Sharpness on my 18-70 DX

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all,

Just thought I'd try and get some views on the sharpness of an 18-70 DX I've recently picked up.

Pictures are not edited in any way apart from converting to .jpg when saving. I do apologise for the picture size, I'm not sure how to post clickable pics :(

Original pic.

3546240363_cbd675c480_b.jpg

100% Crop.

3547048260_3124a0618a_o.jpg

To me, the crop looks very sharp though I would appreciate your views.

TIA

Dave

You do seem a little obsessed with sharpness...:thinking:

Looks fine but the real test lies with your proper shots, unless you take shots of lens' boxes all day long. :p

Not obsessed, I just want to make sure I've got a nice sharp copy before I really put it to the test. I had a tamron that was incredibly soft in my opinion and I think it's got me spooked :(

Thanks for your reply though (y)

I have that lens and love it, not had it long bought from a forum member to replace the stock 18 - 105 kit lens with my D90 which I found to be a bit soft.

Anyhow I think my 18 - 70 is well sharp, have a look at my flickr for some recent shots with the lens on a business trip to Croatia, all hand held no filters nothing just me my D90 and the 18 -70 DX.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kjr13/

The 18-70mm is a good lens i recently sold one for profit after i cleaned out the dust.
Only downside to lens lens is slight Vignetting at 18mm end & is abit of a dust magnet.

Crop looks fine, the 18-70 DX is an excellent lens.

Now you can pick them up for £90-£110 all day long, its an incredible bargain.

Time to stop fretting and take some real shots :)

Crop looks fine, the 18-70 DX is an excellent lens.

Now you can pick them up for £90-£110 all day long, its an incredible bargain.

Time to stop fretting and take some real shots :)

You're lucky I didn't pm you these pictures. I think I've pestered you enough though :p

Hopefully now that we're getting more consistent weather I'll be able to get out and about a bit more. Looking forward to it :)

Thanks for the comments everyone. Great help as always.

You're lucky I didn't pm you these pictures. I think I've pestered you enough though :p.

Always happy to help - your 17-50 definately looked "iffy" to me, this one is fine.

Actually the 18-70 is the only DX lens I decided to keep for what its worth, my D60 loves this lens.

I think it did too. Ah well, not great loss though would have liked to have kept the Tamron.

I think if this 'fad' of mine turns into a real hobby and I end up graduating to a D90 or similar, the 18-70 will stay on the D40x. It's a great lens (y)

Back