Shaving weight

Name
rd6743
Edit My Images
Yes
Feeling rather happy that without any additional cost I've just shaved 157g off the weight of my tripod and head.

Relatively recently I've gone from full frame DSLR to MFT. Mainly for portability, I did buy a Sirui AM-223 mini tripod and the ball head I bought at the time or came with it is 365g. Realised I still have a manfrotto head from my first tripod, a manfrotto befree and so took the manfrotto plate off it and put an acra swiss compatible plate on that was lying around and down 157g.

Put the camera on the tripod and took a photo, waited 20 minutes without touching it and took another photo and no movement.

:banana:

Although I suspect that weight savings may disappear when I get a new bag, want one like the lowepro protactics where you can access camera from the side without putting the bag down / easy access with protection for the camera and still some room for two water bottles and water filter gear etc.

Anyone got any further weight saving tips?

Yep as your now on MFT oly ?or pana? And will now have fully working 7 stop ibis ..ditch the tripod ive not used one in 5 years

Weight of camera gear has never been a problem for me. My heaviest lens is just over 3kg and I hand hold that or use a monopod.

^ This & Drill holes in everything :exit::LOL:

A mate of mine was heavily into saving weight and would use drilled Ti bolts wherever possible then put a tiny blob of silicone sealant over the ends of the holes to stop water or mud getting in and adding weight. I should add that he was a Moto GP mechanic so if there was a gram to be saved, it was worth saving!

Realised a few months back that I was carrying so much gear just in case ( ie spare body spare batteries and cards for the spare body. Flash even when no need for it plus all the other bits and pieces we collect extra lenses etc) and never even opening the bag. So have bought a accessory belt and lens pouches max of 3 spare batteries and cards in the mesh pockets of the pouches. Hoping its going to prove lighter remains to be seen. Do have a tripod bag if I think Im going to need it but a rare occasion.

I saved a lot of weight by adding an Olympus OMD E10 to my stable and only taking that when out and about in general. Of course it isn't any good for a lot of things (only have a 40mm f1.7 on it) but it does save a lot of weight. Interestingly, I was showing some of my camera gear to my son the other night over a video chat and showed him that the Olympus actually fits inside the lens hood of my Sigma 60-600mm! Now THAT is weight saving!

Realised a few months back that I was carrying so much gear just in case ( ie spare body spare batteries and cards for the spare body. Flash even when no need for it plus all the other bits and pieces we collect extra lenses etc) and never even opening the bag. So have bought a accessory belt and lens pouches max of 3 spare batteries and cards in the mesh pockets of the pouches. Hoping its going to prove lighter remains to be seen. Do have a tripod bag if I think Im going to need it but a rare occasion.
I clocked on to that I while back, when I was young I was carrying a ridiculous amount of stuff, most of which was an "emergency" piece of gear etc and never got used. Last night hike i did, took a head torch and three other torches, ranging from double AA, CR123 and a double 18650 torch. Barely used any as was full moon.

I saved a lot of weight by adding an Olympus OMD E10 to my stable and only taking that when out and about in general. Of course it isn't any good for a lot of things (only have a 40mm f1.7 on it) but it does save a lot of weight. Interestingly, I was showing some of my camera gear to my son the other night over a video chat and showed him that the Olympus actually fits inside the lens hood of my Sigma 60-600mm! Now THAT is weight saving!
Having similar experience, I think the OM-1 with the 12-40 and 100-400 combined weigh less than my DSLR and 24-120.
Yep as your now on MFT oly ?or pana? And will now have fully working 7 stop ibis ..ditch the tripod ive not used one in 5 years
Got the E-M10 mk4 to dip my toe in the water, didn't want to get too financially commitment too quickly. Loved the weight and size saving, but the wildlife stuff / autofocus wasn't great. Had the kit lens, but picked up second hand 12-40 pro olympus.

I preordered the G9II (0% finance for 2 years) and bought the Panasonic leica 100-400. But the G9II wasn't shipping quick enough and black Friday happened and I made a dent in my savings getting the OM-1 with the 12-40 pro II. That's the long answer.

The OM1 is a total game changer it’s ultra fast in all aspects . The bird I.d is unreal the only slow part of the system is me .out with a mate last week who was using a Nikon DSLR I got off 36 in focus shots before he even got focus as the birds flew off

Feeling rather happy that without any additional cost I've just shaved 157g off the weight of my tripod and head.

Relatively recently I've gone from full frame DSLR to MFT. Mainly for portability, I did buy a Sirui AM-223 mini tripod and the ball head I bought at the time or came with it is 365g. Realised I still have a manfrotto head from my first tripod, a manfrotto befree and so took the manfrotto plate off it and put an acra swiss compatible plate on that was lying around and down 157g.

Put the camera on the tripod and took a photo, waited 20 minutes without touching it and took another photo and no movement.

:banana:

Although I suspect that weight savings may disappear when I get a new bag, want one like the lowepro protactics where you can access camera from the side without putting the bag down / easy access with protection for the camera and still some room for two water bottles and water filter gear etc.

Anyone got any further weight saving tips?
Which camera have you gone for?

Back