Sheep etc.

Disappointing results today. Got what would have been some useful shots but which are woefully soft. I can't decide if this is user error or a lens that is either rubbish (it's definitely softer at the long end than backed off a bit - which defeats the whole purpose of its existence) or maybe I need to adjust the focus on it (which I can't be arsed doing as I've never needed to with any other lens). I can make them just about acceptable at the size I post here, but that's about it. My best plan is to get shut of it and give up on the sheep dogs. I knew I shouldn't have wasted my money on it as soon as I ordered it!

Soft:

_7517645.jpg

_7517614.jpg

_7517650.jpg

Different lens, not soft:

_7519333.jpg

_7519354.jpg

Sheep dogs in following post.

Funny day today at the sheep dog sale. I'm not sure it worked out all that well, but I did avoid using a long lens either for dog action or 'candids' of the crowd, sticking to the old school combo of a 50mm and a 28mm which seems to work OK for me. I also tried to loosen up a bit, but that didn't last long!

An example of the loosening up approach.

_7519497.jpg

Wonky, but not bothered!

skipton-6.jpg

Should have focused on the dog.

_7517795.jpg

Tightening back up to my natural style.

_7517693.jpg

skipton-9.jpg

skipton-14.jpg

Some general shots.

skipton-17.jpg

skipton-27.jpg

skipton-29.jpg

skipton-15.jpg

skipton-2.jpg

Well worth it, a slice of life that is unique to certain parts of the country.
The sales attract people from all over. The chap on the left in the last pic had traveled down from north of Inverness the night before, and the guy in the blue baseball cap had come over from the Republic of Ireland with a number of pups.

I'm guessing there was nobody from London, Birmingham, Manchester and those places that get an awful lot of political interest and government money.

A bit of an odd day today. There was a farm sale on, handily just fifteen minutes away from home, and a couple of sheep dog trials further away. The sale was more junk than farm equipment so I left early and headed for one of the trials. I knew I was pushing it to get there while there was still plenty left to run, but when I got sidetracked by some Lonks I was going to miss most of it.

The Lonks were worth stopping for.

Lonks with crossbred lambs.

lonks-3.jpg

lonks-5.jpg

Love the dinky little horns on the purebred Lonk lambs. Pity I'd left a long lens at home as they weren't approachable.

lonks-9.jpg

M for Morris. ;)

lonks-10.jpg

I was trying to get wool and hawthorn blossom in the frame and in focus. Just a daft idea.

lonks-2.jpg

I didn't fare too well at the trial. The sheep were flighty, few handlers penned, a lot only lasted a few minutes before the sheep ran away - they knew where the way off the field was almost as soon as they were released and headed straight for the gate at high speed!

abbeystead-2.jpg

abbeystead-3.jpg

The photography was pants, but I had a couple of enjoyable chats.

abbeystead-15.jpg

abbeystead-20.jpg

First show is on next weekend, but this week was sheep dog trial madness. I could have gone to one or more every day if I hadn't been stuck with work and hospital appointments. Typical.

However, I made it to the final day of the four day Deerplay Hill Trial and made the trek up to the letting out pen to get a different view.

_3008399.jpg

_3008440.jpg

_7518022.jpg

More tomorrow when I've sorted through what is mostly rubbish.

Almost four hundred shots and the ones in the post above were actually the pick of the bunch! A few more same old same olds...

k-48.jpg

k-49.jpg

k-57.jpg

k-59.jpg

k-69.jpg

k-3.jpg

k-18.jpg

k-22.jpg

k-7.jpg

k-5.jpg

Some non-trial pics in the next post.

My first show visit of the year and I was rusty. Lots of sheep, but not many Lonks. To make matters worse this idiot sliced his left thumb with his penknife minutes before the judging started and it wouldn't stop bleeding. My cameras, and everything else, are now covered in dried blood! I didn't hang around for the majority of the loading up at the end as I was flagging having arrived too early... Although that meant my parking space was handy.

Good to have the craic with the few Lonk folk who were there though.

These are from the first run through editing the 400+ frames. I might post more later if I find anything different to the norm.

_7518233.jpg

The Kempson brothers - who did well with their Lonks and Gritstones.

_7510043.jpg

_7518257.jpg

_7518255.jpg

_7518307.jpg

_7518482.jpg

_7518522.jpg

_7518537.jpg

Covid put paid to the Great Harwood Show in 2020 and 2021 so it was good to be back but avian flu and bovine TB meant no poultry or cattle classes, making the show field a little empty. Sheep numbers overall were good with lots of commercial sheep (Texel and Beltex mostly) and plenty of 'posh sheep' as one Lonk lady said! However, Lonk and Gritstone numbers were down - I heard that might have been because there was a sheep-world wedding on the same day. There was a cool wind blowing, which was preferable to the torrential rain of 2019! Maybe I should have ventured away from the Lonks and Grits to get some different pics. Or maybe not?

gth-4.jpg

Talking of weddings...

gth-20.jpg

I tried getting in close without getting in the way. Not easy, and risks injury from unruly sheep!

gth-30.jpg

gth-47.jpg

gth-53.jpg

gth-59.jpg

Afternoon is time for the judging of the Supreme Champion and presentation of trophies.

gth-73.jpg

gth-75.jpg

gth-81.jpg

I've just been reminded of some photos I took in 2016, my first summer visiting shows originally in search of poultry, then general show stuff and eventually sheep. At first I was drawn to 'photogenic' sheep and people before I became obsessed with Lonks and Lonk breeders. :LOL:

Jacobs are great subjects for photographs.

_7506629.jpg

This chap was probably used to being photographed.

_7506636.jpg

_7506661.jpg

I don't usually do b&w conversions, or crop, but this seems to work. Thoughts?

_7506661-2.jpg

The Great Harwood shots are very good imo. Have you changed your processing slightly because these seem slightly more colour saturated than normal? An improvement in my view, giving a little more life to the shots
Ta.

Still processing the same way but maybe my taste has changed.

A new sheep dog auction for me today. The sun shone (now and again) and I struggled a bit.

_7510258.jpg

Panic ensued when I tried to put the files on my PC. I couldn't find the ones from my 'wide angle' body! After doing my mindfulness exercises (making a brew)up of tea) I applied some logic and found them. Phew. Only had a cursory glance through but I have found one shot that astounded me. It didn't need cropping, and it's pretty much in focus!!

_7518739.jpg

The longish grass made keeping the dogs on teh field in focus tricky. That's my excuse. TBH I'm not cut out for that kind of photography. It rarely makes for good pictures to my mind. Nice enough photos of dogs in action, but not interesting or informative beyond that. More to follow later I expect. Fingers crossed I got a couple of interesting pics.

Yesterday I did a few things I don't usually do which I get the impression a lot of photographers do often do! I used my 70-200 lens a lot, often at wide apertures, and I set the camera to high speed to shoot bursts. Did it pay off? Not really!

I still don't like shallow depth of field for my photography, unless there's a good reason for it (which is almost never). It might make for 'good photographs' but there's too little information in the blurry bits to make good pictures IMO. I still don't really like the 70-200 focal length range - especially for candid shots as I think it distances the viewer from the scene/subject. 200 is too short for dogs herding sheep! Shooting bursts did work, mostly for the action shots of dogs but also when I kept going past the expected peak of action for other subjects and captured something unexpected. The unexpected often makes a good picture. So it was a good learning experience.

Lesson's learned. Definitely give up on the running about dogs unless they're close. Go back to the usual mid-range focal lengths. And as Tony Ray-Jones famously wrote in his notebook, "Get in close"! That is what brings viewers into pictures.

Setting the scene of a new venue.

bnth-2.jpg

bnth-7.jpg

Long lens.

bnth-52.jpg

Short lens.

bnth-8.jpg

Shooting past the expected peak.

bnth-56.jpg

Shallow depth of field for a reason

bnth-34.jpg

The usual stuff.

bnth-33.jpg

bnth-44.jpg

bnth-45.jpg

Keeping an eye out for the unusual.

bnth-50.jpg

As always the hardest part is making pictures rather than snaps. That's what keeps me going I think.

Another day, another sheep show! yet again a poor turnout of Lonks. There was Lonk related wedding yesterday so maybe there were a few late nights! There were plenty of Gritstones, my second choice of sheep, though. I also took a look at some other breeds and classes. I was back to my usual lens choices today, but shooting longer sequences. Which sometimes worked.

_7510277.jpg

My good deeds for the day were lending my flat cap and acting as a Voice Activated Lightstand for a Yorkshire Post photoshoot.

_7518892.jpg

Getting in close was my primary aim this time. These two at 28mm.

_7519031.jpg

_7519041.jpg

I think I made some useful additions to the archives. More to follow.

Last edited:
This was the second sheep-only Todmorden show, at a different venue to last year. The pens were on what is usually a football pitch.

Rather a pic heavy post.

Ivan Alvin is a a very placid sheep, Although he looks a bit tired of the constant grooming his young owner was giving him.

_7510352.jpg

_7510449.jpg

Apart from 'getting in close' I was also trying to catch people interacting today. Not wholly successfully.

Keeping the records straight.

_7519047.jpg

Post-judging discussions with the judges.

_7519059.jpg

_7510489.jpg

Judging.

_7519095.jpg

_7510374.jpg

_7510410.jpg

A pair of Gritstones from above.

_7510408.jpg

Hand.

_7510481.jpg

This was worth a try. Not sure it works.

_7510322.jpg

Winners.

_7510497.jpg

I liked the tension in the halter ropes. Don't know if I got the best angle I could have.

_7510446.jpg

Last edited:
One last one from Tod. A rare B&W conversion for me. I liked the action in the picture, but it's slightly OOF. So slightly gritty B&W seemed the obvious thing to do!

_7519078-2.jpg

Last edited:
BTW my cap did make the front page of the Yorkshire Post yesterday. :LOL:

And there was a write up and more pics of the show. (y)

Pic stolen from Facebook.

Screenshot 2022-06-13 at 21-06-20 Facebook.png

Note how a tall pylon was hidden behind Edie (the headline is wrong). When I spotted the photographer elsewhere I thought he was trying to capture reflections in sunglasses. Looking inside the paper I was right. Following link might need signing up to read (I'm logged in with my library card) https://www.pressreader.com/uk/yorkshire-post/20220613

_7510358.jpg

I find it interesting how photographers working in different spheres look for different types of photographs. Journalism might deal with similar subjects top documentary but the pictures which are sought are often quite different. None of mine would likely make the front page of anything!

To cap it all, congratulate your cap for me. Considering it is probably unused to posing it’s done a great job ㋡.

Odd day today. More on that later. In the meantime I've started persevering with shots, but all I end up with is more choices. I'm thinking middle row, second in from left. At this precise moment...
eyes.jpg
Heavily (for me) processed.

_7510961.jpg

Voting for the next one, 3rd from the left.

Another trip over the border to Harden Moss, mainly for the sheep despite it being the final of three days sheep dog trialing. I've been once before, in 2019, and got lost. This time I used Google to provide a route and got lost again going. Sort of lost really, but added 10 miles to the trip. Decided to return using last time's route and got even more lost, adding another 10 miles. if that wasn't enough the Lonk turnout was poor again. Last time it had been good. To cap it all I got turfed out of the pens when the Lonks were being judged. Last time there was no bother, but Mrs Officious wasn't there. Hey ho. I did as I was told to keep the peace. The Lonk folk were on my side and thought it was daft. One even told me later I should have paid no attention! All was not lost as I'd got plenty of photos. I doubt I'll go again because of the journey. But if I do someone might find out I'm not always so easy going... :LOL:

Anyroad. There was a stick making demo. Which was interesting and I should maybe have made more of it. Although I think as a subject it deserves more than a few photos taken in a marquee. These were my best.

_7510917.jpg

This one I've made two crops of...

_7510909.jpg

...this crop for composition...

_7510909-3.jpg

...this big crop to show detail that would be evident in a decent size print of either of the above.

_7510909-2.jpg

The tools of the trade look home-made and fascinating.

_7510906.jpg

There were plenty o sticks in evidence around and about. I'm a sucker for any with Lonks on them. However, it's not easy to make good pictures of sticks in the wild. Despite a lot of shots I didn't get one I was really happy with.

_7510855.jpg

Sheep pics at a later date.

It's a contender. It really is difficult. In my head I can see the perfect combination of bits from a lot of them!
It’ll have to be a montage then though I’m not sure that’s your thing. :)

That’s a very ‘technical’ thing for forming the horn into a crook, haven’t seen that sort before.

I'm not photoshopping it if that's what you're suggesting :LOL: !
Heaven forbid, I was thinking more of mounting an overlapping series rather like Hockney’s “joiners” I suppose, haven’t really thought it through though.

That’s a very ‘technical’ thing for forming the horn into a crook, haven’t seen that sort before.
There were other tools which I should have photographed. Not to mention various horns. :rolleyes: As I said, something like that needs a better prepared approach.
Heaven forbid, I was thinking more of mounting an overlapping series rather like Hockney’s “joiners” I suppose, haven’t really thought it through though.
That's a possibility. Not sure if it would work though. A more considered grid, rather than a total image dump, might suit my way of doig things. Or do what I usually do - pick one at random from 'the best'!!

I didn't spend much time with the sheep dogs, and by the time the Supreme Championship was underway I was ready for home. I did stop to watch one of my Lonk friends run his dog, but alas he had unruly sheep and retired as his dog was getting flustered and confused - and rather hot as the day had warmed up. She was glad to cool off.

hm22-65.jpg

It wasn't just Lonks that were down on numbers, there were no Swaledales at all this year. Whitefaced Woodlands were well represented with it being in their home territory, as it were. So I got plenty of pics of them. They are a most photogenic breed IMO, with an interesting history and genetic studies have shown them to be closely related to Lonks. Almost as soon as I arrived I'd had an encounter with Mrs Officious telling me to get out of the penned off area when sheep were arriving. When she disappeared into her trailer cum office I went back...

hm22-10.jpg

hm22-5.jpg

hm22-8.jpg

As ever there was titivating being done. The purple shampoo was a bonus.

hm22-12.jpg

hm22-13.jpg

Then comes the judging. Mrs O must have been busy.

hm22-21.jpg

Finally some headshots.

Parresque back of head shot!

hm22-11.jpg

Ewe profile.

hm22-25.jpg

Tup profile.

hm22-26.jpg

Gritstones and Lonks next up.

The set-up is semi-permanent in a paddock/small field. There are two gates in the surrounding wall for unloading/loading the sheep, permanent fencing (just about visible on Google) and a lean-to where the hurdles are stored.

hm22-29.jpg

hm22-51.jpg

Some of the usual Gritsone stuff.

hm22-33.jpg

hm22-37.jpg

Had enough!

hm22-38.jpg

And some Lonk stuff.

Baby oil and movement papers.

hm22-45.jpg

hm22-46.jpg

It might be a serious job, judging, but there's p*** taking too!

hm22-49.jpg

Random sheep fashion.

hm22-41.jpg

A few randoms.

I'm a sucker for a slogan on a hoodie...

hm22-2.jpg

And for sheep clipart.

hm22-27.jpg

For 47 years Harden Moss was noted for it's grandstand, seen here in 2019 when the trials and sheep show were last held.

_7503194.jpg

It had become unsafe and the decision was made to demolish it - shortly before part of it blew down in a gale. Now it's chairs in marquees. If the funds can be raised so will a new grandstand.

hm22-55.jpg

The flag still gets waved by the course director to alert the 'letters out' that another competitor is ready.

hm22-57.jpg

There was a display of local hound and beagle packs during the lunch break.

hm22-73.jpg

The sheep for the trial had a shady spot to rest after they'd tormented the dogs with their recalcitrance and foot stamping.

_7510854.jpg

A final Woodland for good luck.

_7510871.jpg

Thanks for putting up with my endless sheep photos!

Back