!

Ours must be slightly different then, it's on pages 25-28 and I can't see anything. Mainly focuses on Botany Bay, which I didn't realise had shut, despite it only being 10 minutes away!
Ah. This one's mostly about the history of Ainscough's mills - Parbold and Burscough. Mentions' your visit to Burscough in 2007. They must tailor stuff to suit each edition's area.

Excellent spread, great pictures and delightfully written. Photographically, you've brought a very sympathetic visual style that fits the subject perfectly, so well done to SWPP for spotting good work and for publishing a non-members work. (I was ignorant of who SWPP was btw) As an ex-northerner (actually, the North can never really be fully extracted) and one who remembers the all the black satanic mills during the late sixties, it was a pleasure to see this article. Thanks for posting!

Well done to you must be great to see your work published

Yes, it’s been a couple of year since I last had work published, but for an amateur like me it’s always nice!

The "dark satanic mills" of William Blake - some excellent photos there, dark and brooding.

Thank you, dark and brooding is probably the most succinct way of describing my work I’ve heard, I’ll use that one myself!

Excellent spread, great pictures and delightfully written. Photographically, you've brought a very sympathetic visual style that fits the subject perfectly, so well done to SWPP for spotting good work and for publishing a non-members work. (I was ignorant of who SWPP was btw) As an ex-northerner (actually, the North can never really be fully extracted) and one who remembers the all the black satanic mills during the late sixties, it was a pleasure to see this article. Thanks for posting!

Thank you - I wasn’t around in the 60’s and so many of the mills have been (and continue to be) demolished that finding an interesting viewpoint is harder work than you may imagine. It’s too easy to fall into visual cliche, something I’m painfully aware of. Fortunately I’m doing this for my own enjoyment so I don’t have to worry about what critics think.

Nice one, GG! It's great to see your work recognized and published. I won a competition years ago and the image was printed in a few local rags and also in the Metro magazine, felt famous for a day at least :D

Nice one, GG! It's great to see your work recognized and published. I won a competition years ago and the image was printed in a few local rags and also in the Metro magazine, felt famous for a day at least :D

Ha, yes I got commissioned to do some work for O2 a while back and that hit the local and national press which was interesting!

Smashing body of work! I've just ordered a copy of 'View From ...'.

The images don't just look well-produced, they are so evocative of place and time and the nature of the industrial North. I know that it's impractical but I feel that mills should all be grade 1 listed like cathedrals and preserved for ever. I feel somewhat the same about field barns in the Dales, many of which are falling in - it seems that a relaxation of planning rules has allowed more away from settlements to be converted to dwellings, but conversion radically changes their nature and they no longer feel like barns ...

Here are some images of Manchester that might be of interest from a Norwegian mate of mine who was studying photography at Manchester Art College in the late 60's -
https://www.100norwegianphotographers.no/paul-rene-roestad

Smashing body of work! I've just ordered a copy of 'View From ...'.

The images don't just look well-produced, they are so evocative of place and time and the nature of the industrial North. I know that it's impractical but I feel that mills should all be grade 1 listed like cathedrals and preserved for ever. I feel somewhat the same about field barns in the Dales, many of which are falling in - it seems that a relaxation of planning rules has allowed more away from settlements to be converted to dwellings, but conversion radically changes their nature and they no longer feel like barns ...

Here are some images of Manchester that might be of interest from a Norwegian mate of mine who was studying photography at Manchester Art College in the late 60's -
https://www.100norwegianphotographers.no/paul-rene-roestad

Thanks Rog, and thanks for the link also. He’s not a photographer I’ve come across before.

Thanks also for ordering the book, I’ll try and post it out tomorrow if I can get out of work before they close. I hope you like it - it’s a Blurb trade book and not a photobook so isn’t printed on photo paper unfortunately. It was the most cost effective way of producing a reasonably large book, as a similarly sized photobook would have been over twice the cost and not really viable for me to buy in volume.

... thanks for the link also. He’s not a photographer I’ve come across before.
Don't think he was ever published as a photographer - he went from Mcr Art Coll to the Royal Coll of Art - down south somewhere ;-) - and became lighting cameraman then cinematographer (which he still is, based in Oslo).
... it’s a Blurb trade book and not a photobook
That's fine, I'm familiar with Blurb Indigo production and understand the equation.

Back