Sharing selected files between Apple Photos and Aperture...

ChrisR

I'm a well known grump...
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I have recently acquired an iPhone, and have tried using it as a second camera (and also, an ever-ready "record" camera) in a few recent situations. It seems it semi-automatically loads its photos into Apple Photos if I connect the iPhone to my Mac. I've rarely used Apple Photos, preferring to keep using Aperture as my editor of choice (with any luck Aperture will continue working longer than I need it, so I don't have to learn a replacement). I do NOT want all my iPhone photos cluttering up my Aperture library; there are far too many random things like photos of the outer parts of the car before and after leaving it with a Meet and Greet car parking service! However, I do want to move selected photos into the Aperture library.

Any ideas how to do that? The only option I could think of was to export JPEGs from Photos onto the Mac hard drive and then import them into Aperture...

No-one?

In the import option in aperture if it recognises your phone can’t you select the ones you want.

Otherwise the option you mentioned seems the way.
When I use LR to import all my photos from the SD card,I then edit the ones I like and then export to a folder on the desktop then drag into Apple photos as I prefer the
way it catalogues them,it might seem a pain but you can batch export yours from photos likewise then drag into Aperture so it’s not too much of a job.

Last edited:
I've had a look at them on Photos, and "liked" the ones that are more interesting, but haven't yet worked out how to select the liked ones, either to move to an album, or to export! I guess I'm going to have to learn Photos a bit more... :(

Well, I finally found out how to show the selection of "favourite" photos (that have been liked) in Apple Photos. I made my selection from there, and was trying to find the best way to export them, when I noticed a Share menu selection in the File menu. Amongst the options there is "Add to Aperture"! (y)(y)(y)

I tried it, and ended up with two folders. One was called "Untitled folder" and the "Untitled folder 1".

Both contained photos from the recent holiday, but only the second had the selection I made in Apple Photos. Those images had filenames like IMG_0045 etc. The other contained only two images, also from the holiday, but with filenames like A8286D2C-D0A6-4570-824F-B41E0CE5E5F3. Images in both folders have EXIF saying they were taken with the iPhone back camera, but they are different aspect ratios; the IMG... images are 4:3 (and 12 mp), while the other two are 16:9 (and 7.8 mp), maybe that's a clue?

I don't really have any idea how the first folder got there; maybe I connected the iPhone to the Mac while Aperture was open, but I really don't remember.

So can anyone give me a clue what's going on here?

OK, I've checked again, and both kinds of images were in the set of favourites I had "liked". So the transfer process must have separated them into different Aperture folders.

Ii was going to link https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7732765 but I see you have solved the problem. You probably know you don’t have to physically connect the phone and computer but set iPhone photos to sync to Photos. Also for “note taking” Google photos is useful as a sort of backup — not true backup.

Back