sharm el sheikh landscape locations.

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
I'm off to Sharm el Sheikh in august for 2 week's. I can't actually wait, Prep-ing the camera bag as we speak, just a few more bits and I'm sorted.

I've been researching and researching for locations to shoot, But I'm coming up with, not a lot. I know there will be tonnes of locations, I just want to be prepared and plan my days for shooting before getting there.

If anyone has any suggestions for trips/safaris or locations, I'd be greatly appreciative. I am looking at shooting in the Colored Canyon, Just not 100% sure to either hire a car and go myself with my Girlfriend and friends that are going, Or go on a safari.

Anyhow, Cheers for the advise in advance.

John

I've only eve been to Sharm for diving so can't comment on the photo ops but in my experience you would have to be nuts to drive over there.
Might be worth a trip out on one of the dive boat as they tend to stay fairly close to shore and would give you a different perspective on the landscape .

Ras mohammed national park is pretty spectacular, take a small tripod and do the stargazing trip the milky way is as clear as a bell, theres some good opportunities for candid and street shots at the old town. I wouldn't recommend driving yourself around though apart from their total lack of road sense theres a few unsavoury locals around carrying big guns. If you can get a waterproof case for you camera the best shots are underwater though.

Ras Mohammed is on the list already and I plan to snorkel. Im looking at old point and shoots on ebay with cheapish dive cases, But I have been looking at the waterproof bag type things if I cant get a case. I don't fancy submerging my SLR as all tbh, And I case for a 500D wont be cheap.

Notes taken about driving, It's only really a thought at the moment.

I know there will be tonnes of locations,

:shake:

TBH it's all much the same ... Blackpool in the dessert!
Area around St Catherine's Monastry gives some options as does the climb up 'Mount Sinai' and there are some primitive bedouin camps around the roads nearby.
For me Cairo was the most interesting but I would probably think twice about going there now, potentially too volatile.

We went to Petra from Sharm last visit, the canyon is impressive, I think it cost about £180 but I have always wanted to go.

Up the coast (away from the airport, towards sharks bay) there's a lighthouse (Italian restaurant) on the cliff top, with some amazing views of the coast in both directions. Lovely food at the lighthouse too btw........ And an open air bar/club next door in some old ruins from midnight :)

I will be sure to check this out cheers.

And speaking of sharks bay it's a good place to dive as its one of the few places that actually has a beach. Most places just have a jetty over the coral.

went a few years ago and did an excursion called "sinai by starlight",blown away by the veiws and stargazing. worth every penny, have you thought about a cheap underwater camera(you can pick them up for £50) for snorkelling we borrowed one when we went and got some really good shots.

I've booked a starlight excursion already, It was on top of my list :) I plan to take a tripod and get some photos of the milkyway hopefully. As for underwater cameras, I'm looking at a cheap digital Point and shoot and a waterproof bag/packs. They can generally go up to depths of 10m, which I think should be fine.

Back